Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Smile Free GPS Local Search Application

Please Login to Remove!

What is InfoSpace Find It!? Think of it as a mobile concierge in your pocket. You can find nearby locations, businesses and even event and movie information. Do a keyword search for a musician playing in the local area and you will get venues where they are performing. Do a search for movies, find theaters and even get show times. (more details: InfoSpace Find It! | Home however; see below for the download link)

GPS-Enabled: Uses GPS Enabled phones to pinpoint your location, Find local business listings with maps and driving directions.
NOTE: It does not support GPS pucks as of yet.. in the works
Spoken Turn-by-turn Directions: Get spoken turn-by-turn directions for wherever you are going. Now you can listen to your directions while on the go!
One-Stop Searching: Access Yellow Pages, White Pages, Maps, Directions, Movie Listings, Events and more.
Find People by Name or Number: Search using only first and last name, or by entering a phone number to find out to whom it belongs.
What's Nearby®: Access details on what's close with one click on the phone without knowing your exact location.
Click to Connect: Make phone calls with one click instead of dialing the entire number.
Where's Wi-Fi: Locate Wi-Fi Hotspots near you with up-to-date listings.
Local Events: Search for what is going on near you this weekend.

Once you find the destination, you can also get directions: either step-by-step text directions (yes, this means not having to go online to get maps and print out directions), OR, you can get spoken turn-by-turn directions, as your phone becomes the guide along the way.

For those with GPS-enabled BlackBerries, you donxxx8217;t even need to know where you are to find nearby information. Find It! detects where you are, so all you need to do is simply launch the service from your phone and start searching. Think of getting to your hotel in a new city, and you are hungry for Italian. Follow these simple steps.
  • Launch InfoSpace Find It!
  • Click Browse By Category
  • Click Dine Out
  • Click Italian
  • Choose Where I am to search nearby
  • That is it you have what you need

OTA: InfoSpace Find It! for BlackBerry

Last edited by Torgerson; 02-25-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 02-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks. I have this installed on a TMo Pearl. When it starts up it doesn't find my GPS location. I have a GlobalSat 359.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
smoothballer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Torgerson,

Is this software really free or is it just a free trial? Because on the InfoSpace Find It! homepage, it is only offering a free 60 day trial. I have downloaded the program OTA, but is it going to die or change my account after the 60 days?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Does this app change your gps settings. If so please warn people
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

This app will not pick up GPS from my Bluetooth GlobalSat 359. It has good mapping without the GPS. However, when I close it and go back to BBMaps I can't get GPS with BBMaps. I have to turn the GPS puck off and then back on and I've even had to delete the puck from the Bluetooth list and re-pair it.

This one is not doing it for me.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Thanks. I have this installed on a TMo Pearl. When it starts up it doesn't find my GPS location. I have a GlobalSat 359.
Sorry John,
To be clear, the GPS we currently support is the built in GPS on the handset. Not the GPS pucks (as of yet at least). We are working to have a solution for pucks soon.

Sorry for the confusion. Once we are ready to test, if it is ok, maybe I can give you a holler to try it out. I don't happen to have that puck handy.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothballer
Torgerson,

Is this software really free or is it just a free trial? Because on the InfoSpace Find It! homepage, it is only offering a free 60 day trial. I have downloaded the program OTA, but is it going to die or change my account after the 60 days?
Yup! This is REALLY free. The website you see is the marketing site which was initially targeted at the Sprint/Nextel relationship we have. We have a contract with them for a 60 day free trial and then a $2.99 a month subscription model. For the Blackberry, we are 100% free.

We will be updating the website soon to reflect the fact that the Blackberry will never expire. Thanks for the question.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgerson
Sorry John,
To be clear, the GPS we currently support is the built in GPS on the handset. Not the GPS pucks (as of yet at least). We are working to have a solution for pucks soon.

Sorry for the confusion. Once we are ready to test, if it is ok, maybe I can give you a holler to try it out. I don't happen to have that puck handy.
So, in essence, this is a GPS app for the 8800's and Nextels only and a just a voice/mapping app for the rest of the devices. Since it messes up my BT GPS connection (not sure why) I'm going to remove it from my 8100 until a solution for BT pucks comes out.

I would be happy to try it again at that point.

Edit: It appears this works on the Verizon phones with *crippled* GPS services!

Last edited by John Clark; 02-21-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Does this app change your gps settings. If so please warn people
Good question Stinsonddog, the application does not actually do anything with the GPS settings on your phone.

The application uses internal Blackberry API's to access Location Based Services. The phone (if it has the ability) will either return a true GPS location based on the GPS chipset, or fall back to LBS which can either be triangulation or a cell tower location. (the farther down the stack you go, the less accurate). It really depends on the signal strength (and capabilities) of the phone. It will never change settings on you.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Then why would it mess up the connection between my BT puck and BBMaps? I can start BBMaps, Start GPS in BBMaps and it works fine. I stop GPS, and open your application. It doesn't read any GPS info (due to the fact that it doesn't support BT pucks). When I go back to BBMaps the GPS will not start. I haven't had this problem until installing InfoSpace.

It's a great app, I just don't like that, somehow, it causes my other apps to lose connection with the puck.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So, in essence, this is a GPS app for the 8800 only and a just a voice/mapping app for the rest of the devices. Since it messes up my BT GPS connection (not sure why) I'm going to remove it from my 8100 until a solution for BT pucks comes out.

I would be happy to try it again at that point.
We support 7110i, 7130e,7250,7520,8703e and the 8800 for phones with compatible GPS Chipsets.

I am very curious as to why you said it messes up your GPS connection. We have not had any issues with GPS pucks being affected by the application being installed. I have a GPS puck on my 8100 device and also use InfoSpace Find It! and it does not affect my GPS settings at all. (our code only reads the LBS APIs on the phone).

If you can give me the details of what happened, I can have the team look into this and see if they can get an answer for you.

And as soon as we get out a version that supports the pucks (I will be a happy camper too), i will let you know. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Then why would it mess up the connection between my BT puck and BBMaps? I can start BBMaps, Start GPS in BBMaps and it works fine. I stop GPS, and open your application. It doesn't read any GPS info (due to the fact that it doesn't support BT pucks). When I go back to BBMaps the GPS will not start. I haven't had this problem until installing InfoSpace.

It's a great app, I just don't like that, somehow, it causes my other apps to lose connection with the puck.
OK, looks like we overlapped on the postings..

Let me run over to my QA guy's desk and have him do some quick tests if we can. I will let you know.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Good question Stinsonddog, the application does not actually do anything with the GPS settings on your phone.

The application uses internal Blackberry API's to access Location Based Services. The phone (if it has the ability) will either return a true GPS location based on the GPS chipset, or fall back to LBS which can either be triangulation or a cell tower location. (the farther down the stack you go, the less accurate). It really depends on the signal strength (and capabilities) of the phone. It will never change settings on you.
Well I have to admit I am impressed... I have the 8703e on the Bell Mobility Network and we all know that the GPS is disabled (like Verizon)... But I downloaded the application and gave it a try... It actually returned a location!!!! Granted it is not very accurate (a few street down from my house) so not that good for direction... But to find what is near me... It will work... Now.. If only there was a Canadian content! Because as it is... There is absolutely nothing near me!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
We support 7110i, 7130e,7250,7520,8703e and the 8800 for phones with compatible GPS Chipsets.
My bad...I left out the Nextels. Didn't realize it would work on the Verizon phones as they lock out the GPS but it appears you've gotten around that. Nice work.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentarus
Well I have to admit I am impressed... I have the 8703e on the Bell Mobility Network and we all know that the GPS is disabled (like Verizon)... But I downloaded the application and gave it a try... It actually returned a location!!!! Granted it is not very accurate (a few street down from my house) so not that good for direction... But to find what is near me... It will work... Now.. If only there was a Canadian content! Because as it is... There is absolutely nothing near me!
Good to hear it is working. The reason you are seeing a variation in the location is the application most likely fell back to the cell tower location in this case. At that, it is better than nothing if you don't know where you are.. but we would like to do better longterm.

In my own trips to the Toronto area, i also had frustration with no content. We have had discussions about providing Canadian data as an additional feed, as of right now it is not available. Of course from a product guy, you won't get guarantees but you can rest assured it is something we are interested in.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
My bad...I left out the Nextels. Didn't realize it would work on the Verizon phones as they lock out the GPS but it appears you've gotten around that. Nice work.
Not 100% success yet.. but we are shooting for it. And clearly we want the pucks to work as well.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Torg,
I was able to duplicate the problem a couple times earlier today. However, now when I try it I have no problems going from InfoSpace to BBMaps. Could have been something else on my end or just a glitch. Most likely some operator error!

I'll continue to try it out and post back. It would be very nice to have the BT puck support, though.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
southbayyouth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I have the 8703e (Verizon) installed the software successfully. I know that verizon cripples the GPS, yet someone said above that this application works with Verizon.

It doesn't seem like this is a GPS program. ie: i have to type in the address of where i am currently located and then type in the destination. Shouldn't the GPS automatically recognize my current location and all i would have to do is type in the destination?

So it would seem this aspect of the program is a maps program, i type in the two points of on the map and it retrieves the information from your website similar to mapquest but on the blackberry. It gives voice direction via prompts by user, not by gps.

Am i correct in all this or am i missing something?

Seems like the program is a combination of 411 and BB Maps. Which isn't a bad thing, but i thought i was getting a free gps application.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbayyouth
I have the 8703e (Verizon) installed the software successfully. I know that verizon cripples the GPS, yet someone said above that this application works with Verizon.

It doesn't seem like this is a GPS program. ie: i have to type in the address of where i am currently located and then type in the destination. Shouldn't the GPS automatically recognize my current location and all i would have to do is type in the destination?

So it would seem this aspect of the program is a maps program, i type in the two points of on the map and it retrieves the information from your website similar to mapquest but on the blackberry. It gives voice direction via prompts by user, not by gps.

Am i correct in all this or am i missing something?

Seems like the program is a combination of 411 and BB Maps. Which isn't a bad thing, but i thought i was getting a free gps application.
Sorry for the confusion.. I will actually go back and update the initial text to be more clear.

This DOES find your location using GPS if you have a phone / carrier that supports it. Otherwise you are correct in that you have to type in your information and look up what's around you. Unfortunately, phone/carrier GPS support is limited. We are focused on trying to get PUCK support as soon as we can.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Unable to make this work on 7130e with Bell Mobility. Keep getting "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible Network problems, try again". Tried several times but same results.
Closed Thread