BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
JMMARICH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Who would you blame? What would you do?

Please Login to Remove!

3 months ago, I ruined my Razr launching my boat with it in my pocket. Lesson learned.

I decided to dip my toe in the BB market and bought a 7100t used off of Ebay. It got here, I set it up, but couldn't get email to work. It showed an old pin and my new pin. It asked me if I wanted to switch the handheld to the new pin and when I selected yes, it said "UNKNOWN ERROR. HANDHELD CHANGE ERROR".

I called T-Mobile, and they worked on it for 2 days. The guy was really nice, but basically decided that my 7100 was faulty, and since I bought it used, I was SOL.

I accepted this, but was frustrated. My fault for buying used.

I upgraded to an 8100 last week, got it setup..go to setup email...same friggin error. It shows the old pin from my 7100, and cant switch to the new 8100 pin.

I called T-Mobile thursday..talked to RIM Saturday..and am about to call them back tonight and quite honestly..I think I am going to be a dick.

I am so frustrated. Nobody can seem to get the damn thing to work on the email system, and thats what I bought it for.

What would you do? I should have had email working correctly 3 months ago. I am usually real patient...but the more I think about it, the more it chaps my ass.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Get a new SIM. You may have damaged it when it was in the RAZR.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
JMMARICH

It figures it could possibly be that easy, and they haven't thought of it. Is this an easy thing to do? Just go walk in the store?

--Josh
Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

Did any of the sales/tech reps switch your SIM? If not, like mckinneycm, I'm think the SIM might be the problem... electronics and water...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMARICH
It figures it could possibly be that easy, and they haven't thought of it. Is this an easy thing to do? Just go walk in the store?

--Josh
Yeah, just tell them the story of the RAZR and that you think the SIM is damaged. They may charge like $20 for a new one. But that's nothing compared to the Pearl.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
mrpg

Quote:

--Josh
Pretty much, just head into a carrier store and tell em your SIM got damaged and they'll give you a new one and tie it into your account, program ya tele number on it and thats that.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
JMMARICH

Yeah, I asked on both occasions if the sim could be doing this. I was told no. Saturday, I mentioned to RIM that if a new sim might do it, I could easily go in and get one. He said it wasn't needed.

Argh..thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

wow your logging into your BIS account on t-mobiles website and hitting the button that says change handheld then putting in the correct IMIE number and PIN number and you get this error? If so its T-mobiles problem not RIMS have them delete your account and set up a new one that should fix it.
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Yeah, I asked on both occasions if the sim could be doing this. I was told no. Saturday, I mentioned to RIM that if a new sim might do it, I could easily go in and get one. He said it wasn't needed.

Argh..thanks guys.
I think you need to start with a clean slate.

You need to sheetcan that old SIM.

By the way, SIMS cost $5 on eBay and they work fine [I bought them twice and they worked fine]. But for speed, may want to go to a T-Mo store and insist on one for the Pearl [for free] or buy one.

Then delete your Desktop Manager, reinstall with the disk that came with the 8100. [You need to get rid of any traces of the old phone/SIM].

And I would not get too mad at T-Mo based on your representation that they spent a lot of time with you to try and fix the problem. Most companies would have said to take a hike since you bought the 7100 phone on eBay.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 10-16-2006 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
projectkrsx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: sprint

go back to the store where you bought the pearl and tell them that you need a new sim. when i got my pearl, store rep gave me new sim without charging me.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectkrsx
go back to the store where you bought the pearl and tell them that you need a new sim. when i got my pearl, store rep gave me new sim without charging me.
Yeah that should work for him since technically he is buying a new Pearl and they should give him a new SIM with that phone, especially if the old one has problems.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 10-16-2006 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Where are you getting this message? When you try to change PINs on the BB or on the web site. Try the web site (which does not care about the SIM).

I had the same problem some months ago. Had to get RIM to fix it. Took FAR too long...
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
JMMARICH

Yes. I am trying to switch on both my handheld and on the website. Same error, both phones. T-Mo took my blackberry plan off, put it back on. Reset everything...still wouldn't work. At that point, they said "Its RIM." I have been talking to RIM since Thursday.

I called tonight, and after 45 minutes, I finally got someone. He checked...said the same thing everyone says "Man thats wierd. I haven't seen this before." and said "It still shows as being worked on...you should get a call or email tomorrow."

I guess its a waiting game. I just want my freaking email to work so I can actually use this thing and not have to sit here in my home office all the time.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I had the exact same problem. It has nothing to do with the SIM card. It has to be corrected in the BIS network by RIM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
JMMARICH

Yup. You are correct sir. This morning, I woke up to find 200 emails sitting in my box. So...apparantly it was always on their side of the house..and my last phone should have had email capability for the last 3 months prior to buying the pearl. I am happy on the one hand that it finally works..and ticked on the other. Oh well, thats life I guess .

--Josh
Old 10-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
untjoker

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
3 months ago, I ruined my Razr launching my boat with it in my pocket. Lesson learned.

I decided to dip my toe in the BB market and bought a 7100t used off of Ebay. It got here, I set it up, but couldn't get email to work. It showed an old pin and my new pin. It asked me if I wanted to switch the handheld to the new pin and when I selected yes, it said "UNKNOWN ERROR. HANDHELD CHANGE ERROR".

I called T-Mobile, and they worked on it for 2 days. The guy was really nice, but basically decided that my 7100 was faulty, and since I bought it used, I was SOL.

I accepted this, but was frustrated. My fault for buying used.

I upgraded to an 8100 last week, got it setup..go to setup email...same friggin error. It shows the old pin from my 7100, and cant switch to the new 8100 pin.

I called T-Mobile thursday..talked to RIM Saturday..and am about to call them back tonight and quite honestly..I think I am going to be a dick.

I am so frustrated. Nobody can seem to get the damn thing to work on the email system, and thats what I bought it for.

What would you do? I should have had email working correctly 3 months ago. I am usually real patient...but the more I think about it, the more it chaps my ass.
I had the same problem because I used to have an 8700G with Tmobile then went to a non-blackberry phone then upgraded to the 8100. I called Tech SUpport, they reset my PIN to the new phone and it worked in 10 minutes. If that doesn't work I would think it would have to be your SIM card, because mine was not a hassle at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
ttormamny

so were you able to finally figure it out? what was wrong?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Quote:
I am happy on the one hand that it finally works..and ticked on the other. Oh well, thats life I guess .

--Josh
It definitely "is life." I worked on setting up a website for a friend and spent hours trying to figure out was wrong. Also made three calls and spent two hours talking to the web hosting firm. All said "it's on my end,"

Later called yet another rep and he said he was checking on a few things, made some corrections on "his end" and low and behold the next day the site was up.

So it was their problem, not mine.

Yes, that definitely is life.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #19
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Good luck, but have patience. it will be fixed and you will be a very happy RIM customer.
I've experienced similar issues in the past with the RIM network, but they are the exception, not the rule.
Smooth sailing otherwise.. and i manage an acoxxxx of many devices..!
Closed Thread