Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T
Default Just got the iphone

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I broke down and went to the dark side a few days ago when I decided to give the iphone a try. Here is my take on the device.

First off, the interface is amazing. Apple has out done its self. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to one hand the device like I did with my BB, but it works great.

The web browser is, by far, the best of any mobile device. If anyone can make an argument against that, I would love to hear it.

The touch keyboard isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. The interface corrects words based on context and it certainly isn't any harder then sure type.

The full HTML email is great as well. I was also able to add my companies exchange server to the iphone. It only syncs mailboxes, not contacts or calendar, but I can live with that. The only thing I didn't like, where the BB is much better in, is notification. I liked being able to assign different alerts to different accounts. The iphone doesn't do this and the notification itself is weak.

Having the built in ipod is also a plus. I didn't think it would be a big deal until I actually had it available to me.

For Mac users, like me, it is also the best solution. Syncs perfectly with ical, address book, itunes and iphoto. No clumsy, 3rd party solutions.

Overall I like the device and I'm glad I got it. Is the iphone a BB killer? For some people yes and for some no. For me it is. You have to make up your own mind if it is for you.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

I just wish it had a real keyboard ... suretype just isn't for me either.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

Moved to Handheld Forum
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc View Post
Moved to Handheld Forum
Sorry about that, thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

I haven't broken down yet but I will. I agree with everthing you have pointed out in regards to the iphone. So far I have the ipod Touch and it's all that and a bag a chips minus the phone function.
But I think I am going to wait for a newer version or the iphone 2.

Rolo
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
gdbjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 30886771
Carrier: Verizon

I went from a Pearl to a iPhone (waited in line 7 hours on the day it was released) and then to a Curve. The iPhone is a fantastic media device, as a phone it is OK, but as a communications device I felt it was awful, and here is why:

1) The fact that you can sent SMS's in the background. You have to watch and wait while the iPhone tries to send it. And you can't do anything else while it tries to send.

2) No push email. Yahoo supposedly will do this with the iPhone, but I had no luck in getting it to do it consistently.

3) No 3rd party apps(This will probably be fixed soon) I need my Googletalk and Yahoo clients.

4) Have to buy ringtones, or a 3rd party program that breaks after every apple update. This one kills me. I have been putting my own ringtones on phones for years, and have a nice collection and know all the common ones by heart. Hated to change them or pay to have them match up with what was on my previous phone.

5) The keyboard does suck. It guesses most of my poor typing correctly and fixes it, but not all of it. And it is slower to use.

6) Very hard to search the address book, since there is no keyboard to do a quick lookup. I don't have a lot of contacts (about 400) and I had a tough time, can't picture a power user with 1000+ contacts trying to look someone up.

So if apple ever fixes 1, 2 & 3 I might give it another try.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

argon, never thought you would join he "gifted few", make sure you visit iphonesource.com if you need anything. I like the review and came to same conclusions.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo1971 View Post
I haven't broken down yet but I will. I agree with everthing you have pointed out in regards to the iphone. So far I have the ipod Touch and it's all that and a bag a chips minus the phone function.
But I think I am going to wait for a newer version or the iphone 2.

Rolo
Hmm, the iPhone itself might as well be "minus the phone function" often anyway. I travel lots for biz, and have a few colleagues who went for the iPhone. Have had at least 3 separate occurrences now with different ones where I had a perfectly usable signal on my BB and could make calls, while their reception was so bad the phone was unusable. Since I'm on AT&T, same as their iPhones, the ONLY variable was the devices themselves. I agree the iPhone has the best browser, the nicest screen, better multimedia - but damn, the #1 reason I carry this thing is as a PHONE - if it isn't any good at being a PHONE, then I just can't see it, sorry!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Its been a week now and I don't miss my BB one bit.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

and yet you are here posting

you might find this site more helpful iPhoneSource.com

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-29-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
and yet you are here posting

you might find this site more helpful iPhoneSource.com
I still like to see what is happening in the world of BB. With the right device, I may be back. You never know.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I still like to see what is happening in the world of BB. With the right device, I may be back. You never know.
I agree. It's good to keep up with as much as possible.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Hmm, the iPhone itself might as well be "minus the phone function" often anyway. I travel lots for biz, and have a few colleagues who went for the iPhone. Have had at least 3 separate occurrences now with different ones where I had a perfectly usable signal on my BB and could make calls, while their reception was so bad the phone was unusable. Since I'm on AT&T, same as their iPhones, the ONLY variable was the devices themselves. I agree the iPhone has the best browser, the nicest screen, better multimedia - but damn, the #1 reason I carry this thing is as a PHONE - if it isn't any good at being a PHONE, then I just can't see it, sorry!
Funny, I have yet to SEE anyone I know who owns one have any issues. BUT I have read ALOT of problems from second hand people.
If you read through this site you'll find alot of problems with BB but there is no need to emphasis those issues.

The Iphone has issues but people need to get a grip and not take it as a an attack on RIM. You love your BB, great! I love mine and I am sure I'd love the Iphone.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo1971 View Post
Funny, I have yet to SEE anyone I know who owns one have any issues. BUT I have read ALOT of problems from second hand people.
If you read through this site you'll find alot of problems with BB but there is no need to emphasis those issues.

The Iphone has issues but people need to get a grip and not take it as a an attack on RIM. You love your BB, great! I love mine and I am sure I'd love the Iphone.
I was in denial for awhile myself where I was looking for reasons to hate the iphone. It wasn't until playing with one for awhile, then actually getting one that I realized it was a great phone and would work out better for me then the BB. I imagine some here are the same way.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

I've read alot of people who HATE the key board. The issue of mis-typing letters and this was major to some. OK, if your fingers are the size of sausage links YOU WILL have some typing problems. These people with fat fingers probably cannot use a regular key board for that matter. Try the gym, it works wonders people!
I have not encountered this problem with my IPOD TOUCH and it's the same size of the IPHONE.
OK, I feel better now that I am done with my rant. Now back on topic.

The iphone is great and I understand it's not for everyone.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

I think the iPhone is best for it's media features, and the we browser is awesome. But, typing, instant email and phone function keep me with my BB.

I'm not going anywhere! RIM still has a few tricks up its sleeve!
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

You are right! I had the opportunity to play with the BB Curve and am in love with this model now! I know it's a little old.
I am honestly torn because I was holding out for the Iphone when my contract expired but since I've been in love with my BB Pearl I am strongly considering the curve now!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

When I bought my generation-one iPod I used to work in Downtown San Francisco as a network consultant. I have an apartment very close to BART which is San Francisco's underground train system. It's kind of similar to New York underground trains, but the BART is much more posh.

Anyway, I take this train everywhere. I can get to pretty much any downtown location faster than you get your car out of a parking lot in the city. As such I tend to listen to the iPod a lot, and I tend to be around a lot of people in public all the time. I see what they wear, what they use as an MP3 player or cell-phone, etc.

When I first bought the iPod Gen-one I remember the first time I saw someone else with the white head-phones that are now synonymous with the iPod. At first I saw one other person on the train or in public. Then maybe 3 or 4. Now I see them all the time. What sticks out are those that don't have an iPod.

With BlackBerry it has been the email signatures. Always the various sent by BlackBerry signatures at the bottom of the email. And now just as before, I am starting to see a few Sent by my iPhone signatures in the email. It's a crude barometer of iPhone adoption, but more and more I am seeing these in email. And very telling is that a few of the people that used to send me mail and had the BlackBerry signatures are now sending mail with the iPhone signatures. It reminds me of the headphones I used to see on the train and in public. I don't know if it will grow and those phone headphones grew, but it has at least started to grow. I now have 6 friends and colleagues with the iPhone, and 3 more who are BlackBerry users who are considering it. And I had nothing to do with any of them except that I am now asked questions as to my experience with the device because of that little signature in the email.

Viral marketing 101.

Best,

Alex Alexzander
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

honestly....i'm not the apple fanboy type. apple has a history of making devices with alot of "ooohs and aaahhs" and bells and whistles that tend to attract a crowd of people i really don't want to associate with.

the exception though, is their ipod line, because they do ipods and itunes pretty well. there yet remains to be seen a true contender to this line (dare i say the zune 3 will be it ?).

over the 6+ months of hype & publicity over the iphone and the touch....i never really messed with them nor did i care. recently i saw a touch being offered with a gift card at target, so i thought it was a good enough deal to get one ($50 gift card free)....

the interface is really neat. but the device has it's shortcomings, and in no way would i replace a BB with an iphone. the ipod has wifi, which works cool, so i think when my time is up for a new BB, i'm going to hit one up with GPS. so 2 pretty small portable devices can take care of all my communications needs....good enough for me i figure.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I have been thinking about the iphone for alittle while now, since I like gadgets...but I'm a scrooge when it comes to money...has to be cheaper for me to jump.
Closed Thread