BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #21
lucyl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Please Login to Remove!

I'm really exciting about the iPhone.. WiFi is a big plus but being a huge mac geek, OS X does it for me.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

This is an amazing gadget. I want this even as a Bluetooth client for my BlackBerry. I don't want the phone/ipod features -- this is an amazing Apple PDA. It's going to replace my iPaq.

Electronic notepad, bluetooth keyboards, and amazing pocket web surfing experience - just drag a finger to scroll a page around, and pinch finger to zoom in/out. And I can lean my hand on the screen while using a stylus on the iPhone screen -- it multitouch technology should ignore my wrist while detecting the pen head. All surfing through my BlackBerry's Bluetooth connection. (I am hoping that this Apple iPhone can take advantage of an external Bluetooth data connection rather than internal cellphone connection -- but knowing this is a MacOS X operating system, it probably is flexible enough.)

I can't leave BlackBerry since I need high speed thumb text input, but I simply got to have this amazing Apple PDA. It's five years ahead of a typical iPaq PDA and far smaller than a UMPC (OQO, etc). And this Apple PDA is slightly smaller than a BlackBerry 8700, to boot...

This Apple PDA would be my first Apple product -- haven't even jumped on the Mac bandwagon. I'd love to create software for it, and recompile some of my other UNIX software on it (since it is already running MacOS X!)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-09-2007 at 02:39 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
lucyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
What do you think? Anyone giving up their bb for IMAP yahoo email?
I thought it supports any POP3 and IMAP email account.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #24
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
4GB $499 w/2 year contract
8GB $599 w/2 year contract

Pricey but worth it if you think about it. iPod w/video, 2mp camera and Phone/PDA/Email all in one.
yeah good point. Thanks for sharing the prices.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #25
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

IMHO, sexy and cool but way overpriced. Yes, it combines a lot of the functions of a phone/BB/iPod (and nano-sized memory - max only 8GB) but at a combo price - no synergy! Plus Cingular's data plans are very expensive. If I pay that much for a phone, I want to be the one to decide which carrier to use (i.e. must be unlocked). You're busy damning your Pearls but imagine what RIM could make at a $500 price point as compared to the Pearl's $200.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Apple.com is pretty much unaccessable at this moment. Can't imagine why.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't think it will do well.

First, most touch screen only typing devices have failed. People simply do not like them.

Second, it's too expensive. Their pricing is similar to that of the PDA/Phones of the old days, $500 to $600. Not a lot of people buy such devices at those prices. [And I suspect that Steve was mentioning the price WITH a new account activation. If he could have said a lower price he would have, the fine print being that the price was with a new account].

Sure it looks cool when Steve is talking about it at MacWorld, but I don't think the things are going to fly off the shelf.

Let's assume, for example, that those people who support or have an iPOD might consider the phone. Well, they just got done forking over $300 for an iPOD. I don't think these people are going to be in a rush to shelve their iPODS and fork over $500 for an iPhone. And that is not taking into account that these people probably have a phone already, so they would be tossing that too.

As to the consumer market, I don't see many of those users forking over $500 for the device. It's just too much.

And to the geek market [BBF members, for example], I don't think the iPhone is such a hot and revolutionary device that they will toss their existing units and buy the iPhone as a must have.

Yeah, everyone can get caught up in the hype at MacWorld or drool over the pretty pics, but in the end, when it comes down to paying $500 - $600 plus tax I don't think many will make the buy.

And personally, I think the touchscreen-only interface is a big mistake. People are used to and want keyboards when typing. I am actually quite surprised Apple would go with this given the list of failures where this technology has been employed.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-09-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #28
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by proussak
IMHO, sexy and cool but way overpriced. Yes, it combines a lot of the functions of a phone/BB/iPod (and nano-sized memory - max only 8GB) but at a combo price - no synergy! Plus Cingular's data plans are very expensive. If I pay that much for a phone, I want to be the one to decide which carrier to use (i.e. must be unlocked). You're busy damning your Pearls but imagine what RIM could make at a $500 price point as compared to the Pearl's $200.
won't help if it is unlocked... the iphone is coupled with cinglar to offer features on the phone like selective voicemail..... tmobile won't be able to offer that for a phone they don't even have.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyl
I thought it supports any POP3 and IMAP email account.
He said on stage that Yahoo was partnering with Apple to use push technology with Yahoo Mail. But that was the only one. [May have been Google, but I think it was Yahoo].
Old 01-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #30
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I don't think it will do well.

First, most exclusively touch screen devices have failed. People simply do not like them.

Second, it's too expensive. Their pricing is similar to that of the PDA/Phones of the old days, $500 to $600. Not a lot of people buy such devices at those prices. [And I suspect that Steve was mentioning the price WITH a new account activation. If he could have said a lower price he would have, the fine print being that the price was with a new account].

Sure it looks cool when Steve is talking about it at MacWorld, but I don't think the things are going to fly off the shelf.

Let's assume, for example, that those people who support or have an iPOD might consider the phone. Well, they just got done forking over $300 for an iPOD. I don't think these people are going to be in a rush to shelve their iPODS and fork over $500 for an iPhone. And that is not taking into account that these people probably have a phone already, so they would be tossing that too.

As to the consumer market, I don't see many of those users forking over $500 for the device. It's just too much.

And to the geek market [BBF members, for example], I don't think the iPhone is such a hot and revolutionary device that they will toss their existing units and buy the iPhone as a must have.

Yeah, everyone can get caught up in the hype at MacWorld or drool over the pretty pics, but in the end, when it comes down to paying $500 - $600 plus tax I don't think many will make the buy.

And personally, I think the touchscreen-only interface is a big mistake. People are used to and want keyboards when typing. I am actually quite surprised Apple would go with this given the list of failures where this technology has been employed.
you make some good points... but your not an apple consumer......

apple consumers have more than one powebook or mac book... These are people who spend top dollar on apple products like there hd displays and what not...

10 million units will sell out in 1 day.

it is simple...

ipod = 300
telephone = 200
500$

now say double the memory like dell commercial for 100 bucks...

$600. genius

This was the innovation i was *****ing about the other day.

The iphone will replace the ipod in 2 years..

we will see different versions of the iphone.... large and small like video and nano... wait and see.

I personally will wait for the 3rd generation... like i did with the ipod.

Your last sentence i think is the opposite....

I just had 20 people crowded around my pc to watch the updates of what the phone can do... and everyone of them said they hate the small buttons on phones.... every one!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

That is pricey with a contract. How much would it be without a contract? Also remember, people pay for things via credit.....so I think it will sell. Will it last......now that's the question.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

That's even worse then (is Cingular subsidizing the cost of the handset?). Does Apple tell me which ISP I have to use when I buy an iMac?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #33
SanFrancisco

You may be right. I know the Apple crowd is a dedicated lot and will buy anything Apple.

I was commenting on how the iPhone would do in the rest of the market. For all I know, Apple's intent is to sell to the Apple crowd, not all other users.

Interesting prediction, 10 million will sell out in one day. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
you make some good points... but your not an apple consumer......

apple consumers have more than one powebook or mac book... These are people who spend top dollar on apple products like there hd displays and what not...

10 million units will sell out in 1 day.

it is simple...

ipod = 300
telephone = 200
500$

now say double the memory like dell commercial for 100 bucks...

$600. genius

This was the innovation i was *****ing about the other day.

The iphone will replace the ipod in 2 years..

we will see different versions of the iphone.... large and small like video and nano... wait and see.

I personally will wait for the 3rd generation... like i did with the ipod.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #34
FF0000Z

Carrier: TMobile

everyone should also keep in mind that this device is not in direct competition with RIM devices in my opinion. the pearl is really the first RIM device to truly crossover as a non-business device (sleek, sexy and small). and even then the features offered are arguably useful for business. this is not to say the iPhone won't sell, i just don't see them impacting the RIM market in the enterprise. also keep in mind that many corporations go with blackberry because it is blessed by federal agencies in regard to security, etc. i don't foresee any large corporation dropping their use of RIM devices in favor of an iPhone. i see it more as a personal multimedia/communication device. but not something to compare directly with a Pearl. As an example, would you call a morotola RAZR a blackberry killer? two different markets in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #35
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

the thing is complete sex. and i'm an apple hater. but that thing is awesome. this is the best that could happen for everyone - it'll drive innovation; every other manufacturer are going to make a renewed effort to drive the technology beyond the cutting edge. it's going to be an interesting few years, bill gates was right about this decade being the one where things start to take off - looking forward to how this is all going to play out over the next few years.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #36
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo
Default iPhone announced today.

Apple Renames Itself, Unveils IPhone: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Apple - iPhone

Apple's stock went up by $6
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #37
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher
the thing is complete sex. and i'm an apple hater. but that thing is awesome. this is the best that could happen for everyone - it'll drive innovation; every other manufacturer are going to make a renewed effort to drive the technology beyond the cutting edge. it's going to be an interesting few years, bill gates was right about this decade being the one where things start to take off - looking forward to how this is all going to play out over the next few years.
couldn't have said it any better.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #38
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF0000Z
everyone should also keep in mind that this device is not in direct competition with RIM devices in my opinion. the pearl is really the first RIM device to truly crossover as a non-business device (sleek, sexy and small). and even then the features offered are arguably useful for business. this is not to say the iPhone won't sell, i just don't see them impacting the RIM market in the enterprise. also keep in mind that many corporations go with blackberry because it is blessed by federal agencies in regard to security, etc. i don't foresee any large corporation dropping their use of RIM devices in favor of an iPhone. i see it more as a personal multimedia/communication device. but not something to compare directly with a Pearl. As an example, would you call a morotola RAZR a blackberry killer? two different markets in my opinion.
i totally was not thinking this was in any way for business. This is a complete user phone... or a sidekick killer.

No one has come close to rim when it comes to what they do. You think apple can just pop in... i don't think so.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #39
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

That thing would get a lot of corporate employees in trouble.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #40
thirtythreezero

Model: 8700c
Carrier: At&t

this thing is the ULTIMATE. thank god, waiting finally pays off. waiting around, being faithful to cingular for a decade and waiting around being faithful to apple for 15 years, thank god!!!

i need one of these like my lungs need oxygen.

it's just so perfect and beautiful.

it makes my 8700c look like something from the stone age.

i'm still in shock and it's been accounced for a few hours now.

as a longtime apple user, and just a recent blackberry user, i think i might be faithful to apple now and leave blackberry. apple got me with this one.
www.bloomhoops.com
Closed Thread