Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
DebraHart

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default Setting off STORE ALARMS

Please Login to Remove!

I called my carrier - they called RIM - so....who knows why a trip to the mall is a major nightmare???? My Pearl sets off store alarms like crazy. Funny huh? Yeah, until your purse gets searched!

I need an answser - it is no longer funny - entering and exiting a store makes me have a rash every time! Today I had my purse searched at a THRIFT STORE!

BLACKBERRY - WHAT IS UP WITH THIS "non" issue?

Nobody will admit that it exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Help! Does anyone have a fix? An answer? Does this happen to you? Let's bring this issue into the LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

never happens to me, it is usually prox cards that will do it
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraHart View Post
I called my carrier - they called RIM - so....who knows why a trip to the mall is a major nightmare???? My Pearl sets off store alarms like crazy. Funny huh? Yeah, until your purse gets searched!

I need an answser - it is no longer funny - entering and exiting a store makes me have a rash every time! Today I had my purse searched at a THRIFT STORE!

Nobody will admit that it exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Help! Does anyone have a fix? An answer? Does this happen to you? Let's bring this issue into the LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's likely something other than your BlackBerry.
You might also want to try switching to decaf. You seem a little on edge.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

That's really weird and isolated.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums.

In my four years around here and one million posts (and I don't recall them all) you are the second user (in my recollection) who had had this issue.

Now, on the other hand, with 14 millions users, over 215,000 members of this forum alone and over 1,020,000 posts on this forum alone, I do find it odd that only two people are at least vocal of the issue. I am not denying it happens, I don't know and I don't walk in your shoes. Perhaps there is one make of theft prevention hardware that is more sensitive to the radio signal that BB emits... I don't know.

But only two?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

They put parts to build a tiny 22 in your pearl, got shipped to the wrong dept.
EDIT: I noticed you're in Austin, assuming you go to UT...you might want to build the 22.

Last edited by strike2tamu; 07-30-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

I thought it was happening to me once, turns out the security tag in my leather coat reactivated itself after time. While it was deactivated when I bought it, since i didnt cut that little tag out, it somehow regained it's strength after about a year and I was settting off every alarm in the mall.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
raven71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 249F7DCD

Wirelessly posted (8310 Curve)

That's ok my phone set off a car alarm when I first got it.
I was in a parking lot on Crackberry Forum.
Every time I pressed the track ball the alarm would go off on a car next to me.

They thought I was B.Sing them on Crackberry.
Has never happened again.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Wirelessly posted (via telepathy)

Never happened to me. My sidekick used to set off my store alarms a bunch though, back in the day.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
biggdogg40509
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 247B16AC

this is odd, i have never heard of this happening personally and i have had a 7520 & 7100i and am about to go to a Curve.
this is odd
PIN: 247B16AC
Xbox Gamertag:biggdogg40509
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraHart View Post

I may have a couple of answers.

ONE: It may not be your BlackBerry - have a friend walk into then out of a store, maing sure no alarms get set off - then repeat while carrying your BlackBerry (you stay outside) - if it triggers, it is the BlackBerry - or something inside it. Repeat the same experiment with just the battery - and with the BB with no battery in it. If none of these things trigger the alarm, it's something else - probably somjething else in your purse or something in your clothing.

TWO: If you can establish that you set off their alarms without performing any illegal acts, you can tell them to screw off if/when they want to search something. Faults and flaws in their alarm system are their responsibility, not yours. They are not permitted to subject you to unwarranted search and seizure simply because they have flawed or faulty equipment. You're not guilty of anything and you don't have to take any crap. Get the store owner over and involved - and call the cops yourself - chew them out for the public humiliation at their election and without true probable cause - and insist that they provide you some remedy beyond their apologies.

THREE: If they refuse, find one of those lawyers who advertises on TV - you may have to call several - explaint that many stores buyt not all have this flaw in their alarm systems and what the result has been for you - take the lawyer shopping - he may want to carry a hidden video recorder - and you can bet that you will no longer be the victim when such incidents occur.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
heffman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

...i used to have this issue with my old moto razr. havent really experienced it w/ my bb, though. try moving your bb higher up on your person so that it doesnt trip up the alarms.

interesting that they are stoping you to search your belongings. i've never had that happen before, and ive set off a few.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
GingerKid416
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 246616eb
Carrier: T-Mobile

I used to have that issue as well. Turned out I one of those little magnetic strips stuck to the bottom of my shoe. Have you check that?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

the issue the jsanders was talking about turned out to be a tag in a wallet I believe. I am 1000000% sure its not the BB
Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

MBW, you first suggestion is a good one.

The remainder, pfffttttt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
TWO: If you can establish that you set off their alarms without performing any illegal acts, you can tell them to screw off if/when they want to search something. Faults and flaws in their alarm system are their responsibility, not yours.
If you are on private property, in their store or in a mall, you may have very little leg to stand on in telling a security officer or store owner who has suspicion of theft (via the alarm) to "screw off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
and call the cops yourself - chew them out for the public humiliation at their election and without true probable cause - and insist that they provide you some remedy beyond their apologies.
Just make sure you let the cops see you chewing whomever out, and publicly humiliating others, and yes threaten them all soundly.

And be certain to get it all on film so you will be proud of yourself years from now and can laugh about the night you spent in the local jail for failure to obey and disorderly conduct.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Actually, you do have a leg to stand on. EAS devices are a means of theft deterant but can not be used to implicate an individual, whether they are guilty or not. Just like Wal Mart stopping people to do reciept checks on the way out of the store, they can NOT legally stop you unless they have reasonable cause and the EAS device is not considered reasonalbe as they are easily tripped by phones, keys and even a loop of wire in your pocket. All an EAS antena is looking for is the circuit of wire in their device and if it mistakes your phone's circuit board for the loop then it will trip. I work retail and in order to stop and detain an individual, against their will, you must be making an arrest. To make an arrest you must have seen them take an item and proceed out of the store with it. Except in Texas where concealment of an item displays intent to steal and is considered a crime. If they search your purse against your wishes they are guilty of an illegal search and can be sued. HOWEVER, when asked most people give permision for the search as they don't want to appear to be a criminal, thus voiding your rights to claim the illegal search.

And just to prove how LAME California is... you can have video from a singal camera showing someone pick up an item and immediately walk out the door with no stops and no breaks in footage or camera switches and this is STILL not admissable as proof of the crime. An agent of the company must personally witness said crime and at no point lose sight of the person in order to make an arrest.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Nice barbwyr. Thanks.

So MBW's advice to publicly humiliate, telling the owner to screw off and chew them out is good advice to get you moving along and much much less embarrassment than a look-see in the handbag to show them that you are in fact not stealing anything.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Nice barbwyr. Thanks.

So MBW's advice to publicly humiliate, telling the owner to screw off and chew them out is good advice to get you moving along and much much less embarrassment than a look-see in the handbag to show them that you are in fact not stealing anything.
Oh...I never said that..lol. I personally just keep walking and if they ask me to stop I say No. Haven't been stopped yet, cuz if they had, I'd be rich...lol. I don't agree with the humiliating the owner part because it's not a flaw in the system it's a simple coincidence.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I think I would take that action as well.. keep walking.

It was another user above who recommended making the scene.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
Peeps

Go to: options > advanced options > return stolen goods
Closed Thread