Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
the2slayers

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Battery Drain!!!

Please Login to Remove!

So I've had my Pearl for a little over a month now and all of a sudden it has been draining its battery within hours, shuts off the "radio," and then powers down. I can't figure out why! I feel like there's an application running that is draining it of all its battery but I can't figure out what it is. The applications I use are the music player, browser, AIM, and GMail. What could be causing this? Or do you think it's a defective model?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
crazydude
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: att & vzw

Try draining the battery fully then charge to max. Do that a couple of times see if that fixes it.

more info=>Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

Remember search first =>Forum Search

Get Answers From Blackberry Frequently Asked Questions
Old 12-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
boblincoln

Carrier: Sprint

It is never never never good to drain these type's of batteries. They do not have a "memory" in them and when they are drained, their cells do not recover as well and can't hold as much juice. Never drain!

There has to be some sort of issue here though cause all these new 8130's are having serious battery issues. I'm one of the many having issues.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

All these new Pearls aren't having battery issues...my wife and I have been fine with both of our VZW Pearls.

Some People are having issues...those are the ones who seek out forums to post and get help.

In some (less common) cases there may be a HW problem - phone or battery.

Could also be a 3rd party app sitting in the background sucking juice in other cases.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I find most the time it is a forgoten about application that continually uses the radio.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:00 PM..
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Interestingly, I leave BT on 24/7...don't use it too much, but it's on all the time. Same w/my wife's phone. I wonder how much "work" it's doing in "wait" mode if it isn't hooked up w/a BT device.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
yester18
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

if you are in a area where you have no service or very low service, it could drain your battery pretty quick, One part on my office where my phone used to sit drained the battery down to 2 bars in 2-3 hrs........

The radio in the phone is working harder to find a signal, hense kills the battery......
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2slayers View Post
So I've had my Pearl for a little over a month now and all of a sudden it has been draining its battery within hours, shuts off the "radio," and then powers down. I can't figure out why! I feel like there's an application running that is draining it of all its battery but I can't figure out what it is. The applications I use are the music player, browser, AIM, and GMail. What could be causing this? Or do you think it's a defective model?
No application should drain a fully charged battery within hours (maybe a movie). It has to be defective if it only lasts hours on a full charge.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30496979

I've never really had a problem with leaving bluetooth on (although I also don't always have a bluetooth headset connected, only when I am planning on using it). One thing I find really sucks up battery life is if you are in a fringe area (or indoors) and the phone pops in and out of EVDO mode. When the phone is searching trying to connect to an EVDO signal, you can easily have a 30% shorter battery life (this is from my personal experience).

That said, I never shut off my phone (unless I am on an airplane) and I always plug it in to recharge at night. So as long as the battery can last me a whole day, I'm happy. In the month and a half I've had my Pearl, generally the phone will last me a whole day, although there has been a couple of occasions where I've had to plug it in during the day to "top it off". This is generally in instances where I've made a few calls during the day (total time lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half), or I spent a couple of hours (or three) connected and chatting on IM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Yup...and the searching for EVDO can kill any phone...my Moto e815, which would go up to three days w/out needing a charge in normal use, would die a very fast death whenever we were at our vacation cottage...poor signal, and the phone would burn its battery up looking for an EVDO signal. e815 owners were applying hacks to turn off the searching to try to deal w/the battery drain problem...
Old 12-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30496979

Verizon rolled out EVDO at my home about a year ago. Prior to that, it was 1X only. At work, it had EVDO but the building was very good at blocking the EVDO signal so it would drop in and out all day. When I was on my old phone, the LG VX9800, because it would go in and out of EVDO all day, during the week when I was in the office, the battery would last me all day (I always recharged at night). During the weekends at home, the battery would last me the entire weekend (with approximately the same usage). Luckily, the 8130 is a lot better at hanging onto a EVDO signal so it doesn't drop in and out as often.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

While it is true that these batteries dont have a memory, it is complete nonsense to say never run the battery dead. The lion batteries have a circut in them that basically says how much the battery can hold. If you do not charge them overnight and drain them down for a few times at first the battery will think that it isnt as big as it is. By draining it and charging completly (overnight, not just when it says it is full) will reset the circut. The reason they say to not drain them completly is that if you do and then not use the phone for a couple of weeks. (yes it takes a long time) that circut can fail and not allow the battery to charge at all. Anyone with a battery tester-conditioner knows this. 90% of batteries that dont hold a charge can be brought back from the dead with these testers. All they do is send a very low charge over about 8 hours to the batteries. Plus lion might not develop a memory, however they are only good for so many charges between 300-400. So by not draining them down and charging them all the time your battery wont last a year.
Closed Thread