Emaderton3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default questions on Windows XP and bluetooth function

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8100. I have been struggling for weeks to get it to sync via bluetooth with my Dell Latitude D620. This laptop comes with Toshiba hardware, and based on other posts I have read, the first step was to uninstall the Toshiba stack, restart the computer, and then Windows XP would automatically install the Windows drivers for bluetooth (it installed Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module). This all went successfully, but I still could not get the bluetooth to work. Many websites and some forums here discuss altering the bth.inf file to get everything to work. Instead of doing this, I just deleted the file (I copied it beforehand and put it in another folder). After restarting my computer, the bluetooth sync works great!

Now, I have a few questions:

1. Many websites say that using the Microsoft XP drivers for bluetooth will cause the bluetooth light to always stay on on your computer (and I don't mean the system tray but the actual plastic part that has lights for power, wifi, etc.). Mine doesn't even light up when I use bluetooth. Any reason why? It would be nice to know if I have left it on.

2. Also, is the only way to turn the bluetooth off now is to go into the Bluetooth Devices and uncheck "turn discovery on"? It would be nice if you could simply disable bluetooth from a right click menu from the system tray, but this is no longer an option. Opening up the Bluetooth Devices panel and unchecking the discovery isn't that much faster than just pulling out the USB connector and syncing that way.

3. I also don't have a "Bluetooth" listing in Device Manager, and in Control Panel, the only thing I have now is "Bluetooth Radios" and not the other bluetooth things that used to be there. Does that matter?

Thanks!

P.S. For those who care, Hotmail email now works with Blackberry phones. Interestingly, I have also gotten Microsoft Outlook Web Access to work for email when it never would setup correctly before.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Emaderton3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Interestingly, if I try to sync via bluetooth with my laptop at home, it only does the Calendar (even if I connect my Outlook via VPN client). I canxxx8217;t go in and change the options for what it syncs via bluetooth (it is greyed out). If I switch to USB cable, the box is not greyed out, and I can sync everything. I am now back at work, and everything seems to sync just fine (very weird). And, I even put the original bth.inf file back in the proper folder. Anyway, Ixxx8217;m guessing that the best thing to do would be to put the correct line into the bth.inf file to get the Toshiba hardware and Windows XP drivers to work harmoniously. However, the Toshiba hardware is not listed in Device Manager (or in anyway I recognize). How do I get the information I need about the Toshiba bluetooth inside the computer if I cannot find it to get the information for the bth.inf file?
Closed Thread