BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
johndyoung
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Default 7250 upgrade to EVDO

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded my Blackberry to the new verion of the operating system, 4.0.2 and upgraded the Desktop Manager to the new version. I followed all of the steps in the message on this forum for doing this. After completing it, I still have 3 problems and I am hoping someone on here can solve them from me.

First, I am on a BES with my company and get my company e-mail on my Blackberry. Since upgrading, I can receive but not send e-mail. Whenever I try to send an e-mail on my Blackberry, I get an e-mail at my home e-mail adress (not in any way associated with the BES) and it contains the following header, RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a2. It also contains an attached file, ETP.DAT, and the body of the message says that it is used to carry data between the Blackberry and an associated server. I have talked to Verizon and my company BES people and no one knows why this message is coming to my home address. Does anyone on here know where this message comes from, and how to stop it?

Second, before upgrading, I could push the phone button and they type a name and it would search the address book for like names. Since upgrading, that feature does not work, and Verizon says they think it was removed in the newer version of the software. I can't believe RIM would remove that feature. Does anyone know how I can get that search feature back after pushing the phone key?

Third, my BlueTooth headset used to automatically connect to a dialed call as soon as I dialed the call. Since the upgrade, I have to dial the call on the Blackberry and then push the button on the Bluetooth headset inorder to be able to hear and talk on the headset. Again, Verizon said they think that feature must have been removed in the upgrade, but I don't believe it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndyoung
I upgraded my Blackberry to the new verion of the operating system, 4.0.2 and upgraded the Desktop Manager to the new version. I followed all of the steps in the message on this forum for doing this. After completing it, I still have 3 problems and I am hoping someone on here can solve them from me.

First, I am on a BES with my company and get my company e-mail on my Blackberry. Since upgrading, I can receive but not send e-mail. Whenever I try to send an e-mail on my Blackberry, I get an e-mail at my home e-mail adress (not in any way associated with the BES) and it contains the following header, RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a2. It also contains an attached file, ETP.DAT, and the body of the message says that it is used to carry data between the Blackberry and an associated server. I have talked to Verizon and my company BES people and no one knows why this message is coming to my home address. Does anyone on here know where this message comes from, and how to stop it?
You need to regenerate the security key or reactivate with the BES to fix this.

Quote:
Second, before upgrading, I could push the phone button and they type a name and it would search the address book for like names. Since upgrading, that feature does not work, and Verizon says they think it was removed in the newer version of the software. I can't believe RIM would remove that feature. Does anyone know how I can get that search feature back after pushing the phone key?
You have to be in the name section (where it shows recently dialed people for this to work)

Quote:
Third, my BlueTooth headset used to automatically connect to a dialed call as soon as I dialed the call. Since the upgrade, I have to dial the call on the Blackberry and then push the button on the Bluetooth headset inorder to be able to hear and talk on the headset. Again, Verizon said they think that feature must have been removed in the upgrade, but I don't believe it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem.
Sorry, haven't used a bluetooth headset.

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tomryan; 01-08-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

johndyoung - there is a huge stickied thread at the very top of the General Discussion list of threads that can help you. No sense recreating the wheel when there's already one available.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
johndyoung

I appreciate your help. I have reactivated the enterprise and it didn't help. I also have been in the name section, and nothing happens when I try to type.

I know there is a hugh section on upgrading to EVDO. I have read that section extensively and didn't find any problems like mine there. That was the reason I started a new message. Don't want to create a problem, but I need help and Verizon is not providing it. I am hoping someone on here will really know the answer.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
. . . Second, before upgrading, I could push the phone button and they type a name and it would search the address book for like names. Since upgrading, that feature does not work, and Verizon says they think it was removed in the newer version of the software. I can't believe RIM would remove that feature. Does anyone know how I can get that search feature back after pushing the phone key?

This still works for me after the upgrade on my 7250 as long as you have Dialed from the Home Screen as: "NO".

This is happening to me as well, so I believe this may be the case. I use a motorola HS820. Unless it is a flaw on the HS820 itself that it is unable to pair with that function being it is an older headset. We would have to compare that with others with newer headsets to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
johndyoung

Thanks for your help. I disabled "dial from home screen" and it still didn't work. I then looked at the phone list view option and changed it from call log to name. Now I can type a name and it will search the contact list as before.

I am also using a HS820. It is interesting that you are having the same problem.

I would think that someone at Verizon Support would have been able to answer these questions but they could not. After I asked the questions, the guy put me on hold, and when he came back he said he had been trying all of the options in Phone and could not make it work so he assumed that it had been taken out of the new version. I even asked him to elevate me to the next level of help and he said he couldn't. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he put me on hold for several minutes and came back and said none was available. I personally expect better service than that.

I appreciate your help. This group is very valuable for solving each others problems.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
KonTiki

Glad I could help, and after i saw your response i did check and see i also have it as name on the log and just forgot to tell you so it is behaving as it should. I think that the HS-820 is an older headset and this is a brand new OS it is possible that the two are not talking the same language, maybe on a revision, what I would like to know is if this accross all models of headsets or just this one. Soon my son is getting his BB and I am going to probably hand him down this headset if I can find one that i like that wont cost me an arm and a leg, other than that small inconvenience the headset works great with my phone.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
johndyoung

I have only had my headset since August so I didn't realize it was an older one.

Now if someone knows why I am getting that e-mail at my home address, I will have my Blackberry working again.

The EVDO is great.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
zuf

Model: 8130

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
I have a Plantronics Voyager 510 headset and do not have this problem. The headset is only about a week old and my BlackBerry already had the upgraded software when I paired it with the headset. As soon as I dial a call, the headset connects to the call without my having to push the headset button.

I honestly don't know of anything special that I did to make this happen, though. It just worked.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
johndyoung

Thanks for the reply. That is the way my headset worked before I upgraded to the new version of the operating system.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
johndyoung

Gentlemen:

I have solved the problem of not being able to send e-mail from my BlackBerry and getting the e-mails at my home e-mail address. I will explain the problem in case anyone else suffers from the same problem.

I use my BlackBerry for e-mail with my company BES. My company computer is a notebook, and since I travel all the time, it is not connected to the company domain. I sync my BlackBerry for everything but e-mail with my home computer, for Address, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks. I have the BlackBerry Desktop manager installed on my home computer where I have a personal e-mail address, different from my company e-mail address that is used with the BES.

When I installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, one of the questions is are you going to use it with a BES. I answered yes, and the result of that answer is that the Redirector is installed as part of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. And having Redirector installed on my home computer was the problem. Redirector is designed to be installed on the same computer that works with the BES. It turns out that the e-mails I was receiving that I described above were being generated by Redirector.

So the solution was to uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager, reinstall it, but tell a little white lie, that I don't use it with the BES. When you install it that way, Redirector is not installed, and after wiping the Blackberry, reactivating it with the BES, and then syncing it with my home computer for calendar, address, memo, and task, everything works fine.

Part of my problem was that after I started experiencing the 3 problems listed above, I called Verizon. Their technical support person told me I had to have Redirector installed to use the BlackBerry with the BES, a wrong answer. The same person also told me that being able to search after pushing the phone key was taken out of the newer version of the software. Both answers were clearly wrong. It is sad that Verizon can't provide techinical support people who know the answers.

I am left with one small problem and that is that my bluetooth headset does not automacally connect when I make a call. I have to push the button on the headset after making the call. It used to automacally connect before the upgrade, and I still don't understand why it won't now.

Anyway, thanks for those of you who helped me get through these problems.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
KonTiki

Quote:
. . .

Thanks for your help.
When I originally saw this post I checked and agreed that I had had the same thing happen to me after the upgrade. It has been bugging me and finally today I decided to delete the HS-820 from the bluetooth, and then repaired it with the phone. After repairing it and all the functionalities were back the way they were working prior to the upgrade, I am now a happy camper all over again.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
johndyoung

This is crazy. I had uninstalled and reinstalled the headset a couple of times and it still didn't work correctly. After readying your post today, I once again deleted it from the BlackBerry, and reinstalled it. Now it works fine, just like before the upgrade. Thanks for your post.

I now have all three problems solved. It is interesting that Verizon could not help me with any of them, and two of the problems they told me could not be fixed because the new versions of the software had deleted those options. It is sad that Verizon can't give their customers the correct answers.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
hagen21

Model: Pearl

I am experiencing the third problem also. How do I delete the headset? When I go into option-bluetooth it does not give me the option to delete the device.

Update: Evidently you have to disable it before you can delete it. I did that and repaired but it still doesn't work like it use to. Its a jabra 250.

Last edited by hagen21; 02-07-2006 at 02:07 PM..
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
tobenning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen21
I am experiencing the third problem also. How do I delete the headset? When I go into option-bluetooth it does not give me the option to delete the device.

Update: Evidently you have to disable it before you can delete it. I did that and repaired but it still doesn't work like it use to. Its a jabra 250.
You need to turn Bluetooth on at the home screen, then you can delete the Bluetooth device from Options-Bluetooth.
Closed Thread