BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
island
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: NONE!
Carrier: iPhone 3G @ AT&T
Thumbs up Pearl + Garmin Nuvi 660 (BT) = PERFECT!

Please Login to Remove!

I just picked up a Nuvi 660 widescreen bluetooth GPS unit with a built in transmiter and paired it with my Pearl and to my shock, EVERYTHING WORKS FLAWLESS! I can see all my contacts perfectly on the Nuvi, dial them, see my signal status and battery level, and even pipe my phone calls through my FM radio in my car.

Also, this unit has a great FM Traffic sensor that is handy if it's in your area to tell you what to avoid when there is traffic. In any case, I am shocked that this works so perfectly together so I figure everyone else would love to know about it. You can get more info on the unit at Garmin's site.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
dooks88
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

How good is the sound quality on the callers end? Can they hear you clearly?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-moron

The sound quality on both the Nuvi 360 and 660 isn't anything to write home about. You sound sort of tinny to the other caller and their internal speakers are pretty lame for listening. The 660 is "slightly" better than the 360 but not even remotely close to the TomTom series of navigators in sound output or quality. A major minus of the Garmin Nuvi line (a bunch actually) is they don't have speed sensitive (or noise) sensitive volume settings. So if you set it up so it is loud enough at cruise, it tends to be way too loud when you slow down or stop.

I have a 360 Nuvi and a TomTom 910. Most of the time I'd rather use the TT 910 as it is much louder and a more customizable interface. I pretty much hardly ever use my 360 as Garmin blew it in some major areas as far as I am concerned. No QWERTY keyboard option is a big failure. You can't input an address by just starting with a zip code like TomTom and the list goes on.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
laz305
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
PIN: 23F0D62F
Carrier: AT&T

what is a Nuvi? send link plz
http://mobile41.com/index.htm
myspace.com/lazarus305
Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Garmin: nüvi 660
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
The sound quality on both the Nuvi 360 and 660 isn't anything to write home about. You sound sort of tinny to the other caller and their internal speakers are pretty lame for listening. The 660 is "slightly" better than the 360 but not even remotely close to the TomTom series of navigators in sound output or quality. A major minus of the Garmin Nuvi line (a bunch actually) is they don't have speed sensitive (or noise) sensitive volume settings. So if you set it up so it is loud enough at cruise, it tends to be way too loud when you slow down or stop.

I have a 360 Nuvi and a TomTom 910. Most of the time I'd rather use the TT 910 as it is much louder and a more customizable interface. I pretty much hardly ever use my 360 as Garmin blew it in some major areas as far as I am concerned. No QWERTY keyboard option is a big failure. You can't input an address by just starting with a zip code like TomTom and the list goes on.
Great post. I have wondered about the NUVI 360. I guess I will pass. Which TT do you like best?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

garmin makes awesome gps systems. If anyone out there is interested in buying a gps unit for their car, STAY AWAY FROM MAGELLAN. If you dont believe call their customer service and see how long you sit on hold. Ive owned 3 of their gps systems and they all failed. I switched to garmin and couldnt be happier.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Great post. I have wondered about the NUVI 360. I guess I will pass. Which TT do you like best?
Honestly the Nuvi is a love/hate relationship. It COULDA been an awesome piece of work but they dropped the ball in so many areas I almost regret buying it at time. They really "dumbed down" the interface. So many simple things take a lot of screen taps to get done.

Biggest downside for TomTom is that their customer service SUCKS!!!! Maybe I should repeat myself. I have an originall TT GO and the 910. I recently wrote customer support on the 910 and it took them almost 3 weeks to answer. That is just plain pathetic! Fortunately my device has been pretty good. Some early 910's had mount problems and some people also had no clue that it takes 2 clicks to secure the mount to the windshield.

I do like the widescreen display of the 910 a lot. It has a ton of room for MP3 and there is a company that makes an encoder so you can watch vids on the TT. I like the 910 the best because I work in Europe from time to time and I like having the Euro maps pre-loaded. The speed camera and safety camera alerts work the best on the TT models as well. The 910 will even show you the speed limit of the road you are on as well as your current speed. Biggest issue though with this is it blinks red if you go about 5mph over the posted limit.

I could write a book on the models but if you want a clean interface, the TT wins hands down. If you want something for your pocket, then the Nuvi isn't a bad model BUT the BT implementation is ok but the speaker sucks on all the Nuvi models. If you crank it up enough to hear it in most cars, then it distorts.

If you travel to Europe, get out the lube when you buy the Garmin maps as they really put it to you. They want about $300-$400 for the Euro maps alone!!!! If you buy the Euro Nuvi and buy the US Maps they are about $150. Can anyone say price gouging? The TT 910 comes with the Euro maps for free.

Any you have any specific questions I can answer in more detail let me know. If I had to keep just one of my GPS systems at the moment it would be the TT 910. I pretty much just use my Nuvi on my bicycle now or when walking.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Honestly the Nuvi is a love/hate relationship. It COULDA been an awesome piece of work but they dropped the ball in so many areas I almost regret buying it at time. They really "dumbed down" the interface. So many simple things take a lot of screen taps to get done.

Biggest downside for TomTom is that their customer service SUCKS!!!! Maybe I should repeat myself. I have an originall TT GO and the 910. I recently wrote customer support on the 910 and it took them almost 3 weeks to answer. That is just plain pathetic! Fortunately my device has been pretty good. Some early 910's had mount problems and some people also had no clue that it takes 2 clicks to secure the mount to the windshield.

I do like the widescreen display of the 910 a lot. It has a ton of room for MP3 and there is a company that makes an encoder so you can watch vids on the TT. I like the 910 the best because I work in Europe from time to time and I like having the Euro maps pre-loaded. The speed camera and safety camera alerts work the best on the TT models as well. The 910 will even show you the speed limit of the road you are on as well as your current speed. Biggest issue though with this is it blinks red if you go about 5mph over the posted limit.

I could write a book on the models but if you want a clean interface, the TT wins hands down. If you want something for your pocket, then the Nuvi isn't a bad model BUT the BT implementation is ok but the speaker sucks on all the Nuvi models. If you crank it up enough to hear it in most cars, then it distorts.

If you travel to Europe, get out the lube when you buy the Garmin maps as they really put it to you. They want about $300-$400 for the Euro maps alone!!!! If you buy the Euro Nuvi and buy the US Maps they are about $150. Can anyone say price gouging? The TT 910 comes with the Euro maps for free.

Any you have any specific questions I can answer in more detail let me know. If I had to keep just one of my GPS systems at the moment it would be the TT 910. I pretty much just use my Nuvi on my bicycle now or when walking. I couldn't see keeping the Nuvi 660 as it sort of defeats the purpose of a small pocketable GPS as it isn't as small as the 360.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
mmad

Carrier: TMobile

How did you get the BB to synch up bluetooth with the Garmin 660? I've tried for three days and they won't recognize each other. Any suggestions? Thanks much!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Nguyen2

Carrier: Cingular
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmad
How did you get the BB to synch up bluetooth with the Garmin 660? I've tried for three days and they won't recognize each other. Any suggestions? Thanks much!
I have an 8100 Cingular Pearl as well and I can not get the Pearl to pair up with my Garmin 660. I have just updated the Garmin's software to

SOFTWARE VERSION 2.70
AUDIO VERSION 1.0
GTM SW VERSION 3.70
GPS SW VERSION 2.80
BLUETOOTH SW VERSION 2.40

The BlackBerry is 8100
V 4.2.0.69 (Platform 2.2.0.40)
V 3.8.4.28 (Cryptographic Kernel)

They just don't seem to be able to find each other. Can someone help?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
linuxpro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Works flawless with the Nuvi 310 as well it's exactly the same as the Nuvi 660 but smaller screen

Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
canonis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Garmin Nuvi 660 on Amazon

They hide the price but I added it and it's currently $756.06:

Garmin Nuvi 660 Pocket Vehicle GPS Navigator and Personal Travel Assistant
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

i just bought a laptop to use with a gps puck and MS Streets and Trips 07. i think its a way better solution then a separate receiver, but of course not as portable. i just need a small lcd screen to mount on the dash thats all... all in all though, i spent $400. it has 80gb harddrive space, i can play all of my music, go online though the pearl, anything with a laptop! nothing gets outdated either...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
Spider

Carrier: T-Mobile

More information on this pairing would be helpful, I cannot get it to pair either!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #16
Spider

Carrier: T-Mobile

I just went into the bluetooth setup on my BB... Go to Options and make sure discoverable is selected. Eventhough bluetooth was on, my discoverable was set to NO. I put it to yes, and wam, it would be found by my Nuvi 660! Only thing that sucks ; the text messages and call log does not work. Otherwise, voice dialing, phone status, and phone book works fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
hls811

Model: Pearl

I have a Garmin StreetPilot 2820 and it linked up perfectly w/ my Cingular Pearl. no issues at all doing the connection. Sound quality is very good as well...

The SP 2820 has an external mic (not sure if the Nuvi 660 also does), and it picks up some background/road noise but not really any more than a speakerphone in a car would.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
canonis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow, the Garmin StreetPilot 2820 looks nice but it's a tad expensive. I found it for $711 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Garmin StreetPilot 2820 GPS Navigation System with Bluetooth: Electronics
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #19
LPeeples

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I use the Nuvi 660 on business trips to find my way from appointment to apppointment and its flawless. Nice thing is it's flat and fits in my bag. Connects to the Pearl just fine, although I don't use it that way. Between the Pearl and 660, you have a great combo for the business traveler.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
hls811

Model: Pearl

I don't want to side-track the thread, but the 2820 is an excellent GPS also... I got mine from Amazon this past December for $551.99 (That was a big part of the reason I jumped on it!).

Its much bigger than the 660 (I had the 550, which is similar, but non-widescreen and non BT) - but form factor-wise, the Nuvi is alot more convenient. The 'extras' in the Nuvi are also helpful for travellers, and it really is much more portable.

The 2820 has more robust features as far as the GPS itself goes - one thing I wanted and couldn't get in the Nuvi line was custom detours. With the Nuvi, you hit 'detour' and it does it all for you, you don't have any options.. With the StreetPilot line, you can detour by specific roads which I think is a huge convenience!

And, the main reason I got the 2820 was the built in XM Radio - it allowed me to take one more thing out of my car and condense GPS and XM into one device.
Closed Thread