BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Bnazz

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Default Hi, quick caller ID question ....

Please Login to Remove!

i am using a 8700c for cingular (or at&t, cant keep up with these switches lol) and i just wanted to know if there's a way to hide the name when i call someone, i would still like my number to show up but when i call house numbers, just dont want the name to show up, maybe have it say wireless caller or something.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

No, all you can do is "Hide my identity" in the phone options. Then all that shows up is "Private."
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
M.Wood
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think you can call your carrier (AT&T) and request that your name not show up on caller ID. At least you can with Sprint and Verizon.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Wood View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think you can call your carrier (AT&T) and request that your name not show up on caller ID. At least you can with Sprint and Verizon.
And doing as JC suggested is a much less waste of time than calling a Rep.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
M.Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
And doing as JC suggested is a much less waste of time than calling a Rep.
Yes, and every time you call someone with anonymous call rejection you are going to have to hangup, disable it, make the call, then re-enable it. How much time does that waste as opposed to one call to a rep?

What is and isn't a waste of time is a matter of opinion.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

'Cause then you gotta call the carrier back each time to get it re-enabled, right?
Actually, to block per call, *69 works best anyway.

The OP doesn't want it completely disabled, just at times, when he calls "house numbers" (although I am not exactly sure what that means).
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
M.Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
'Cause then you gotta call the carrier back each time to get it re-enabled, right?
Actually, to block per call, *69 works best anyway.

The OP doesn't want it completely disabled, just at times, when he calls "house numbers" (although I am not exactly sure what that means).
I really don't want to get into a "thing" with this, I'm just trying to help the OP...So I'll say this and then leave it alone.

My interpretation of what the OP was asking was when calling land lines. You can't set names for wireless caller ID and I don't think they are really making a differentiation between residential and business land lines. They did not want their name to show up with their number, they don't mind the number showing up, just the not the name.

Poster, correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if you use either *67 or the "privacy" option on the BlackBerry, your caller ID will be "PRIVATE", no name, no number causing it to be rejected by people with anonymous call rejection on their land line. However, you can call your carrier and request that instead of showing your name along with your number, they show "WIRELESS CALLER" (in the case of VZW), or the city of origin of the phone number (Sprint) permanently, not on a per call basis . I don't know what AT&T uses. That way, you still show your number to people with anonymous call rejection, but not your name. Thus not getting caught by anonymous call rejection.

I was just giving the OP another option to the "privacy" option on the BB. Not trying to get in some kind of competition for the "best" answer.

Last edited by M.Wood; 06-05-2007 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Sentence clarification.
Closed Thread