BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
PacketRat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AC9B18
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I'm probably the last one to notice.

Please Login to Remove!

I just noticed that the NUM key (cap) has NUM on the key even though its not used to enter numbers. ? Now if you hold down the ALT key then hit NUM you get the NUM sign top right. They should really rename that to CAP.

I am really starting to think this device was rushed into service before it was ready.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Get real

Totaly intentional. Alt-num is num lock. The up arrow means caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketRat
I just noticed that the NUM key (cap) has NUM on the key even though its not used to enter numbers. ? Now if you hold down the ALT key then hit NUM you get the NUM sign top right. They should really rename that to CAP.

I am really starting to think this device was rushed into service before it was ready.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #3
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I guess my learning is done for the day ;) I never noticed the pop-up in the top right corner before, didn't know there was a num lock and thought the key was mislabeled too ;)
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please search or read the manual! This is covered in many many many threads...

The keys with NUM and CAP are SHIFT keys. Notice how the shift arrow is at the bottom? Also notice that the default function of every key on the BB is on the bottom? The upper/secondary functions are accessed by pressing the ALT key and this approach is thoroughly consistent on the Blackberry. NUM and CAP are the NUM and CAPS locks when used with the ALT and SHIFT keys. Every Blackberry (at least all four models that I've used) functions this way.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It is also in the online "help" system.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
PacketRat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes I am sure it is but I am looking at it from a user view. I have to make sure and take everything into consideration before I deploy these out to 900 users. How many will read the manual? maybe 10%. The rest will be calling the helpdesk. Now I can prep them with a here is why. When looking at the button the NUM shows up larger then the bottom part so looks like its the designated button. I still think its a bad idea. Maybe if it was smaller it wouldnt stand out so much.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
PacketRat
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would also like to add. I do consider this a helpful forum, I hope it doesn't turn into a "OMG you didn't read the manual we are going to humiliate you" type of board.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I would also like to add. I do consider this a helpful forum, I hope it doesn't turn into a "OMG you didn't read the manual we are going to humiliate you" type of board.
No, it isn't. But why is it easier to believe "I am really starting to think this device was rushed into service before it was ready", rather than anything else? In another words, I didn't know about it therefore is poorly designed? I think this is what generated some of those responses....
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Tips for the asking

Feel free to give out the tips document

Quote:
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

If I was preparing to roll out something, and that doesn't mean it has to be a blackberry, to 900 people... I would most likely take a group of about 15 people and do a little pre-rollout testing... take 1/3 of them and give them a 1 hour training session explaing all this, and a followup 1 hour session after they have used the device for a week. Take the next third and give them some customized help documents... kinda like a 1 page, double sided cheat sheet. Take the last third and give them nothing.

This is going to do a number of things... first it's going to allow you to see what the main tech support issues are going to be, which will allow you to be prepared. It will also give you a general idea of what you are going to have to do to prep your users for a rollout like this.

I think as a responsible admin, my first thing to do is to personally read every document that came with the device, you are responsible for the whole thing, you better know it inside and out. I would then make sure that my carrier(s) has given me access to everything, including their support teams to escalate issues to and as well to provide support for the network side of the devices. I would then make sure that my TSupport account was all setup and that I would have access to complete support from the manufacturer.

No offense to you, but for a rollout the size that you are talking, if you haven't done everything I have mentioned above, maybe you shouldn't be rolling these out.

You should be able to run a pilot group of users for 2-3 wekks and have a pretty good idea of what kinda things you are going to come up against. It will also allow you to work on your default policy too as people are always tempted to do things they aren't supposed to.

cd.

Quote:
Yes I am sure it is but I am looking at it from a user view. I have to make sure and take everything into consideration before I deploy these out to 900 users. How many will read the manual? maybe 10%. The rest will be calling the helpdesk. Now I can prep them with a here is why. When looking at the button the NUM shows up larger then the bottom part so looks like its the designated button. I still think its a bad idea. Maybe if it was smaller it wouldnt stand out so much.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Corey's is right on. When we rolled out the BlackBerrys we had customized laminated tip cards (5X7) made up which showed people how to do the basics, since no on reads manuals, uses online help systems, or searches. That's a reality. Then we piloted it. They we did 1 hour hands on training sessions in about a half dozen locations on three continents. I traveled a lot then
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
AlbertoM

dupe -please delete

Last edited by AlbertoM; 12-13-2005 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
AlbertoM

Good ideas, Corey. Probably could get by with less with a "train the trainer" approach wherein key personnel in each area get the training. The "cheat sheet" is also a good idea, NJBB. Heck, you could go through this forum and make a really good guess as to what the FAQ's are going to be...!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
PacketRat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hence my observations and such before roll out. We are on hold for the 8700 roll out due to a number of reasons including known bugs in the os. Before this device gets rolled out there will be documentation done for all personal involved from the helpdesk to the on site technicians. I get information from RIM support along with other web sites. My original message was more of a statement then anything else. Do I read the manuals yes. Do I believe that this device is ready for roll out. No. Then again those are my thoughts. I am disappointed in the responses I have gotten from this message. It seems that everyone is more concerned with trying to find fault with people positing instead of sharing thoughts for a common goal which I would hope is, "we like BlackBerrys. Lets share some knowledge".

Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents.
Closed Thread