BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
stinkyfeet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 24273b23....which blackberry will i have next???
Carrier: ATT Mobility
Angry bluetooth sync

Please Login to Remove!

okay am i missing something..... winxp sp2 has a built in bluetooth driver i've never seen that option. i have to use the driver that came with my bluetooth usb adaptor. I'm using winxp media center could that be the reason why.....man i want to be able to do this Grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Winston S.
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you uninstall your BT drivers that came with the BT adapter. Windows should notify you that a new device has been found and it should install the windows BT drivers for you.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

you need to get a BT dongle that is supported by the native XP bt stack. An example of one that works well is THIS (only $9 after the rebate!)
Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
uncseb

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I too have Windows XP SP2 installed and I am not able to find anything related to Bluetooth on my pc. I checked the Device manager and Control Panel like I have seen in previous posts?

Where Can I get these drivers??

I am trying to sync my info from my outlook calender without the USB cable?

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong??

Thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Winston S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncseb
I too have Windows XP SP2 installed and I am not able to find anything related to Bluetooth on my pc. I checked the Device manager and Control Panel like I have seen in previous posts?

Where Can I get these drivers??

I am trying to sync my info from my outlook calender without the USB cable?

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong??

Thanks
Does your PC or laptop have the bluetooth hardware?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
uncseb

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I dont believe that my laptop does. So is that what I need to get??

And any ideas where??

Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Winston S.

There are many places where you can pick one up. You can try all your large local stores such as best buy or circuit city. You can also buy online at such places as newegg.com
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
grape8pe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Has anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with a bluetooth sync with Windows 2000?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
jfkuchta

Model: 8800
Wink Bluetooth Sync - Finally successful and loving it

Short of being on the BES, the Bluetooth sync is good stuff. Here's a couple areas where I got hung up and hope this helps others:

Follow the knlowledge article on Bluetooth sync to a T. There's really no easy way to skip any of the steps. There are workarounds however. I apologize for not being able to summarize with proper links to threads, but I'm new blood and can't post links yet. With proper key word searches on this site, you should be able to find any appropriate workarounds.

From what I have read so far, the folllowing two issues seem to be what's holding the majority of people up:

1. Bluetooth adaptor/dongle: in order for the SP2 drivers to find your adaptor/dongle, it must be supported by your bth.inf file. If not, see Morser's post on this subject for a way to edit the bth.inf file. Once that file has your adaptor/dongle info, the SP2 drivers should load.

2. No matter how you try to avoid it, you must have "Desktop Connectivity" and "Wireless Bypass" listed under your Bluetooth options. For those not on BES or do not have access to an IT person that can push you a BES policy, this is tricky. From what I have read and tried, a fresh policy.bin will not help here. You will need a BES to push these policies to your device. Now, a little secret that may get me in trouble with the folks at RIM - they do operate a test BES and can push the policy to you (they did it for me). Just a word of advice on how to approach it - do not call RIM directly; they always want you to try to get the problem solved by your carrier's Tech support. While we all know that the carriers' tech support can not help on this type of issue, go ahead and humor them with a call first, and when they can not figure it out, they will put you in touch with RIM tech support. Now, RIM tech support will also not be forthcoming with the fact that they can push a policy to you, so let them go through the checklist with you. When you get to the point of discussing the missing policy issues, they will explain that you need to be on a BES. Mention to them that this is not possible for you, and you are dissapointed that they are not able to assist. At that point, assuming your speaking with someone who is not a complete jerk, they should tell you that they will escalate your case and get back to you within 24 hours. When they get back to you, they should push the policies to you from their test BES. If you have a way for someone else to push these policies to you, try that first before hitting up RIM as I really don't think they are keen on doing this. I understand RIM's security issues and stance here, but I also believe that they need to catch up to their constantly increasing base of consumer (not business) users that may not be on a BES or have access to one and have a restrictive policy (due to e-bay purchase or otherwise).

3. If desktop manager still can not find your device, try pairing by having your device find your computer (and not vice versa) and then let Desktop Manager find your device.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 AM   #10
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Not sure why RIM is so resistant to fix the problem by sending you a fully functional policy, we paid for the device so I would think they would want you to have one fully functional??? Good advertisement for them...

Their going to get so complacent about being number one until the lead begins to slip. It's the consumer that makes a company number one and it's consumers that will keep them there. A new device will come along and RIM will hear a sucking sound complete with layoffs...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
BBGeo

Model: 8700C

I have Wireless Bypass and Desktop Connectivity listed as services under Blutooth options for my 8700C. However, those services are not listed on the laptop device properties. So, even though I can pair the two devices, I can't connect with any service other than Handsfree, which exists in both service lists. I've tried Morser's solution and no luck. I'm using a Belkin BT USB adapter, XP Pro SP2. Help!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
scollier

Model: 7290
Default Bluetooth Connectivity

I am brand new to this forum and find many of the postings on this topic pretty advanced.

I am trying to connect my BB 7290 to my desktop using a Bluetooth USB adapter. Am running Windows XP and Desktop Manager 4.2. Not Connected to an Enterprise Server. I have followed the Knowledge Base instructions "How to Setup Bluetooth Connectivity" through Task 5 successfully. Task 6 fails - Desktop Manager is not able to recognize the device.

Is there a good discussion out there on how to address this problem?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 AM   #13
mypdaphones

Model: 8100
Carrier: alltel

Yes, BT dongle is supported by the native XP bt stack. It's working
Old 12-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollier
I am brand new to this forum and find many of the postings on this topic pretty advanced.

I am trying to connect my BB 7290 to my desktop using a Bluetooth USB adapter. Am running Windows XP and Desktop Manager 4.2. Not Connected to an Enterprise Server. I have followed the Knowledge Base instructions "How to Setup Bluetooth Connectivity" through Task 5 successfully. Task 6 fails - Desktop Manager is not able to recognize the device.

Is there a good discussion out there on how to address this problem?

Pretty sure you have to be on BES to get this to work. This policy needs to be pushed to the BB in order for the laptop to have BT enabled in DM. I have mine working for the latter. Am trying to see if my IT can change the policy and push it. From the KB article

Troubleshooting
If the Enable Bluetooth Support check box and Configure Bluetooth button are not enabled on the BlackBerry
Device Manager Properties window or the Connection Settings window, your computer may not be using native Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth radio drivers. Verify that you are running the Bluetooth device manager that came with Windows XP SP2 (see Task 2).

If your BlackBerry device cannot be found on the Add Bluetooth Device window, your BlackBerry Enterprise Server may not have the proper IT policies enabled. Contact your system administrator to verify that the following IT policies are set to FALSE:
xxx56256;xxx56442; Disable Desktop Connectivity
xxx56256;xxx56442; Disable Wireless Bypass
Note: These IT policies are only available in BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 Service Pack 3 and later.

WELL MY IT WON'T CHANGE THE POLICY. YUCK.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 12-19-2006 at 02:09 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

So alls well that ends well - discovered that we have full wireless sync enabled. Previously I only thought of tasks and email, but I have learned that I can my push my address book and memo pad into hidden fields in my mail file which then synch wirelessly. So don't need the BT policy after all but it would have worked fine. Now I am using the BT dongle with Street Atlas if I want.
Closed Thread