BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Starting to become frustrated with BB...

Please Login to Remove!

So, I've been an AVID blackberry fan for about 6+ years now. Owned 6-8 different blackberrys in that time. Nothing could ever compete in my book...

Well, a month ago I picked up an Ipad 2 (so I could do presentations on it for work rather than lugging around the work provided Dell laptop) - a big piece of plastic.

Anyways, I know i'm not comparing apples to apples here - but the ipad iOS doesn't lag at all - multi task with ease (i know the torch was a blunder since BB didn't upgrade the processor) - but even playing with my brothers iphone a few weeks ago - it's just very easy to use.

Also, my current job doesn't support BES - so emails are SLOW. sometimes 10 seconds later - sometimes 10 minutes. They do support activesync with iphone/ipads so my emails are delivered to my ipad instantly.

The only thing currently holding me back from jumping ship to an ipad (at least to try out) is that i'm grandfathered into the unlimited BB data plan. But then again, i have NEVER gone over 1 gb data - so maybe thats a stupid reason to stay put.

I would however like to use wireless hotspot with a blackberry - and use that data rather than paying $20/month for ipad data.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Starting to become frustrated with BB...

But you can't use the iPad as a phone.

Is instantaneous, at the speed of heat, email really necessary? I have never found the need for it - and I am the CEO of a company. If someone wants me that fast, they have my cell number - call me. If not, then keep your shirt on, I am busy.

I have an iPad, and have found it to be a laptop replacement for only email, surfing, reading ebooks and similar tasks. I cannot see it replacing my MacBook and my Windows laptop. You cannot do PowerPoint, Word or Excel on it, at least to the degree that I need it. I do take the iPad on short trips out of the office, and on overnights but I always have a laptop if I need it.

And you really are comparing apples to BBs. Two totally different devices with different purposes. iPhone and iPad are more consumer devices, designed to do consumer things. the BB is a business tool first. My guess is you aren't going to be happy until you try an iPhone for awhile.

I had a client give me an iPhone and paid the bills for a year. At the end of the year, I gave it back and powered up my old BB. IMHO, you can't beat the BB. It does what I want it to do, how I want it to do it and when I need to do it. If it doesn't work for you, then try something else.

And we will leave the light on for you. I bet you will be back.

My personal opinion, by the way.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
iphonenowtorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ROGERS

Im confused why you are posting here, in the torch forum about the ipad... ? Are you talking about making the switch from BB to iphone?

* I did make the switch, iphone to BB and would never go back. iphone for me is a toy. I still use mine for the apps (mostly games). But when I use it, its very frustration that its all touch screen (there is no trackpad/cursor), and I also hate that there is only one button. I love that my Torch has a "back" button and a Blackberry button that gives you options within the app you are in.

Last edited by iphonenowtorch; 04-13-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
dragonryder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Everyone that works for me had iPhones and I have the Torch. While they can surf eBay, Netflix, and play games all day long, I can complete docs, PowerPoints, and spread sheets. They cannot.
Oh, and I can surf eBay and Amazon as well when I want to.
BlackBerrys rock.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
...I can complete docs, PowerPoints, and spread sheets. They cannot.
Why can't they?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

A couple of annoying things about IOS(iPhone,iPad etc) devices

1) three way calling is really, really awkward. On the BB you can just dial the new number from an existing call and hit the ,<send> button twice
2. Can't delete multiple items easily
3. distribution lists difficult to deal with in contact list
4. Home button is awkward, I like the BB escape button waaaay better
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I use my wife's IPhone lots to play angry bird, that all. IPhones dont suit me, at least none of the ones in the market.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
frankharrah
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm a homicide detective and the BB Torch is my second BB, first was an 8900 Curve/Javelin. A friend kept after me until I got the Curve and I was happy with it from the start. The Torch has become as much if not more of a favorite/useful tool. I'm also happy that if something goes haywire (wrong) with it, I can change parts (replace battery, etc.) on my own. I also use it for access to some of our data bases and I'm able to access photos, etc. in the field. I agree with some of the other posts, the i-phone is a great product, but it doesn't seem to be as "work-designed" as the BB line.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Jarrod623

PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...

I to have become a very big BlackBerry fan and would NEVER trade my BlackBerry for ANY phone on the marker. I have had many BB's and iPhones and the BB's will always be true in my heart. They are by far a better product.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

Each phone has it's pluses and minuses. iPhone internet speed blows the BB into the weeds. Hard to believe they are on the same network. Form factor is what sells me on the BB. I'm just slumming with this funky Torch till the new bold comes out.
"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I took the plunge - dumped the BB and got an iphone...

have to say - not missing the BB... I use the iphone as a wifi hotspot to my ipad... they all sync perfect (my work doens't have BB exchange so it's never accurate)

And i got to keep my unlimited data plan... Been a good long 6 years. but im satisfied for now
Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr View Post
Well, I took the plunge - dumped the BB and got an iphone...

have to say - not missing the BB... I use the iphone as a wifi hotspot to my ipad... they all sync perfect (my work doens't have BB exchange so it's never accurate)

And i got to keep my unlimited data plan... Been a good long 6 years. but im satisfied for now
Not sure about some of what you're rambling about. What is "BB exchange" that your work "doens't" have? If you mean BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) my company doesn't have it either, and my BlackBerry is always "accurate", so no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Not sure about some of what you're rambling about. What is "BB exchange" that your work "doens't" have? If you mean BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) my company doesn't have it either, and my BlackBerry is always "accurate", so no idea what you're talking about.
My BB doest not receive instant email. Lags 5-10minutes

iPhone syncs perfect.

I realize I'm posting on a biased forum - if i posted on an iphone forum they would say BB sucks.

I'm not saying i don't miss features of my BB - but I don't miss it enough to go back i dont think

I used to have 50 BBM contacts... Now I have 10. I don't think BB can compete the way they used too. (trust me I wish this wasn't the case cause I've lost $$ in RIMM stock)

It's been fun
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

Agreed for the most part, but I get g mail instantly and the new Bold touch is gonna make me very happy. I've played with my kid's iPhone. Not happening. Piss on that virtual keypad.
"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Whether email is instant or on a polling cycle depends on the email service provider and RIM. It's an old topic and I'm sure there's an article at blackberry.com.

In my case, the carrier email address is instant, also yahoo, windows live, and Bellsouth (hosted on Yahoo). The AT&T address is also hosted on Yahoo, but for some odd reason it is not instant.