BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
JerryinTO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Unhappy Can not use ROGERS data plan on an unlocked T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Hi again. I got an unlocked T-Mobile GSM phone that has my ROGERS SIM card in it. I went to the local ROGERS office to subscribe to a data plan, but "because it is not a ROGERS phone, you can not subscribe to a data plan". Can anybody help??

Jerry
P.S. It works fine as a cell phone and SMS.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

You have these options: take it to another Rogers store, take it to TheSource (formerly RadioShack) who is Rogers services reseller, or try to add a data plan by phoning Rogers.
You are very close, do not give up.

When I brought my friend in Toronto unlocked 7100 as a gift, she took it (and me ) to TheSource store and bought SIM card with Rogers data plan no stupid questions asked.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
ba97

Model: z10
Carrier: rogers

I was wondering about that as Tiger Direct was selling 7100s for $100 and I was thinking if mine died could I drop the sim into one of them.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
JerryinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba97
I was wondering about that as Tiger Direct was selling 7100s for $100 and I was thinking if mine died could I drop the sim into one of them.
Dropping in the SIM card is not really a problem. You can do it, it just takes a bit of patience.

I got mine from Factorydirect.ca on Dufferin.

J
Old 12-30-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
JerryinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
You have these options: take it to another Rogers store, take it to TheSource (formerly RadioShack) who is Rogers services reseller, or try to add a data plan by phoning Rogers.
You are very close, do not give up.

When I brought my friend in Toronto unlocked 7100 as a gift, she took it (and me ) to TheSource store and bought SIM card with Rogers data plan no stupid questions asked.
The CSR at Rogers called the tech department. They couldn't get it work.

I have a couples plan with my wife. If I get another SIM card, that means I'll have to get another Wireless plan as well as the data plan.

J.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
Phonehack

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

I bought one from Factorydirect, went to Rogers and signed up for a voice plan. Then I went home and called in a data plan. It worked like a dream (it was the Roger's guy who told me to do it).
Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinTO
The CSR at Rogers called the tech department. They couldn't get it work.
They must be short of staff on holidays. It is not rocket science for them to add services to a customer account.

Can their billing department mid-week, tell them you want to add blackberry data plan to your SIM card.

You can also try TheSource store.

Last edited by Berry One; 12-31-2006 at 09:35 AM..
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
JerryinTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
They must be short of staff on holidays. It is not rocket science for them to add services to a customer account.

Can their billing department mid-week, tell them you want to add blackberry data plan to your SIM card.

You can also try TheSource store.
I will try THE SOURCE. Thet CSR at Rogers had me waiting for nearly 20mins. I had to leave. She called me on the cell phone to get me to come back. I came back the next day and even with telephone help couldn't get it to work.

Anyway, I was at a party last night. One of the guys at a 8700. I told him of my experience. It didn't make sense to him either.

J
Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
rwireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell
Smile I did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinTO
Hi again. I got an unlocked T-Mobile GSM phone that has my ROGERS SIM card in it. I went to the local ROGERS office to subscribe to a data plan, but "because it is not a ROGERS phone, you can not subscribe to a data plan". Can anybody help??

Jerry
P.S. It works fine as a cell phone and SMS.
I have an unlocked 8700v and I'm using it with rogers and I put the data plan on after I got it. They need to add your pin in the rogers system and you will need to call the data department and ask them to do this (keep calling until you get someone that knows the ins and outs. (may need to call a couple of times). Call the data department or 611 keep saying blackberry for the voice prompts.

hope this helps