Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
bmw1986
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Question about Cell Coverage - 8830 vs 9630 Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently in NYC and have an 8830 from Sprint. The call coverage is okay, lately I have been roaming a lot. However, I am wondering if the call coverage has been improved on the 9630. I know the 9630 is a 3G device and the 8830 is not. I am debating switching to Verizon from Sprint but I am not sure. Anyone on here switch from an 8830 to a 9630 on Sprint?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Mattywalnuts
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Options->Status->Hmm
Carrier: Evil Empire

I have Verizon and work in Manhattan. I never had any issues with my 8830 in the NYC or commuting on the LIRR. I returned my Tour yesterday to the Verizon store because the data signal on the device would go out on the train and around where I live (Nassau County). I never had these issues with my 8830 so I reactived it and I am completely fine waiting to see what Blackberry comes out with next. I probably could of exchanged my Tour however I only had few more days in the 30 day trial and didn't want to risk it. You can't go wrong with Sprint (our company phones are Sprint) or Verizon in NYC, they are the best providers in the area. The Tour was a great device, speed, camera, OS, but for what I use my Blackberry for (BES email and streaming music) the upgrade wasn't worth the 2 year extension.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattywalnuts
I have Verizon and work in Manhattan. I never had any issues with my 8830 in the NYC or commuting on the LIRR. I returned my Tour yesterday to the Verizon store because the data signal on the device would go out on the train and around where I live (Nassau County). I never had these issues with my 8830 so I reactived it and I am completely fine waiting to see what Blackberry comes out with next. I probably could of exchanged my Tour however I only had few more days in the 30 day trial and didn't want to risk it. You can't go wrong with Sprint (our company phones are Sprint) or Verizon in NYC, they are the best providers in the area. The Tour was a great device, speed, camera, OS, but for what I use my Blackberry for (BES email and streaming music) the upgrade wasn't worth the 2 year extension.
We are on the same page. Seems to be an issue with the hardware

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Garrr... I have felt the same way. There appears to be some issues with the signal. It is not as strong as with the 8830. While I am on Verizon, I feel like the service with this device equates to T-Mobile.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
dlbaker1179

Model: 9630
PIN: 30C17E76

I Went From 8830 to 9630 on Sprint.. I Have signal Issues from 9630 in same spot i didn't with 8830. called sprint thought it may be device and they said there is a update RIM will be releasing soon, not sure it the rep meant, maybe to get better signal, but i ordered a new will have it 8-3-09
Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Carrier coverage is the same no matter what device you have from that specific carrier. You might get a bit better reception from one device over another however. They all have holes in coverage.

In NYC, it can be really hard to pinpoint as the buildings can block the cell signals, plus there are just too many people using cell service these days so the towers tend to get congested from time to time. Not much you can do about that.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
bmw1986
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting..thanks everyone! My 8830's USB port broke and Sprint ordered me a replacement phone. However, how do I backup the phone? Is there another way besides connecting it and using BB Desktop Manager?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1986 View Post
Interesting..thanks everyone! My 8830's USB port broke and Sprint ordered me a replacement phone. However, how do I backup the phone? Is there another way besides connecting it and using BB Desktop Manager?
Gottta use the USB cable. No other way to do it AFAIK.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
bmw1986
Thumbs Must Hurt

DAMMMMMMMMMMMMM...I just want the theme that I purchased, no other way to do it?
Closed Thread