Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default OS 4.1 posts

Please Login to Remove!

I highly suggest to the admins that they delete or lock all of these posts about OS 4.1. There are already threads, and all users, including n00bs, should be able to search for posts.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
aergina
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: ATT & Nextel

7520.8700c.8310.8350i
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

It is really the purpose of the RIM Software forum to cover OS questions. There are often massive surge of OS questions with every major new OS upgrade.

Generally, I just ignore duplicate threads and occasionally it does make information slightly easier to find for newbies, assuming a few of the experienced posters post hyperlinks.

The best way to cut down on duplicates is to paste links to other threads -- so that helps prevent spawning further duplicates. This is additional work on forum users though, but it is just the way how forums work.

Some other mods lock down duplicates, but personally I prefer to move threads, merge threads, or create a FAQ. So therefore, somebody needs to write an OS 4.1 FAQ
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
It is really the purpose of the RIM Software forum to cover OS questions. There are often massive surge of OS questions with every major new OS upgrade.

Generally, I just ignore duplicate threads and occasionally it does make information slightly easier to find for newbies, assuming a few of the experienced posters post hyperlinks.

The best way to cut down on duplicates is to paste links to other threads -- so that helps prevent spawning further duplicates. This is additional work on forum users though, but it is just the way how forums work.

Some other mods lock down duplicates, but personally I prefer to move threads, merge threads, or create a FAQ. So therefore, somebody needs to write an OS 4.1 FAQ
Mark, I agree 100%. But I can tell you from all the work I had to do answering the questions about how to unlock the themes in the Vodafone 4.1.0.211 package, it doesn't seem to help. I kept posting links to the thread, but still had people posting "How do I do this on my 8700?" in the thread where I gave the specific instructions.

It's just frustrating. Searching should be the first thing anyone does if they have questions, and that goes for any forum, not just this one.

And honestly, questions like "Will 4.1 work on my 7520?" would all be answered if people read your 4.x upgrade FAQ.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
And honestly, questions like "Will 4.1 work on my 7520?" would all be answered if people read your 4.x upgrade FAQ.
I agree with everyone here, but who really wants to read a 450+ message thread? I sure wouldn't want to if I was new.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
I agree with everyone here, but who really wants to read a 450+ message thread? I sure wouldn't want to if I was new.
You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Quote:
. . . in the thread where I gave the specific instructions.

And because they do not want to read, then this becomes the second hand of the equation.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
You hit the nail on the head with this one.

[/color][/color][/b]And because they do not want to read, then this becomes the second hand of the equation.
Well, that is a good point, but it is likely that over half of those 450 posts could be eliminated because they are simply, "How do I do x, y, or z?" posts.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Well, that is a good point, but it is likely that over half of those 450 posts could be eliminated because they are simply, "How do I do x, y, or z?" posts.
what he said.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

There is a simple solution to the whole situation... When you click on the New Topic button, make it open the search page.

Another thing would be to force new accounts to wait for 48 hours before getting there activation email. If they want answers, then they have no option but to search for the first 48 hours, or go to another forum.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 02-03-2006 at 05:09 PM..
Old 02-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
penk

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
There is a simple solution to the whole situation... When you click on the New Topic button, make it open the search page.
that'll learn 'em!

(i actually like this idea. like so much it hurts.)
Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:

Another thing would be to force new accounts to wait for 48 hours before getting there activation email. If they want answers, then they have no option but to search for the first 48 hours, or go to another forum.
Both are wonderful suggestions.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
rcbjr

Model: 8700

I like, I like, I like.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

Enforce a manditory signature for every BBF user stating "use the damn search button before you post"!!!!!

On a serious note, I like d_fisher's idea of a lockout period for new accounts before they can post - although perhaps 12 or 24 hours would be long enough. At least this forces the noob to hunt around the site and get a feel for the BBF life before they post!

Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Man... all these suggestions are a year old... I got banned, and criticized, and yelled at and made fun of because I asked for something to be done about this all a year ago...

But this year it's different... why? cause I really don't care anymore... I know I have said it before, but I really can't be bothered anymore to participate here.

People complain that when they do search they find 50 posts all asking the same thing, with the same answer... use the search button right? well if all of these 50 people who posted redundant threads would have used the search button to begin with, there would only be relevant threads left to return via search.

Not wanting to censor posts? Why have moderators then... let people have a free-for-all. In the meantime, while we do have moderators, make a forums called 'Your mother should have swallowed' and move all the redundant posts into that forum, and don't include it in the searched forums or in the new posts query.

It's then not considered censorship, it's just moving the retards post to a more suitable, out of the way place.

I used to love helping people out and answering questions... I feel that I used to contribute pretty good stuff, but after so many arguments with the mods, after people (on their first post, even) start polls to ban me, I find myself asking what's the point? The people who do come for help can't get anything because they get lost in a ton of stupid posts and the people who are too lazy to search for their answers talk smack about the people who actually do the helping.

I said this months ago, and I will say it again... this place is great, it's great for people to share knowledge, and others to learn, but until something is done about the people who are lazy, the more knowledgable people are going to start leaving. Period.

In addition to that, some people here are tolerated even though they *never* contribute anything productive to threads they post in... they constantly criticize people who know far more than them... Have a look at the 37 posts made by pawn... I have been banned for a couple (stretching here) of not so nice posts... Guarantee half of this guys posts are things I would have been banned for, and this guy is about as useful as a pylon...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/member.php?u=3671

I had a pretty relaxing Christmas break, and I figured something out... I am not going to spend time arguing with people on here to try and help them out. The answers are all here, they can find them themselves. If people really want to find the answer, they will... if not... f*ck em.

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 02-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #16
aergina
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: ATT & Nextel
Default Newbie comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
People complain that when they do search they find 50 posts all asking the same thing, with the same answer... use the search button right? well if all of these 50 people who posted redundant threads would have used the search button to begin with, there would only be relevant threads left to return via search.

I used to love helping people out and answering questions... I feel that I used to contribute pretty good stuff, but after so many arguments with the mods, after people (on their first post, even) start polls to ban me, I find myself asking what's the point? The people who do come for help can't get anything because they get lost in a ton of stupid posts and the people who are too lazy to search for their answers talk smack about the people who actually do the helping.

The answers are all here, they can find them themselves. If people really want to find the answer, they will... if not... f*ck em.

cd.
I don't mean to be all in the mix...but...Corey has a point...
I still consider myself as a Newbie...but when I do "search" ...
All I find mostly irrellevant posts about my search...
I try to change the wording and everything...
I mostly read Stinson's and Mark's page. But usually I just read everyone get pissed off at each other (LOL) and learn from what other posts show...
Some people could read and not post one thread and learn more than the one that has 500 posts under thier name and avatar...
Sorry to be all in the KOOL-AID and not know the favor...

7520.8700c.8310.8350i

Last edited by aergina; 02-10-2006 at 02:32 AM..
Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
go2duke

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

The problem with the search functions are that we are telling everyone to "go search for ringtones or whatever... Give that a try... think of something you have asked someone to search for and run that search.. you get half the threads saying exactly that... search for ringtones...

I get grumpy with the repetitive nature of this myself, but saw a comment from Dawg or someone earlier in another thread that made a good point.. just don't answer them. They will eventually use the search.

Now.. you want people to use the search more.. MAKE IT BIGGER AND STICK OUT... like google.. it is in your grill.. not buried under links on the right.

-G2D
Closed Thread