Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default Apple Puts Screws to iPhone Users, Resellers with Proprietary Lock Out

Please Login to Remove!

Amazing, just amazing! Why do iPhone owners sit idly by and not rise up against this? I like the analogy of taking your car in and the dealer welding the hood shut so you couldn't do any service yourself or have anyone else than the dealer work on it.

Apple Puts Screws to iPhone Users, Resellers with Proprietary Lock Out

Out of curiosity, I did a quick comparison. From the official Apple support website:
  • Service arranged through Apple costs $79. A $6.95 shipping fee will be added (and now they're trying to lock out anyone else from replacing the battery other than their $79 service.)
  • Will the data on my iPhone be preserved? No, the service process will clear all data from your iPhone.
  • How long will service take? The service process takes approximately one week from the day your iPhone is shipped to us if arranged through the Online Service Assistant or Apple Technical Support.
An OEM battery for my BlackBerry Torch is available on eBay for as little as $15.99 shipped (generic replacement from $9.98 shipped), it takes me about 10 seconds to slide the cover off and pop the battery in, and there's absolutely NO data loss from the phone when you replace the battery. I just really shake my head at the difference here.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Apple Puts Screws to iPhone Users, Resellers with Proprietary Lock Out

This is a desirable feature. The question is just who or what the feature is desireable to.

Sounds like the makings of another class action lawsuit.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
sharpycl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Apple Puts Screws to iPhone Users, Resellers with Proprietary Lock Out

Apple is just stacking up more and more reasons for me to consider another OS when my choices of new phones opens up in December.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

oh noes people need to buy a 2.99 screwdriver to take the device apart again after service.

on a platform that is not made to be user friendly, the battery is permanent in the phone, and this will prevent (in apples) eyes people getting stiffed from 3rd party repair places who cant fix it in the first place.... tho i think those places also can afford a 3 bux screw driver. just saying.

Last edited by wabbit; 01-26-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
oh noes people need to buy a 2.99 screwdriver to take the device apart again after service.

on a platform that is not made to be user friendly, the battery is permanent in the phone, and this will prevent (in apples) eyes people getting stiffed from 3rd party repair places who cant fix it in the first place.... tho i think those places also can afford a 3 bux screw driver. just saying.
Uhh, sorry, but you MISSED the point. We're not talking about 3rd party repair places. We're talking about the difference between paying Apple $80, sending your phone in, and losing all your data from it - vs popping the back cover off, slding in your new $16 OEM battery and sliding the back cover on in 30 seconds with no data loss - YOURSELF!

But then, you did nail it - "a platform that is not made to be user friendly."

Another way to put it - "a platform designed to wring additional excess $$$ from its userbase over its lifetime."
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Uhh, sorry, but you MISSED the point. We're not talking about 3rd party repair places. We're talking about the difference between paying Apple $80, sending your phone in, and losing all your data from it - vs popping the back cover off, slding in your new $16 OEM battery and sliding the back cover on in 30 seconds with no data loss - YOURSELF!

But then, you did nail it - "a platform that is not made to be user friendly."

Another way to put it - "a platform designed to wring additional excess $$$ from its userbase over its lifetime."
same thing that mac books now have ram soldered in.

they dont want you to fix the device they want you to play with it, and if it does break returned to them for repair not your local geek squad etc maybe yes they can fix, maybe they claim they can, but really cant.

i dont agree with it, but its apple, i expect nothing less.....
Closed Thread