Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
scotcurtis

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t MOBILE
Default Confused about UNLOCKING in BB 9700

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,
This is my first post in the forum and my question might seem to be silly or rather stupid to many. I reside in UAE and I know a person who is selling out BB at a price of 1300dhms which is 600dhms lesser copared to ones sold at stores. It is a genuine one and not the chinese street hawker version.The issue here is he says it is factory unlocked to all the service providers but the BB messenger service is not unlocked and CANNOT be unlocked. What's the logic behind that? I mean unlocked for all network providers but BB messnger service not unlocked. Is there a way werein you can only unlock the network provider and keep the BB messenger service locked? If so, is there a way you can unlock it. I don't wana get the stuff and then keep it for life only coz there is no BB msngr and no one would care to buy.

Edit: What exactly is BB messenger? I have read that BB messenger is usually used to communicate btwn 2 BB phones. PLs correct me if I am wrong.
If the BB messenger service is locked, does it mean that I will not be able to use applications from the service provider like FACEBOOK n stuffs. I am not plannign to get the services from the service provider as of now, but if want to use the features from the service provider like FACEBOOK will I be able to use that with BB messenger service locked..

Last edited by scotcurtis; 05-05-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Added few questions
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I see it like this:
The phone is unlocked (can be used on any network)
But the PIN is still associated with a BIS account, and therefore you would not be able to use Blackberry features without getting it released.

Or the person selling it doesnt really know what they are on about;
either way, you'd need a blackberry data plan, and until activated you won't know if the PIN is still associated to another account or not.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

I was thinking same as MD, except I lean more towards the individual not really knowing.

See http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...Berry_off_eBay. It applies to buying a secondhand blackberry, regardless of source.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

I see it as more of the pin being locked. They say factory unlocked. Leads me to think it's a production model or other. This may cause problems if it is
Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

I see it as more of the pin being locked. They say factory unlocked. Leads me to think it's a production model or other. This may cause problems if it is
Good point. Now that you mention it, that makes more sense.

To the OP, BBM (blackberry messenger) is blackberry to blackberry messaging, uses the data network, and you must have the blackberry data service to use it.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

why does this sound like its a phone reported lost/stolen with a locked pin?

unlocked any sim will work but when you try to put data on it will be impossible
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
scotcurtis

Model: 9700
Carrier: t MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
I see it like this:
The phone is unlocked (can be used on any network)
But the PIN is still associated with a BIS account, and therefore you would not be able to use Blackberry features without getting it released.

Or the person selling it doesnt really know what they are on about;
either way, you'd need a blackberry data plan, and until activated you won't know if the PIN is still associated to another account or not.
Hi all,
Sorry for the delay..and thanks a lot for the infos..But it is still confusing and hence i posted again..can anyone answer it more to the point
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You wont know whether or not you can use it UNTIL you get an active Blackberry data plan.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread