BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default First Press report on BB storm 9500 and problems.

Please Login to Remove!

I hope the US launch of BB storm 9530 is better than the UK one. Here is the link to the news article. (may be people should waite a while before getting their new toy as both 9500 and 9530 are suppose to be the same apart from the 3g software)

Vodafone customers give thumbs down to Blackberry Storm 9500
Old 11-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Ouch. Sounds like it's been pretty rough for the 9500.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnp23 View Post
I hope the US launch of BB storm 9530 is better than the UK one. Here is the link to the news article. (may be people should waite a while before getting their new toy as both 9500 and 9530 are suppose to be the same apart from the 3g software)

Vodafone customers give thumbs down to Blackberry Storm 9500
Not that I take much stock in tech news from a mortgage broker, but I cannot believe the Storm isn't BES compatible....did they forget to test it or something? Not compatible on what BES? 3.x? 4.1SP6?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Ya I get all my information from Mortgage Brokers. They have a great track record recently.

As for BES? I have issues with them saying its not compatible.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
cocruxified
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/TMO

That's seriously not even worth a read. I mean come on. A mortgage broker review. That's like a geek squad tech reviewing the latest sewing machine.
Gal. 2:20
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

This is a link bait page. Guaranteed. Posted to do nothing but attract page views. How likely is it that the Storm won't support BES? Please.

I think they Storm may suck too -- but for entirely different reasons
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I will wait for vzw product

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Bugg77
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

You guys are hilarious! Mortgage Brokers giving tech advice. I read the page, but it was basically the same complaints that the OP posted in another thread. More trolling; I think.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

The OP has done nothing but bash the Storm. Time to move on a pay attention to relevant posts.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Actually, I read the OP's attached article from the mortgage broker website (how random?), and with the exception of the BES connection issue, all of the points they mention have been complaints on the vodafone forum. I read the 20+ pages of the "problems" thread on the VF forum last night, and all of these issues were raised, but it is difficult to tell if it is just a select few that are experiencing them or the majority. I didn't see anything about a failure to connect to BES, though, which seems highly suspect to me.

I plan on picking up my Verizon Storm on Friday and will see for myself if the phone is great or is a POS. Verizon has a 30-day test drive, where if I don't like the phone or the VZW service, I can just port my phone number over to AT&T and get the Bold or the HTC Fuze. VZW will cover all costs and usage fees and the whole thing will cost me $0.

I have been waiting for this phone for a long while now, and I am seriously hoping that the phone rocks. If not, no big deal. I'll move on with another device that I know is good. Who knows, I may just stick with my Curve on T-Mobile for a while until another, better phone is released next year.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Haha, I just noticed that it was mortgage brokers who did that review. Serves me right for not looking closer at what was linked before I read it. Would've been better to take it with a grain of salt then, even if it is relevant complaints.

Also, I8UB4, Verizon will not cover ALL of the costs. Might want to look more closely at that before you cancel it all out after 30 days.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #12
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Also, I8UB4, Verizon will not cover ALL of the costs. Might want to look more closely at that before you cancel it all out after 30 days.
Yeah, I'll still be on the hook for the $35 activation fee, text messaging charges and VZW's service chrges, but it is still cheaper than my current monthly bill.

Besides, I'm hoping this phone is everything we hope and I won't be returning it.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #13
celios

Model: None
Carrier: Vodafone

This info comes from a mortgage broker site, which I find odd.

What I find more odd, is why is there only one 'full' review (the one at pocket-lint.co.uk). Could Vodafone have held back sending out review units, knowing these problems would be mentioned? The pocket-lint review is hard to believe, as (1) he mentions none of the points that all 9500s seem to suffer from (like very poor RF) and (2) he stated in the original review that the Storm had an FM radio and Flash support in the browser!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
keithmillar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its appearing as if Vodafone have made a real **** up of this. They have shipped huge amount of Storms set up for BES, but there BES packages will not be on offer for at least another month. Added to this there own Customer Support staff lack the knowledge of knowing what a BIS or BES data plan is, and even though your data package is included in your price plan still ask for extra money from the end user, the list of faults is growing by the day see this thread Official BlackBerry Storm Feedback Thread - Vodafone eForum This thread alone had over a 1,000 hits yesterday.

I mentioned about the release for the Storm in the States on the 21st Nov on the Voda Forums here in the UK and that one of the problems with the Storm in the UK is the OS and it's most likely that the States release will have a different OS, the reply i had from a Voda Mod is as follows - "The Verizon version number is bound to be different, because they will have an entirely different bundle on their phones (i.e. their own version of Vodafone Live! etc). You should not take this version number to be an indication of new features or bug fixes" I'll let you guys make your own minds up.

Your right about the press release only being from a Mortgage Brokers, but its only a matter of time before the press that you'd listern to get onboard. I hope all goes well for the 21st and you have a better work phone than i had, my worked for 5 days and now will not switch on, and thats before my number was ported over to Voda.

Cheers

Keith

Last edited by keithmillar; 11-19-2008 at 06:28 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #15
celios

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmillar View Post
Your right about the press release only being from a Mortgage Brokers, but its only a matter of time before the press that you'd listern to get onboard. I hope all goes well for the 21st and you have a better work phone than i had, my worked for 5 days and now will not switch on, and thats before my number was ported over to Voda.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling the review - I think it seems to be the only valid one so far, based on the initial batch of 9500s - I am more suspicious of the lack of other press reviews, something smells very fishy to me...
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
keithmillar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi celios
Totally agree with you

Cheers

Keith
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Just spotted this news report which lends a little more credibility to the original article:

BlackBerry Storm is a little too consumer for some • The Register
Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #18
keithmillar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
Just spotted this news report which lends a little more credibility to the original article:

BlackBerry Storm is a little too consumer for some • The Register
Those comments were taken direct for this Official BlackBerry Storm Feedback Thread - Vodafone eForum site and its a respone from one of the Voda Mods. The thread alone has had 2,000 hits since yesterday and is over the 16,000 mark with about 470 replies.

Cheers

Keith
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #19
stormtrooper

Model: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
This is a link bait page. Guaranteed. Posted to do nothing but attract page views. How likely is it that the Storm won't support BES? Please.

I think they Storm may suck too -- but for entirely different reasons
Nonsense - I have a Storm and its on a BES. Still getting used to it but its a fine device
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocruxified View Post
That's seriously not even worth a read. I mean come on. A mortgage broker review. That's like a geek squad tech reviewing the latest sewing machine.
I think it was not a tech review. It was a news article saying what problems people are having with it.
Closed Thread