Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Sagz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100t
Carrier: tmobile
Default Boxtone free DST utility

Please Login to Remove!

This is their good free utility its a beefed up graphical version of the query.

Was adviced by the vendor that they are updating it so im pulling the link for now.

They Updated it but there are still some quirks, Im not able to see individual users listed. The charts are purty.

BoxTone DST Expert for BlackBerry

So instead look at this screeshot.

BoxTone

Last edited by Sagz; 02-22-2007 at 01:57 PM..
Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
cancundan

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

Sagz--It is now available on the BoxTone Website
Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
JPenrose

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing

-J
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks guys. Awesome to offer this utility for free.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: 241EBD8C
Carrier: A&T

I've tried to download it twice and both times when I open it in winzip it says invalid archive.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienA
I've tried to download it twice and both times when I open it in winzip it says invalid archive.
Feel free to email me directly and I'll help you out.

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Wow, what a nice and impressive little utility! Thanks for bringing this to our attention and thanks to BoxTone for supplying such a useful and friendly software tool.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: Being free, it's not the most secure tool in the world against people that know where to look for interesting information. I'd keep whatever PC you install this tool on locked when not using this utility. That little act of discretion can prevent a compromising position.

Last edited by edonin; 02-23-2007 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Brilliant tool and even better for free, thanks guys!! I know this is free so understand if support is unavailable but I have a question:

DSTQuery on my UK BES shows one patched user and so does BoxTone - cool!

DSTQuery on my US BES shows two patched users (same status as the UK user and I know the BBs show good) but BoxTone shows that the helper is patched but the patch not applied. Assuming BoxTone is querying the db in the same way as DSTQuery, why the discrepancy? Have I missed a step?

I think the GUI is fantastic but need to know it shows at least the same data as DSTQuery before relying on it (which I really want to do!).

Also, I realise free = less functionality which is fair enough but is there an easy way to display both my BESs on the same page or do I have to go back to the home page an reconnect each time?

cheers
Stu
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin
Wow, what a nice and impressive little utility! Thanks for bringing this to our attention and thanks to BoxTone for supplying such a useful and friendly software tool.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: Being free, it's not the most secure tool in the world against people that know where to look for interesting information. I'd keep whatever PC you install this tool on locked when not using this utility. That little act of discretion can prevent a compromising position.
There's going to be a patch coming out today which will negate that security concern you mention.
Boxtone
Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

Got it installed and it looks great, however we only use SQL authentication, not NT integrated. Any hack or workaround for getting SQL only auth to work?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
Brilliant tool and even better for free, thanks guys!! I know this is free so understand if support is unavailable but I have a question:

DSTQuery on my UK BES shows one patched user and so does BoxTone - cool!

DSTQuery on my US BES shows two patched users (same status as the UK user and I know the BBs show good) but BoxTone shows that the helper is patched but the patch not applied. Assuming BoxTone is querying the db in the same way as DSTQuery, why the discrepancy? Have I missed a step?
I'd be glad to take a look at that discrepancy and see what might be causing the error if you have time. Feel free to email me directly.

Thanks
Boxtone
Old 02-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplit
I'd be glad to take a look at that discrepancy and see what might be causing the error if you have time. Feel free to email me directly.

Thanks
Thanks for that John. I am heading off for the day now (in the UK, yet I still have to work on DST :->). If it is still there on Monday, I will contact you. Thanks again, great tool!

cheers
Stu
Old 02-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward
Got it installed and it looks great, however we only use SQL authentication, not NT integrated. Any hack or workaround for getting SQL only auth to work?
Yes there is. Email me and I'll fill you in on the details...
Boxtone
Old 02-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin
UPDATE: I now have a patch available that will clear up the security concerns you mentioned. If you or anyone else is interest please email me. This patch will also be publicly available via our website on Monday.
Boxtone
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Jon, it looks like you guys used a base installation of JRE 1.4.2. I doubt that it matters much, but just in case (and for the sake of irony), this should be upgraded to JRE 1.4.2_11 (u13 is the latest) in order to support the correct timezone information for DST.

Also, getting this error:

Code:
Login Failed!!! 

Please check your SQL Server hostname, username and password and attempt to login again.

NOTE: The SQL Server login must be in Windows Authentication mode for the BoxTone DST Analyzer to gain access.
Code:
<?php 

$mshost = "BESDB1";
$msname = "DOMAIN\sa_bes";
$mspass = "password";
$msdb = "BESTest";

?>
All of the information is correct (although I changed the domain name). BESDB1 is a backend MSSQL 2000 server. The server I'm running this from, SNOWPLOW, is a member server on the domain that has just been built (no restrictions) for this purpose. I resorted to using my BES Admin service account, although I originall added the sa_splow service account to the server with public and rim_db_bes_server permissions to BESTest (equiv to read-only).

Any ideas?

Last edited by jibi; 02-24-2007 at 05:32 AM..
Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

I noticed in php.ini that the msql and mssql extensions were not enabled, although the DLLs were included. I uncommented these, restarted Apache, but this still not correct the problem. phpinfo now shows mssql as an option, where it didn't before. Not sure if this is something that went screwy during the installation/configuration of Apache or what, or if the extensions even need to be enabled (I would imagine they would, though). Since the code for the PHP pages is encoded, I can't really troubleshoot it. No errors are being thrown in the Apache error log (aside from some variables missing in the header info of the error page), either.

Last edited by jibi; 02-24-2007 at 06:56 AM..
Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Jon, can you post up the SQL authentication hack, as well? Or just email it to me (sent you an email a few minutes ago).
Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
MousePad

Model: 8830W
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Hello guys...

Odd problem... Every XP machine where I try to install the thing, it says it finds an Apache 2 install and can't continue... Even on a fresh install...

Any ideas?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quick question...i've got the utility installed and I'm setting it up for the first time. On the setup screen the first time you fire up the program, i know what to put for username, password, and database - what do i put for SQL server host? We run our database locally on our BES server so I assume i put the server name then \ but what comes next? what does instance mean? Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

You likely aren't running an extra instance, so you shouldn't need to put anything for that part. Just put the database server name.