Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
dmj2012

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Odd Gmail app problem

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a new Blackbnerry owner. I've had my Pearl 8120 about a month. I'm in the US. T-mobile is my carrier. The OS is 4.3.0.115.

My phone came with the Gmail app preinstalled, and I like its features better than the phone's push options, so I use the Gmail app. A couple of days ago I had some issues where the app crashed. Odd things happened, including the app still showing on the home page, and working fine, but with the Applications list on the phone and the Google Mobile Updater claiming the app wasn't installed.

After days of uninstalling and re-installing the app, and uninstalling all of Google's stuff from the phone, I've got the issue partially solved, but with an odd quirk.

The version of Gmail currently installed is 2.0.5. I'm assuming this is the most recent because the same version installs whether I use the BlackBerry browser or if I use Google Mobile Updater. This is obviously a different version of the app, with different features, than the one that was installed previously. I don't know the version number on the older app.

The weird thing is that the old app had a nice, crisp high-res icon on the home page. It was a red icon with the Gmail symbol upright. The new app has an ugly, low-res icon that shows the Gmail symbol off-kilter. I know it's a minor annoyance, but it's driving me up the wall. What's up with that? How do I get a decent-looking icon back.

The other odd thing is that until I uninstalled the pre-installed version, Google Mobile Updater said that Gmail was up to date with the pre-installed app, which was definitely a different one from this app (different context menu, slightly different features, different contacts management, etc.).

Any clues as to what's going on? I'd like to make sure I've got the most recent version, I'd like a decent icon, and I'd like to figure out what the heck the old app was.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
makedonce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj2012 View Post
I'm a new Blackbnerry owner. I've had my Pearl 8120 about a month. I'm in the US. T-mobile is my carrier. The OS is 4.3.0.115.

My phone came with the Gmail app preinstalled, and I like its features better than the phone's push options, so I use the Gmail app. A couple of days ago I had some issues where the app crashed. Odd things happened, including the app still showing on the home page, and working fine, but with the Applications list on the phone and the Google Mobile Updater claiming the app wasn't installed.

After days of uninstalling and re-installing the app, and uninstalling all of Google's stuff from the phone, I've got the issue partially solved, but with an odd quirk.

The version of Gmail currently installed is 2.0.5. I'm assuming this is the most recent because the same version installs whether I use the BlackBerry browser or if I use Google Mobile Updater. This is obviously a different version of the app, with different features, than the one that was installed previously. I don't know the version number on the older app.

The weird thing is that the old app had a nice, crisp high-res icon on the home page. It was a red icon with the Gmail symbol upright. The new app has an ugly, low-res icon that shows the Gmail symbol off-kilter. I know it's a minor annoyance, but it's driving me up the wall. What's up with that? How do I get a decent-looking icon back.

The other odd thing is that until I uninstalled the pre-installed version, Google Mobile Updater said that Gmail was up to date with the pre-installed app, which was definitely a different one from this app (different context menu, slightly different features, different contacts management, etc.).

Any clues as to what's going on? I'd like to make sure I've got the most recent version, I'd like a decent icon, and I'd like to figure out what the heck the old app was.
The version you mention, 2.0.5 seems a bit odd. I have BB 8320 and i just checked, the version of gmail i run is 1.5.1.1090 which I belive is the latest build. 2.0.5 might be the platform, but not sure.
Have you tried removing all of the google stuff and starting from scratch?
If that doesnt work, try wiping the device and start from scratch.
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
The version you mention, 2.0.5 seems a bit odd. I have BB 8320 and i just checked, the version of gmail i run is 1.5.1.1090 which I belive is the latest build. 2.0.5 might be the platform, but not sure.
Have you tried removing all of the google stuff and starting from scratch?
If that doesnt work, try wiping the device and start from scratch.
2.05 seems to be a new release. I just downloaded it and ended up with the new icon, which I agree is uglier.

Way back I think someone was able to find a link to an older version of Google Maps. I would think somewhere at Google's website the older version of Gmail is available.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
dmj2012

Model: 8120

Yeah, I finally figured out that 2.05 is the new release. I found an OTA link to the 1.5.1 release at another forum, but the features in the new app are better so I just switched to a theme that uses smaller icons so I'm not overwhelmed by the pixel-y ugliness of the new one. The new gmail one is bad-looking on the Dimension Icon theme that came with the phone because it uses bigger icons. Dimension Zen and L both look OK.

Thanks for the help anyway. Cheers.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100

They already got a new version out. I should check it out.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

FINALLY multiple accounts. Means that I can access all of my mail. Will be tough to wait for Google to implement better notifications for which account has new mail, but Apps accounts and Gmail accounts in one application is NICE.

Oh, and I could care less about the icon. It's all about the mail baby.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it is nice to no longer have to log in to my Apps account every time I lose signal or have to reset. That was a PIA. I can live without the instant push to gain Gmail sync status and threaded view in all of my accounts.

Last edited by dualsub2006; 08-22-2008 at 11:08 PM..
Old 08-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
makedonce

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
2.05 seems to be a new release. I just downloaded it and ended up with the new icon, which I agree is uglier.

Way back I think someone was able to find a link to an older version of Google Maps. I would think somewhere at Google's website the older version of Gmail is available.
you stand correct. I downloaded it and the new features are nice. I wander if the pull time has decreased.
One thing that i noticed.. this version tends to guzzle more data.. but that is ok.
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Closed Thread