Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

The BB OS is great for what it is intended to be... Rock solid and secure.... I think if I could combine the Droid's OS with that of the design and security of the BB that I would have the perfect device...

I can't see the Droid making a big splash in the bizz community... I am just a consumer and my life is on my device... If I have an appointment, I rely on my device to remind me about it.. I hardly ever check email on the PC and hardly ever need my PC for anything more than goofing off...

With the Droid it makes my consumer life far easier... Sports Tap is awesome!!!! Sits on my main screen and updates all my favorite team scores right there. I can click on a contact that I have added to my main screen and choose right from there if I want to call, sms, or email them... I can see all the news right on my main screen via a news widget and I can see my weather forecast for up to 10 days right on the main screen as well...

I think BB's are still hands down the best at what they are intended for.... As a consumer though, I do think the BB's are falling behind...

The 2.0 Android OS thus far has been rock solid for me... No reboots or lockup's yet... My son got the HTC using the 1.6 OS and we are bringing his back today for an exchange as it keeps freezing up on him...

I love BB's and I love this Drod... If I were running a bizz it would be the BB hands down, no questions asked... If I am running my personal life then for me at least, the Droid works better for what I want out of a device..

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-20-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

I looked at the Droid Eris yesterday and I have to say that is one slick device. I loved the home screen concept, the widgets, and the ease of use. But... no charging dock made the phone less interesting to me. I use my BB for so many things these days, not the least of which is a bedside clock. With no stand, the Eris doesn't fit my needs to that end. Besides, as far as I could tell, it doesn't offer functions specific to being plugged in anyway, so the convenience of the clock while charging still appears to be a BB exclusive.

That's certainly not the only reason I am holding off on an Android device, but it helped me realize that the BB just more perfectly fits my needs, at least currently. I definitely see the Android devices causing quite a stir, but I've decided I'm going to pick up two 9700s this weekend instead of moving to Android... for now.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I ordered a charging dock for my droid... Should be here next week...

I will have to let you know how it compares to the BB charging dock...

Here is the one I ordered... -----> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...hetypeId=11732

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-20-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I saw that the Moto Droid had a dock, but the HTC Eris doesn't. Please let me/us know how to dock works, though, as I am still very interested.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
kwgrimes

Model: 9550

My son wants the Droid for Christmas, but I'm leary of buying the first gen of anything -- look at the Storm for instance, Storm2 stomps on Storm1 (glad I waited!). So I will be very interested to see your future reports. Thanks!

(BTW, getting laid with a Droid while in Prison must be some trick)

Last edited by kwgrimes; 11-20-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

yea....for me i think a 4 year love affair with BBOS is coming to an end.....

let's see what new devices roll out during the holidays.....
maybe a nokia n900 would hit the spot
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #27
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Tip the Verizon rep and find a nice comfy corner of the store to curl up with it for a while.... Don't moan to loud though, or they might kick you out...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Tip the Verizon rep and find a nice comfy corner of the store to curl up with it for a while.... Don't moan to loud though, or they might kick you out...
I feel dirty all of a sudden.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #29
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I feel dirty all of a sudden.
tsk tsk tsk. boys!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

My one week update...

So it's been a week with the Droid and I am loving it more and more every day.. I keep finding kewl things that it can do.. I am adjusting to the keyboard but the BB keyboard still blows it away... I still would not want to type out a lengthy email on it but it works good enough for SMS, short replies ect...

The Droid App store is awesome! I found out that if you purchase software (most are free) you are not charged for the purchase for 24 hours... If you cancel the purchase within the 24 hour time frame it deletes the app from the device and you are not charged.... Pretty sweet! You can try an app and if you don't like it, just cancel it within the 24 hour time frame...

My son got the HTC Eris and his has seven main screens.. My Droid has three... I wish it had more than 3 as they are all full with icons, contacts, sports, weather, news, and pandora widget(s)...

Not a single lockup, reboot or freeze yet and I have a TON of stuff running in the background... I have email polling, sports tap updating, weather updating, pandora running, news ticker updating, and more...

Battery life has been good as I make it the whole day on a charge but I do not use BT, GPS, or wifi so that might be the reason for the good battery life... The phone quality is good but I have noticed an echo at times...

Email and browser still blow me away! Videos on this are amazing, and the sound from Pandora actually sounds quite nice through the speakers on the device...

That's all for now......

Kris
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #31
CoDudette

looks like you're a happy chappy with the Droid Kris. we lost you to a droid! noooo!! *dramatic movie sigh*
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #32
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Hahaha... Never know, I might be back... Besides, you never responded to the sleazy PM that I sent you....
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #33
teetee198

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Everyone I know is getting one. My cousing has one and I want to see what it looks like from a 1st person view. It'll be soon.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #34
CoDudette

Quote:
Hahaha... Never know, I might be back... Besides, you never responded to the sleazy PM that I sent you....
oh yea the one about the sleazy bbm add right? read the red!! :P
Old 11-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #35
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Now to add a few dislikes about the Droid...

No way to change profiles like on the BB.. You can download a free app that kinda does it, but it's still not the same...

Font size is my biggest gripe! No way to change it... You can adjust it in some places but not system wide...

Battery cover... The way it connects to the device *can* cause it to easily slip off... I have not had the issue, but I can see it happening...

Qwerty keyboard... I am getting better at it, but it's no BB keyboard...

That is all for now....
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #36
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

LunkHead, I couldn't take it anymore and I also have a Droid as well as our Tours. My sentiments are VERY similar to yours with the Droid. I'm a longtime BB user as well, but this Droid is getting more incredible as time goes by.

Battery life is definitely worsened by using WiFi, or even just leaving GPS on. The keyboard isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but as you said, it's not a BB keyboard. The applications are incredible. There's something for everything! I can also access my PCs from anywhere, anytime and it's very fast (PhoneMyPC).

By the way, you can have 7 screens if you'd like. I'm not a fan of that many screens because I like a cleaner setup with more folders, etc. But, if that's the route you want to take, there are customized themes and homescreen apps that will give you 7 screens. Take a look around!

I hope you don't mind, but I'll tag along with you in this thread since we seem to have very similar feelings about this device so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
The Droid is a pretty sweet looking device, but i've never been a huge fan of motorola (i had the razor and i wanted to throw it out the window), but you seem to be happy with it! ;) i bet it had something to do with the fact that it got you laid ;). hehehe.
I've owned 3 Razrs and ever since then I swore to never buy another Motorola. Well, this thing doesn't feel or look like a Motorola. It's quite incredible actually and shocking to me that Motorola put this phone out.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Even if you had a different opinion of it than I, you are more than welcome to tag along with the thread and post your feelings and findings..

I had my 1st burp last night... Pandora was force quitting but I think it was my fault as I deleted some stations and closed it out before it was done thinking... Deleted the app and reinstalled it... No problems since..

Then the developer of SportsTap did an update that temporarily broke the app... He fixed it quickly and all was good.... I need my sports scores and SportsTap rocks!!!!

I saw open home, panda home, GDE ect to customize the theme but they are still very buggy for 2.0 so I think I will wait a bit before checking them out...

Glad you are liking the Droid... I am still loving mine!

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 11-23-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #38
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Keep this thread going. I'm interested in Droid too. I swore off Vzn after a bad experience with an LG Env but hey, they do have a fast network here. I heard charging it turns the screen on all the time or something weird.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #39
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

My screen does not stay on while charging....
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #40
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
My screen does not stay on while charging....
Mine doesn't either. Are you using the media dock? I'm not, and from what I've read, the screen does stay on if charging in the dock.

Also, I forgot to mention before, although not customizable like the BB profiles, there is a "Ringer Mode Bar Widget" which I use to quickly turn the ringers off or to vibrate.
Closed Thread