Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

The web service is great. I primarily use the device for most of my day to day, but if I need to clean up stuff or move around folders, things that would take forever on the device, the web service is awesome. I don't think they have ever been down since I have began organizing my tasks in todo/ideaMatrix!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #22
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
Well, I downloaded the trials based on this very positive forum. Had an issue so I emailed rexwireless support. Turn-around time was less than one hour. I'm used to 2 - 3 day response (if that) with software cos so that was eye opening.

Don't know if the Outlook thing is too important to me - don't really like Outlook tasks but its a change to get used to. Does anybody know the reliability of their web service? Any issues?

Thank you.
I use the webservice (rexdesktop) pretty consistantly. It's handy when I'm at my desk, its easier to type on my desktop than my blackberry, at least for me.

Its useful, because the two are synced automatically in the background. I can enter notes, or journals at night on the blackberry, and they are there for me on my desktop (via the web service) when I use the notes for my various reports. Very handy for a scatter brain like me to approach organization.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #23
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa18241 View Post
I enjoy using IdeaMatrix for writing down notes. I only problem I have with it is the time it takes to open the application. I am use to apps just opening up, but this one takes a good 10 seconds. That is too long.
I happen to love IdeaMatrix as well, it's probably my most used app.

I use it for To Do's (don't have that many of them) by simply creating a note, and adding an alarm to it. It allows snoozing, so if I can't get to it right away, I simply snooze it.

I agree, the launch time is slow, but I find it launches in perhaps 4 to 5 seconds, not 10. Still, it's painfully slow, esp. compared to any other app.

Also, I wish they'd implement the ability to store notes on memory cards. I've asked them about this, and they tell me that right now, about 15% of the bb's have external memory slots... once it reaches over 50%, they say they'll work on implementing miniSD card storage.

Also, the web portion, while VERY useful, could be designed a little bit more elegantly, but the response of the development time, and the stability and total lack of bugs in their software makes these two programs certainly worth taking a look at!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #24
jmandoman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with just about all the complaints and raves posted in this thread. I have both Todo & Idea matrix as well as use the desktop interface. I find I use Ideamatrix rarely. Mostly, as a memo pad. Probably don't have a big need for that type of application. Checking and editing appointments and tasks is a constant activity for me. Seamless integration of these two is what I look for.

What I wish for the most: faster startup without the welcome screen you have to acknowledge; fewer steps/screens to add or edit on both the BB and Desktop; better GUI; and most of all: integration with my calendar. My two primary complaints: 1) I really miss having tasks and appts displayed on one screen. I need to see what's due today, tomorrow, etc with my daily appts. I came from Pocket Informant on the WM platform and really, really miss it. 2) I also hate having to exit my calendar to get to my tasks. I want to be able to look at my calendar, see appts and tasks, and click on the task to bring it up for editing, etc. I find I haven't been updating or checking tasks lately because I have to switch apps and then find the right view to find what's due today.

What I like: fantastic support, usually within a couple hours, friendly, and actually helpful (they really seem like they want to understand my problem and solve it, imagine that); the ability to view, edit, print tasks from my PC via the desktop application; and the variety of different ways to sort and look at my tasks is nice but not essential for me. Whether it syncs with Outlook or is a separate task database is not that important.

I admit that I'm excited to see that Pocket Informant is going to release a version for the BB. I will definitely demo it. When I lived in the WM world, Pocket Informant was my lifeline.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #25
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

I can add some help to your concerns, I sent in enhancement requests to them and some of their answers are below. I would say that they are very quiet about what they are doing and have coming out, but they are listening. I do not work for them, but I send them enhancement requests often and they are good at getting back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandoman View Post
I agree with just about all the complaints and raves posted in this thread. I have both Todo & Idea matrix as well as use the desktop interface. I find I use Ideamatrix rarely. Mostly, as a memo pad. Probably don't have a big need for that type of application. Checking and editing appointments and tasks is a constant activity for me. Seamless integration of these two is what I look for.
I submitted a enhancement to them (Rexwireless) and they said that this is coming iether in the next release or soon after, was not quite sure.

Quote:
What I wish for the most: faster startup without the welcome screen you have to acknowledge; fewer steps/screens to add or edit on both the BB and Desktop; better GUI; and most of all: integration with my calendar. My two primary complaints: 1) I really miss having tasks and appts displayed on one screen. I need to see what's due today, tomorrow, etc with my daily appts. I came from Pocket Informant on the WM platform and really, really miss it.
I asked about this one as well and it is coming, they are unsure of the capacity, but is coming.

Quote:
2) I also hate having to exit my calendar to get to my tasks. I want to be able to look at my calendar, see appts and tasks, and click on the task to bring it up for editing, etc. I find I haven't been updating or checking tasks lately because I have to switch apps and then find the right view to find what's due today.
I told them that adding a today screen type of screen would increase productivity. They are aware, just not sure when it will be implemented.

Quote:
What I like: fantastic support, usually within a couple hours, friendly, and actually helpful (they really seem like they want to understand my problem and solve it, imagine that); the ability to view, edit, print tasks from my PC via the desktop application; and the variety of different ways to sort and look at my tasks is nice but not essential for me. Whether it syncs with Outlook or is a separate task database is not that important.

I admit that I'm excited to see that Pocket Informant is going to release a version for the BB. I will definitely demo it. When I lived in the WM world, Pocket Informant was my lifeline.

Last edited by DaBlackberryBoy; 08-11-2007 at 09:18 AM..
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #26
geek_riot
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa18241 View Post
I enjoy using IdeaMatrix for writing down notes. I only problem I have with it is the time it takes to open the application. I am use to apps just opening up, but this one takes a good 10 seconds. That is too long.
This too bothered me. I've found a quick workaround. Obviously the program is always running. So to quicken the launch time, when I am through with the program I use the ribbon (alt + back) and switch to my desktop or any other program I need if it's always running. That way when I want to open ideaMatrix again, it launches almost instantaneously via the "I" shortcut or by clicking on the icon.

By the way, I don't know why this makes a difference, but it seems to for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #27
geek_riot
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Does anyone know how to do a select (like you can in messages, alt + trackball) to select and cut/copy large blocks of text in ideaMatrix?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #28
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

View the note, move to the beginning of the block of text. Press the number key and use the trackball to highlight the test you want to copy. Press the menu key, then select copy.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #29
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default OK OK, Here is a Little Preview of ToDoMatrix 7D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
I love todoMatrix and ideaMatrix very much! I pretty much live and die by it. There was some talk of impactMatrix (similiar to ideaMatrix) but will let you enter in your short/long range goals, so that will be something else to look forward.

My only complaint, I haven't heard from them in some time. Hope that they stop by and give us an update on the next SI release coming up and any other bugs/enhancements to expect.
While we try not to "pre-announce" much or estimate dates (since members of the forums really get unhappy with delays in releases that do happen from time to time), our next release is getting close and we decided to give you guys some details.

As many know, the next release was originally named "5D" for five dimensions. Today's ToDoMatrix is three dimensional with project, time, and delegates as the dimensions a person could use to view their tasks database. We had plans to add two additional, user-definable dimensions that would act like delegates. This capability would creating cross matrix views / folders designed to make it far simpler when implementing GTD, Franklin Covey, or one's own task management methodologies.

As we progressed, we changed the 5D plan and the upcoming release is now going to come out with seven dimensions. 7D allows a person to implement the "best of GTD" and the "best of Franklin Covey" within one application. David Allen clearly is the leader in daily tasks management process and workflow, while Stephen Covey makes a strong case for keeping a close eye on what's strategically important, keeping one's life in balance, and planning weekly. We don't think these are mutually exclusive thoughts.

In addition to 7D, we are adding Multi-Variable Filters, which can be saved as templates, and applied selectively to folders, drawers, or views. A person will be able to filter for one or more of the the user-defined dimensions. For example, this will allow a person to just see "status of next action, priority of high or critical, context of @office, in their due this week view". Folders will remember the last filter that was used within the folder, allowing a person to stay organized with their filter templates.

We have also created our Quick Review Wizard, which will speed up daily and weekly reviews of folders, using Hot*Keys to update dates and other fields such as task status. QRW will run on any folder, drawer, or view. Even better, QRW can run against any "filtered" folder, drawer, or view.

Another welcome change is that we are doubling the size of the task field to make "injection from BlackBerry e-mail" better, as well as adding additional options as to which fields are injected. This will give a person more room to capture the main paragraphs of incoming e-mail messages. We also doubled the size of the folder naming to better accommodate complex project names.

Please note that the 7D release lets a user turn on / off the advanced features in the user profile, so that people who want a simpler system can still have it.

There are over a dozen other enhancements. We have confidence that we are now only weeks and not months away from the release. As with all our releases to date, this will be a free upgrade for existing users.

Regards,

-- the REXguys --

REXwireless Software develops personal productivity, knowledge sharing, and corporate marketing software for BlackBerry smartphones and is a BlackBerry Alliances Partner. Free software trials and video demos are available at REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #30
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
While we try not to "pre-announce" much or estimate dates (since members of the forums really get unhappy with delays in releases that do happen from time to time), our next release is getting close and we decided to give you guys some details.

As many know, the next release was originally named "5D" for five dimensions. Today's ToDoMatrix is three dimensional with project, time, and delegates as the dimensions a person could use to view their tasks database. We had plans to add two additional, user-definable dimensions that would act like delegates. This capability would creating cross matrix views / folders designed to make it far simpler when implementing GTD, Franklin Covey, or one's own task management methodologies.

As we progressed, we changed the 5D plan and the upcoming release is now going to come out with seven dimensions. 7D allows a person to implement the "best of GTD" and the "best of Franklin Covey" within one application. David Allen clearly is the leader in daily tasks management process and workflow, while Stephen Covey makes a strong case for keeping a close eye on what's strategically important, keeping one's life in balance, and planning weekly. We don't think these are mutually exclusive thoughts.

In addition to 7D, we are adding Multi-Variable Filters, which can be saved as templates, and applied selectively to folders, drawers, or views. A person will be able to filter for one or more of the the user-defined dimensions. For example, this will allow a person to just see "status of next action, priority of high or critical, context of @office, in their due this week view". Folders will remember the last filter that was used within the folder, allowing a person to stay organized with their filter templates.

We have also created our Quick Review Wizard, which will speed up daily and weekly reviews of folders, using Hot*Keys to update dates and other fields such as task status. QRW will run on any folder, drawer, or view. Even better, QRW can run against any "filtered" folder, drawer, or view.

Another welcome change is that we are doubling the size of the task field to make "injection from BlackBerry e-mail" better, as well as adding additional options as to which fields are injected. This will give a person more room to capture the main paragraphs of incoming e-mail messages. We also doubled the size of the folder naming to better accommodate complex project names.

Please note that the 7D release lets a user turn on / off the advanced features in the user profile, so that people who want a simpler system can still have it.

There are over a dozen other enhancements. We have confidence that we are now only weeks and not months away from the release. As with all our releases to date, this will be a free upgrade for existing users.

Regards,

-- the REXguys --

REXwireless Software develops personal productivity, knowledge sharing, and corporate marketing software for BlackBerry smartphones and is a BlackBerry Alliances Partner. Free software trials and video demos are available at REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications
Sorry mods but...
HELL YEAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the release rexguys, keep up the great work! And thanks for the update, we know you have been busy!!!

Last edited by DaBlackberryBoy; 08-14-2007 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 AM   #31
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll throw in my praise and support also. Really an excellent product! And the 7 dimension version I just saw above is a pleasant surprise, since I just downloaded and read the PDF on the REXWireless site all about the upcoming 5 dimension task concept.

I have only been using the trial for one full day now, and I will be purchasing both apps later today. (Doesn't usually take me a whole trial period to know if a product will or will not work for me -- these definitely work for me!)

In that one day I have already had some interesting correspondence with the folks there at REXWireless and I can say that, as a very recent convert from many years of using other handheld devices - most recently a slew of WM devices - todoMatrix and ideaMatrix are the best applications for managing tasks and notes that I have seen on the small screen ever, and I do not throw out such remarks carelessly.

My single biggest concern was that I am accustomed to having all of my task and note databases on my own PC, not on a developer's server. Plus I thought I was looking forward to the Outlook compatibility for the same reason. But to be perfectly honest, I really hate using Outlook for anything at all. I do still use it for my contacts only because I cannot find anything else to use. But I hadn't really thought about all the users who do not store their PIM data on their own PCs, but instead rely entirely on MS Exchange servers. And after using both todoMatrix and ideaMatrix for roughly 24 hours -- albeit a very productive 24 hours -- I realize that using the REXWireless Web*Desktop server data storage is similar to using an Exchange server to store your Global Address Book, Tasks, Calendar events, etc. And I like using the Web*Desktop much more than I ever have liked using MS Exchange. The updates to the server are seemingly instantaneous, and it is a very pleasant and easy-to-use interface. Additionally -- and this is abundantly important to me -- I feel very confident in the developer.

I am a brand new Blackberry customer (1-1/2 weeks with a new Curve), but I did purchase the Curve personally -- this is not an employer-issued device -- and while I am very surprised at how much I like the device so far I was really concerned with the lack of software available for the Blackberry platform (compared to WM devices, that is), I should have had no fear at all about task management; REXWireless has me covered there!

In fairness, those users who do not rely heavily on their handheld device's tasks or notes probably would be biting off more than they are really willing to chew with a software package like todoMatrix and ideaMatrix. It is not for the very casual user, as it is not designed for the occasional reminder to pick up a gallon of milk and loaf of bread on the way home! And it is not priced for that kind of minimalist usage! These applications are mainly for those users who rely very heavily on their tasks, or for those who use GTD (or similar) concepts for work and life management, or even for those who are just plain passionate about their task management. Look no further -- your passions have been satisfied.

Hope this helps answer the original thread post.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #32
janeenadamsmartin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Hey Rexguys,

Is there a forum where people discuss how to use ToDoMatrix to it's potential?

To any other user,

It bugs me that the to-do totals for each folder include items already flagged as done, but to get rid of that I need to purge. I need a reliable routine for purging as I use the "done file" as reference for monthly accomplishments. What do others do that works well?

jan
Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #33
geggyta516

Model: 8800

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'd like a forum as well to discuss best practices and potential for todo matrix and ideamatrix. Any ideas?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #34
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default REXwireless Best Practices User Community Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggyta516 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'd like a forum as well to discuss best practices and potential for todo matrix and ideamatrix. Any ideas?
Although we have resisted hosting our own forum for a while, we are reconsidering. The primary issues with forums are that:

1) if unmoderated, topics often degrade and people spend way too much time reading posts that are not laser sharp on the topic they are looking for,

2) if moderated with a firm hand to stay on topic, people often think that the company is too heavy handed and "spinning" things to sound positive (which is not our intent),

3) it takes significant time away from testing and support for a small firm like ours to moderate well

But, we will probably create a beta forum soon to discuss "best practices", with a "beta" caveat that we may cancel it if we can't keep the discussions laser sharp "on topic" within threads. Like most things in life, try and see what happens is far better than guess and assume you are right.

Regards,

-- the REXguys --
Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #35
kwhitney

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

A forum specifically for Rex Wireless products would be very helpful for sharing how to get the most out of these powerful applications. I'm sure you would have no problem finding volunteers to moderate.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #36
geggyta516

Model: 8800

Can we host and moderate a forum here?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #37
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenadamsmartin View Post
Hey Rexguys,

Is there a forum where people discuss how to use ToDoMatrix to it's potential?

To any other user,

It bugs me that the to-do totals for each folder include items already flagged as done, but to get rid of that I need to purge. I need a reliable routine for purging as I use the "done file" as reference for monthly accomplishments. What do others do that works well?

jan
I had made the suggestion to rexwireless to change the count too. Best best is use the suggestion menu item in the software. They have been great at listening to user comments and said they will address this issue. I'd like to see three numbers separate by a "-" or "/",
"not started" - "in progress" (inclds eval & near complete) - "waiting" (inclds on hold).

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #38
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Although we have resisted hosting our own forum for a while, we are reconsidering. The primary issues with forums are that:

1) if unmoderated, topics often degrade and people spend way too much time reading posts that are not laser sharp on the topic they are looking for,

2) if moderated with a firm hand to stay on topic, people often think that the company is too heavy handed and "spinning" things to sound positive (which is not our intent),

3) it takes significant time away from testing and support for a small firm like ours to moderate well

But, we will probably create a beta forum soon to discuss "best practices", with a "beta" caveat that we may cancel it if we can't keep the discussions laser sharp "on topic" within threads. Like most things in life, try and see what happens is far better than guess and assume you are right.

Regards,

-- the REXguys --
rexguys,

I think the forum would be a good thing for you all. Since we all know that yall are pretty decent (haha) with writing BB apps, the forums could spawn some new ideas for you and give us followers a place to hang out!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #39
jsanchez

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZW

Wow. That caused a lot of discussion. Anyway, tried the software, really like it, Thanks everyone for the help. Bought it today.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #40
robchow

I like the idea of wireless backup (Always*Safe) but am wary that I can't keep the backup locally (it is going to the developer's server). Let's hope this doesn't happen for a long time but what happens when the company goes away? Say tomorrow. How am I going to restore my files if I need to or backup the data on my BB when that happens?

Is it me or is this a concern for others as well?
Closed Thread