BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #41
grape8pe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Mine works fine using USB. I just used the guides on this forum about setting up USB tethering. Things aren't too much different in Vista, just different locations.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #42
Kenal0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroB View Post
Hello everyone, I was looking in this forum about Pearl function with Bluetooth or USB as DUN, but as I can see you have almost the problem with it, I also have have the problem with Bluetooth drivers on vista showing only 2 Bluetooth Peripherl device and windows vista cannot recognize them, also on BT device properties it doesn´t show DUN service at all, and can't even get to recognize my BB as a modem under USB, I've searching in other forums and some people can get their BB 8100 to work under USB, but none of them show how to, so, I'm asking if any of you have connected with USB DUN your BB, I'll appreciate it a lot.
I have connected via usb. The desktop manager has to be running and show connected via usb, then then I set up my dial up connection using the instructions from Cingular site https://www.cingular.com/support/setupOTW.do
This works fine but I cannot get the bluetooth modem installed so I can only use usb.
Kenal0
Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #43
psymn

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default New info from RIM

I called Tmobile support about setting a Bluetooth modem in vista, and got escalated all the way to RIM.

The answer for now is that RIM does not support Bluetooth in Vista. They were surprised that I can sync via bluetooth, and said that they do not have fully functional Bluetooth drivers. This is likely a 2 way issue, since the Bluetooth drivers and support are supplied by Microsoft.

The 2 flagged bluetooth devices that show up in the device manager when the 8100 is connected are for the modem and mass storage device. They are non-functional because the drivers are not ready yet. Gotta love Vista!

Matt
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #44
PedroB

Carrier: Movistar Venezuela

I´ve finally get it to work under vista with usb, also can sync via Bluetooth, as I read before yes you are right those two bt peripheral one is for mass storage/dun and the other one for desktop manager, had to reformat my hdd and did a clean install of vista, before i had my vista upgraded form windows xp and it didn´t install standard modem with rim. thank you all, i'll keep finding a solution.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #45
Kenal0

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymn View Post
I called Tmobile support about setting a Bluetooth modem in vista, and got escalated all the way to RIM.

The answer for now is that RIM does not support Bluetooth in Vista. They were surprised that I can sync via bluetooth, and said that they do not have fully functional Bluetooth drivers. This is likely a 2 way issue, since the Bluetooth drivers and support are supplied by Microsoft.

The 2 flagged bluetooth devices that show up in the device manager when the 8100 is connected are for the modem and mass storage device. They are non-functional because the drivers are not ready yet. Gotta love Vista!

Matt
That was my understanding from reading around. Lets hope that the drivers become available soon. The real strange thing is that I had a Sony UX380 micropc running Vista Business and it worked fine via bluetooth. I returned the device and purchased the Samsung Q1P with Vista premium and no go.
Go figure.
Kenal0
Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #46
krayt

Carrier: Tmo

Funny enough, I got a Motion Computing tablet PC (Windows XP Tablet) and all I had to do was start the bluetooth, pair, enter the init commands and number, it works great.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #47
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I don't have an 8100 but I do have an 8830. I was having similar problems as some of the folks here. My bluetooth would find the BB but didn't provide any DUN services, etc. Only headset.

I think it's very dependent on what Bluetooth drivers are provided with your Bluetooth adapter (built-in or otherwise.) I found a website with instructions that (after a great deal of effort) worked for me.

Click Here

The part that gave me the biggest headache is that I had to completely remove the software (not just uninstall the drivers) for my Thinkpad. I did that through the old-fashioned "add/remove programs" (named slightly differently in Vista.)

But, in the end, this worked very well for me. It just took some patience and persistence. I think MS's stock BT drivers for Vista are just seriously lacking.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LarryH; 05-25-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #48
Kenal0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
I don't have an 8100 but I do have an 8830. I was having similar problems as some of the folks here. My bluetooth would find the BB but didn't provide any DUN services, etc. Only headset.

I think it's very dependent on what Bluetooth drivers are provided with your Bluetooth adapter (built-in or otherwise.) I found a website with instructions that (after a great deal of effort) worked for me.

Click Here

The part that gave me the biggest headache is that I had to completely remove the software (not just uninstall the drivers) for my Thinkpad. I did that through the old-fashioned "add/remove programs" (named slightly differently in Vista.)

But, in the end, this worked very well for me. It just took some patience and persistence. I think MS's stock BT drivers for Vista are just seriously lacking.

Hope this helps.
This driver worked for me.
Kenal0
Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #49
microman

Carrier: Cingular

so, Kenal0, doing these steps, you were then able to find the drivers needed for the 2 devices in device manager that you were unable to find before?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #50
Kenal0

Yes, I followed the instructions and got it working. I ran into one small problem but that was due to an earlier stab at installing the Widcomm drivers. Once I deleted that driver and followed the directions, everything went smoothly and I can now surf the internet using my blackberry pearl via bluetooth. No more usb cable.
Kenal0
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #51
microman

Carrier: Cingular

awesome! This worked for me on my Thinkpad T60.. works like a charm now.. i can now dialup via bluetooth.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #52
bsz101

Carrier: Tmobile
Default TMO Users on .64

I'm not sure if it was anything else, but I could not get it to dial by following the instructions from the site referenced in this thread. Everything else loaded and setup fine, but it would hang when trying to dial.

Then I got off the .64 TMO release and upgraded to the latest AT&T OS (see sticky thread).

That did the trick. Nothing else changed in my settings and now it works great. 8100 as a Bluetooth modem on my Dell D620 with Vista.

Thanks!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #53
grantpant

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default can you help me connect via bluetooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antineutrino View Post
I have searched thru this forum and read a whole bunch of threads on how to set up BB tethering and most of them are very informative. But all the threads I read said that it is not possible to set up bb as a bluetooth modem yet (maybe they were old?)

* I apologize if there is another thread on this, i just could not find one *

Anyway, it is possible. I'll try to explain how.

1. First, set up pairing between your PC (or laptop) and your BB:
Right-click on the bluetooth icon on the taskbar->Open Bluetooth settings->Add...->read instructions and set up a password if you want.
Then look at your phone, it should ask you if you allow this connections, (and for the password.)

2. Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager (4.2 SP1 as of the time this was written.)
Start it up, go to options -> connection settings, check "Enable bluetooth support," click on configure bluetooth -> add... and add your device.
Then click ok, make sure your phone has bluetooth on.
Your desktop manager should be now "connected" with the BB.

3. Go back to the windows bluetooth settings (step 1.)
Select the device, click Properties -> Services and put a checkmark on "Dial-Up Networking." Windows should be installing the drivers for the BT modem now automatically.

4. Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Phone and Modem options -> Modems, select the Bluetooth modem, click on Properties, then click on "Change settings", wait for the annoying popup, click Allow. Go to Advanced and put this in the field:

** Provider specific from here on ***

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (for T-Mobile. Please search other threads for different providers)

5. Set up a Dial-up connection. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a connection or a network - > Set up a dial-up connection.
Use "Standard modem over Bluetooth link." Phone # for T-mobile is *99#
Username/password are empty.

6. Go back to Control panel -> network and sharing center. Click on "Manage network connections" and right-click->properties on the one that you just created. Click on the modem -> Configure -> Uncheck "Enable hardware flow control" and uncheck "Enable speaker." Click ok.
Go to "Networking Tab", select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties->Advanced and uncheck "Use IP Header Compression"

7. Dial and it should work.

I'm sorry for the format of the how-to but if you are reading this, you have probably tried doing this thing a few times.
I'll try it under linux this weekend. I hope i get some results.

If you have any questions, reply to this thread, I'll be glad to help out.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
I'm using Windows Vista, and i am having one hell of a time trying to connect to the desktop manager via bluetooth. i did it before and now i cannot remember how i did it. i'm getting frustrated. ultimately, i would like to tether to use my pearl as my modem via bluetooth for when i'm not in a hotspot (my school doesn't have wi-fi). but i've got to get this bluetooth connection figured out first. the process of pairing with my pearl seems to be a bit different than you describe, but once i've got that done (i think), i move over to the desktop manager->options->connection setting->"enable bluetooth support" is already checked-> configure bluetooth->add, and it does not find my pearl. i need some help. i think i am bluetooth retarted. can you help me? Thanks for you time.
-Grant
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #54
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
This driver worked for me.
Kenal0
hey i dont know if you guys have the same problem, i did the instructions on that dev site and my bb works as a bluetooth modem now, but i cant connect to the desktop manager anymore through bluetooth. The only thing i can do is dial up netoworking, and audio gateway. anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #55
wesfinger

Default Where to find btwusb.inf?

Hello all -- I am trying to follow the instructions, but cannot find the btwusb.inf file referenced in the instructions (Step 2). Do I need to execute the downloaded WIDCOMM drivers first in order for that file to be created?

Edit: Never mind -- I was looking in my computer's root directory -- not the extract. Sorry!

Last edited by wesfinger; 09-13-2007 at 06:57 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #56
xelencin

Model: None
Carrier: None

I have a HP tx 1000 with a HP / Broadcom Bluetooth stack.

Vista detects the 2 unknown bluetooth devices which no drivers are available for and DUN doesn't show as an option on the PC though it does on the phone.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #57
xelencin

Model: None
Carrier: None

Dev-Toast » Blog Archive » Uncrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM

For anyone having the issue where DUN does not show as an option and Vista is asking to install 2 bluetooth devices it doesn't have drivers for, the link above will resolve this issue.

It's an issue with both Vista's (Microsoft) Bluetooth Stack and BlackBerry devices. The Vista Bluetooth stack does not support DUN, only PAN (Personal Area Network), and the BlackBerry is the opposite only supporting DUN and not PAN.

A majority of manufacturers are now using the Vista Bluetooth stack over the OEM stack for the Bluetooth chipset.

It's an issue on Microsofts side for cutting DUN support, and an issue on RIM's side for not supporting PAN.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #58
BerryBerry009

Carrier: T-mobile

thanks for your awesome effort in writting this forum! But I'm having trouble with my vista it did locate the USB the one above com1 and com2. (the USB that came with the phone to hook up to your computer)But it wont let me check off the bluetooth part. what should I do? please help.

Last edited by BerryBerry009; 01-16-2008 at 12:24 AM..
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #59
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I need some assistance, please. I am going to a trade show this weeken where I do not believe WiFi access will be available. I have an TMO 8320, a Thinkpad X61 Tablet PC.

I've finally just got my x61 Tablet running well after updating Windows Vista (Business) and the Thinkpad drivers via the ThinkVantage software.

To be blunt, but I am a "user", not a programmer or nerd or geek (my wife is that person, and she's out of town for 2 weeks). I know just enough about technology and this stuff to get myself into more trouble than rectifying issues.

I went to the "UnCrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM" by Dev-Hack, and followed the instructions to see how they went (without actually DOING anything). Under the section where it says "go to computer>properties>Device Manager)

I discovered: that there is no listing for BlueTooth, nor is there a listing for "Other Devices". I checked every entry in device manager, but nothing was "BlueTooth" or BT or similar. Under Ports, there is a RIM Virtual Serial Port for Com 4 and Com 5. That's the closest I get to anythign related to Bluetooth.

I searched for the file "BTWUSB.INF", and there isn't one. Because my BT adaptor is internal to the laptop, this makes sense, but was initially a concern. So i went to the C:\Windows directory, and found the following files:

BTH
BTH.PNF
BTHPAN
BTHPAN.PNF
BTHPRINT
BTHPRINT.PNF
BTHSPP
BTHSPP.PNF

Opening the BTH file, which had a "type" description of "Setup Information" with the PNF saying "Precompiled Setup Information". The "plain" BTH file had the title at the top
; Microsoft Windows Bluetooth Driver INF

Bingo. Ok, so I found that.

In referencing LarryH's post above about having to uninstall the actual BT Software, not just rename the old driver, I found "Thinkpad Bluetooth w/enhanced data rate software 6.0.1.4900" in the Programs and Features section in the Control Panel.

OK, so I read the instructions listed on page 1 of this, and can get my 8320 to pair with the laptop, but it lists only audio as options. On my 8320 it lists a bunch of other things.

When I tried adding my 8320 to the DM (4.2.2.14 SP2), it found and added it, then my Blackberry just shut off. Bam. Also, my laptop was asking to install drivers for my Blackberry device, asking for a CD, which I don't have.

There was no BT option under DUN using the Thinkpad modem (standard modem wouldn't even let me do anything with it).

Ok...I think I've explained all I've done/accomplished, but not the most lucidly, I realize.

Here's what I am asking...finally:

Can someone walk me through this, step by step, on how to get my X61 tablet to use my 8320 as a modem via Bluetooth. It can be either written, or over the phone. I will be happy to pay a reasonable consultation fee to do this.

Thanks for whatever assistance you might be able to provide.

Tim
602-402-7385

Last edited by TimW; 01-30-2008 at 11:21 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #60
golf8664

Model: 8320
Default Vista, using BB as tethered modem via bluetooth

For those of you Vista users who are having problem when you pair up your BB with Vista and get the annoying no device drivers found.

It said in the BlackBerry support you need BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 or later to use BB as a tethered modem via Bluetooth.

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2.x and earlier does not support Bluetooth tethered modem functionality with Windows Vista

Did you try to upgrade you BB device software to version 4.3 or version 4.5?
You can download both from BlackBerry download site.

Hope this helps. Let me know.
Closed Thread