Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #101
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
peznut,
I checked on my order today and noticed that the Proclip website did not show any 8700 device holders ...that prompted my question to Customer Service.
They told me they already had an issue regarding complaints similar to yours(although yours was more of an observation) and it prompted them to "temporarily" remove it from the website- this is not just about what you brought up in this thread. I pointed their CS staff to this thread to get some feedback because they said they had heard of issues but not any real life feedback yet.

I thought it would be an opportunity to put the people that are having the issue together with the people who want to hear about it.

They are checking this thread to get feedback.

JP
Thanks, johnfromphilly. I wasn't aware of the other complaints similar to my experience. It'll be interesting to see how this resolves, i.e. a modification to the current design? No matter what, I really am impressed with how proactive ProClip is being about this.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #102
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
Thanks, johnfromphilly. I wasn't aware of the other complaints similar to my experience. It'll be interesting to see how this resolves, i.e. a modification to the current design? No matter what, I really am impressed with how proactive ProClip is being about this.

I am also impressed by their CS, I will be receiving my holder this AM via Fedex next day to check it out. I will see how it looks, I hope it is ok as I need a good holder and everyone raves about the ProClip.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #103
Ragz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Red face

Got my Proclip Holder for my 8700c 4 days ago, works fine. No scratches, easy to install no Problem.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #104
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

I received the 8700 holder from Pro clip and it looks good to me. I do see how it "rubs" platic to plastic but I do not know how else you could hold the BB. Any looser and it might fall out, I guess it is a game of mm's. These are compresion holders so it has to grab tight.

my 2 cents...
Old 02-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #105
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

I received a call from the president of ProClip this morning. He is reading this thread and is very concerned that some of you may be having issues.

ProClip is actively addressing user issues (as they always do) and continuing to test the holders. They have a test bed unit with hundreds of insertions into this clip with no signs of wear. Our unit fits very precisely in the holder and is not showing any signs of wear.

To those that are having issues is there anyway you could provide "up close" photography of the unit in the holder as well as the damage done to the unit? I think this would aid all involved to better understand the issue.

I will be posting some photos tomorrow of our 8700 with the holder and would be interested in your feedback on them.

Regards,

Robert Redmond
SmartPhoneDepot

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #106
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
To those that are having issues is there anyway you could provide "up close" photography of the unit in the holder as well as the damage done to the unit? I think this would aid all involved to better understand the issue.

I will be posting some photos tomorrow of our 8700 with the holder and would be interested in your feedback on them.

Regards,

Robert Redmond
SmartPhoneDepot
Forgive the cheesy photos (it's hard to take good pix with a frickin' steering wheel in the way, given my installation), but attached are three pix of my 8700 in the ProClip holder (electrical tape removed). The first two depict the BB fully seated, and I've drawn a red arrow to indicate where I feel the "pressure" is being applied to my BB. The third photo depicts how I now usually "sort of seat" my BB (notice that it sits higher in the clip) since noticing the "plasticy residue" I mentioned earlier. (The red circled areas merely indicate the dust I just noticed under my screen when looking at these flash photos - but that's a separate RIM-related issue covered elsewhere in these forums...)

Anyway, the "culprit" from my perspective is the area on the topmost-front edge of the clip (to which I've pointed with the red arrows). When inserting the 8700, this area of the clip hits my BB above the "return/enter" key and, the more fully I insert the BB, the tighter that pressure becomes. I'm not saying I need to "jam" my BB into the ProClip in order to fully seat it, but I do feel that it doesn't fully seat as easily as my 7290 did in its clip.

When I suggested in earlier posts my idea of filing certain areas of the ProClip, this was the area I meant, on each side. I'm no design engineer, but it seems that "flaring" these two sections back, away from the 8700 areas in question - thereby better accommodating the curved, angled edges of the 8700 along these points - would reduce the pressure, eliminating the potential of scratches (which, again, I have NOT experienced on my BB).

In fact, stepping back, what strikes me as (perhaps) the cause of any problem is that this particular ProClip is essentially designed with right-angles and parallel surfaces - including a right-angled, parallel groove cut via a router to "grip" the BB - whereas the 8700 itself has that tricky curved, angled section along its front edge, just off of the keyboard. Perhaps smoothing the resultant sharp right-angles along the vertical channel might better accommodate the BB case? Or, alternatively, manufacturing a deeper channel/groove and filling contact surfaces with some sort of low-friction surface, such as Teflon tape or neoprene rubber?

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1570   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP02.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1571   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROCLIP03.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1572  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #107
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

I have received and installed my Pro Clip 8700 holder and the vehicle mount for my Volvo S-60.

Both work great. I am very happy with this setup and I am glad the forum pointed me to this product as it was what I was looking for. I do wish that there were more options for my car. Particularly, I would like a left side of console vehicle mount that does not block the air vent. I have found that this issues is less of a problem than I expected and there is no real problem with the blocking of the vent- it just does not seem right to me. Oh well.

Love it and recommend it!

JP
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #108
stoxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

Just a follow up to my previous post.

I have used the ProClip holder for the 8700r for roughly 10 days so far. I have not changed anything to the holder. It works great. I was a little concerned about scratching on the sides, but that has not even been an issue. I use it in my truck and many of the roads I travel on are full of potholes, washboard, and gravel. The 8700 remains snug in its holder. I have taken a look at the sides of the 8700, and there has been no scratching so far.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #109
Johnny Utah22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Att

Has anyone looked at this yet?

http://www.extremepda.com/page/XPDA/...MOUNT8700-VENT
Old 02-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #110
MozMan68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular / AT&T

Thanks to this post I just ordered a Proclip for my Jeep Wrangler.....my first problem was trying to answer the phone while shifting (I haven't owned a manual for more than 15 years). Bluetooth headset that I hardly used before is in use a great deal now.

The mount will let me see who is calling though before I answer. I also like the idea of seeing what emails I receive while I'm driving home. Not alot of room on the Jeep for anything, so this will really help out.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #111
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68
Thanks to this post I just ordered a Proclip for my Jeep Wrangler.....my first problem was trying to answer the phone while shifting (I haven't owned a manual for more than 15 years). Bluetooth headset that I hardly used before is in use a great deal now.

The mount will let me see who is calling though before I answer. I also like the idea of seeing what emails I receive while I'm driving home. Not alot of room on the Jeep for anything, so this will really help out.
I ordered a couple of ProClips for my 8700c about 3 weeks ago, one for my BMW 528, the other for my Jeep Wrangler... wouldn't you know it, the one for the Jeep was on back-order... they sent me an email that said it would ship on 2/10... I never heard back, so I called them this past Monday 2/14, and they said they had still not received their shipment, and were keeping their fingers crossed for 2/17, but it would be no later than 2/21.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #112
mikester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I got my proclip a cople of days ago. It's great. The install is simple, no holes, no screws. It is well designed and holds the BB without any vibration. The 8700 slides in smoothly - no scratching at all.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #113
obstacles can kill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

i have wanted a proclip for so long now. but im worried about getting one because of the other stuff i have in my car. i have a 2001 chrysler sebring lx....

ive already got my sirius s50 blocking my passenger side vent. so if i get the vent covering mount, the only vent with full access to me will be the one next to my door. and if i get the mount that goes on the side of the center panel, my S50 will be in the way of it and may bump into it. maybe i need to reposition my S50

BB Inventory:
9000, 8310, 8800,
8100 x2 (One Black, One Red), 8700c, 7290
Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #114
MozMan68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default which one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002
I ordered a couple of ProClips for my 8700c about 3 weeks ago, one for my BMW 528, the other for my Jeep Wrangler... wouldn't you know it, the one for the Jeep was on back-order... they sent me an email that said it would ship on 2/10... I never heard back, so I called them this past Monday 2/14, and they said they had still not received their shipment, and were keeping their fingers crossed for 2/17, but it would be no later than 2/21.
There are three offered for my TJ....which one did you order??

I ordered the top mount that will cover most of the left middle vent (will I really use a vent on a Jeep??). I like that one as it will put the BB just to the right of my steering wheel and just above my stereo...should be real easy to see and operate from that position.

They took my money already but no mention yet of it being backordered.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #115
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
There are three offered for my TJ....which one did you order??

I ordered the top mount that will cover most of the left middle vent (will I really use a vent on a Jeep??). I like that one as it will put the BB just to the right of my steering wheel and just above my stereo...should be real easy to see and operate from that position.

They took my money already but no mention yet of it being backordered.
I ordered 852384 - ProClip Angled mount - attaches to the right side of the center console. Sounds like you ordered 852382 - ProClip Center mount. I have a '97 TJ.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #116
MozMan68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default It's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbay2002
I ordered 852384 - ProClip Angled mount - attaches to the right side of the center console. Sounds like you ordered 852382 - ProClip Center mount. I have a '97 TJ.
That's it....called them this morning as it still showed in process and I was worried it was on back order. She said it would ship today...and sure enough, 5 minutes later an email shows up with the tracking number.

I plan on taking a picture when installed and giving it to them so they can replace that god awful example on their website...I'll post it here as well.

EDIT: Yay..showed up this afternoon. Will install when I get home and include pictures tomorrow!

Last edited by MozMan68; 02-22-2006 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: update
Old 02-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #117
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Has anyone tried the ProClip with the invisible shield full body shield? I am considering ordering the full body shield, but am concerned that it may be scraped off by the tight fit of the ProClip. If it is a problem, I can just order the screen shield and save some money.

Last edited by BBRaffey; 02-22-2006 at 04:17 PM..
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #118
MozMan68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default uh-oh

Installed mine last night after receiving yesterday.....

Looks and works great and was easy to install....BUT...doesn't look like they fixed the rubbing issue. Only put it in and out a few times and it rubbed the finish right off the left side of the face and the right side, while still grey, definitely has a rub mark.

Sending my pictures to ProClip right after this post to see what they say.

Not too worried about it as I didn't buy my BB and could care less what that part of the case looks like....as long as I can see my messeges and use the thing (and it doesn't look TOO ripped up).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1783   Click image for larger version

Name:	mark left.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1784   Click image for larger version

Name:	mark right.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1785  
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #119
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Installed mine last night after receiving yesterday.....

Looks and works great and was easy to install....BUT...doesn't look like they fixed the rubbing issue. Only put it in and out a few times and it rubbed the finish right off the left side of the face and the right side, while still grey, definitely has a rub mark.

Sending my pictures to ProClip right after this post to see what they say.

Not too worried about it as I didn't buy my BB and could care less what that part of the case looks like....as long as I can see my messeges and use the thing (and it doesn't look TOO ripped up).

Yikes- that is quite a mark...Mine left some "residue" type plastic marks but has left no long term marks.

I have been using it every day and I am happy---I would not be if it did that to my 8700 but I paid for it

JP
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #120
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Arkon Blackberry Flexible Steel Gooseneck Mount

I bought the one from Arkon and like it pretty well. It's not an exact fit but I added a couple of those black rubber 3m sticky pads and now it's perfect. Easy to get in and out. I wanted something that was going to sit lower and out of view. Simple seat rail attachment and very secure.

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=130398
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_Arkon Holder.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1793   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Arkon Holder2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1794  
Closed Thread