Old 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
voda_black
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Shifting to 8800 - 2 questions

Please Login to Remove!

Just ordered the 8800 on vodafone (UK) today. 2 questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to search (and thus figure out) whose Pin number I have so that I can send them a pin with my new blackberry pin?
2. How do you actually use the GPS functionality in a car? Is there some kind of holder or something that would hold the BlackBerry on the car windscreen? Does the GPS get a signal even if it is not near the windscreen? Not going to use the GPS function that much (only when travelling in a rented car) - but would help to know...

Tks
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

For #1, assuming you have your BB syncing to Outlook, and you've entered in PINs for people in their address book entry:

In Outlook, go to contacts, and click on advanced find. Click on the advanced tab, click on Field, then select Miscellaneous Fields, then User Field 1 (PIN gets stored here). For condition, select "is not empty" and then click Add to list. Then click on Find Now, and you'll see everyone who has that field not empty. It should now show you everyone who has a PIN.

The problem now is automagically getting those entries into a To field in a new email. There isn't a good way to do this, but at least you now know who would need an email (or PIN) update.

As for 2, there are different dashboard mounts available for cell phones or PDAs, not sure if there is one that's 8800 (or even 8700) specific. GPS needs line of sight to the sky, so as long as you're relatively close to the windshield you should be ok. BB Maps is kind of slow for some reason on the 8800, not sure how Telenav is for outside the US/Canada, and Google Maps doesn't yet run well on the 8800, and won't do GPS at all on the BB platform.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I don't know much about the GPS reception of the 8800 but my BT GlobalSat 359 picks up a signal in the middle of my house. I've heard that the newer GPS devices are quite sensitive. My guess is that it will probably work fine in your car but post back the results if you get some.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
underskybb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I don't know much about the GPS reception of the 8800 but my BT GlobalSat 359 picks up a signal in the middle of my house. I've heard that the newer GPS devices are quite sensitive. My guess is that it will probably work fine in your car but post back the results if you get some.
I tested it last night (driving with left hand and operated the phone with right hand), I felt it was too slow to be used in a car. Maybe I will test it more tonight.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
voda_black
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for your help all of you. Will try the GPS function over the weekend and post back results.

Regarding Pins - thanks thats all I needed to actually figure out who I have Pins for - not many people - so I can put their names in the "To" field manually.

Thanks!
Closed Thread