BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Telemekhos

Model: 8703e
Default BB 8703e & 7250 Speaker Issues Please Help!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I have had numerous 7250's and already 2 8703e's (VZW) and everyone still tells me that i sound like i am in a wind tunnel. I live in MI and we have excellent reception, 99% of the time in 1XEV mode. I can be sitting in a completely quiet room with full 1XEV signal and people still tell me that it sounds like im in a wind tunnel, or just that the reception is terrible. All the while, i can hear everyone perfectly. It seemed like the 7250 would start acting badly after i dropped it a few times and consiquently i would have to get a new one every 3 months or so. However, the 8703e started having problems right out of the box. It looks like the receiver on it is about the size of a pinhead, not sure if this is the cause. I can hear people completely fine, the quality is excellent, but multiple people on various carriers have all complained that I sound horrible. I immedately appropriated another 8703e from our corporate order and still nothing has changed. I was wondering if there is a certain setting that i am missing, or if anyone else has this same issue. Its so bad now that i get more texts than phone calls becuase of this horrible speaker issue. Also, when I use the speakerphone it seems to be much better, but this is not practical for most phone calls. I would love to get a solution for this as CS has been completely unhelpful (huge surprise).
Please advise.
-T-
Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Exclamation We all want to know...

Since this phenonema seems to affect your calls with numerous different devices (and models), it would help the rest of us to know some facts:

1. Does this problem affects you everywhere you use these devices? Or just one locale (your home, etc.)?

1-A. If it just affects one locale, have you contacted Verizon Wireless, requested that a trouble ticket be opened to rule out system problems? If so, what did you learn, if anything?

2. Have you checked with other Verizon Wireless users in the same area to see if they're experiencing the same issues? What model devices they're using?

3. Have you seen an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor lately to examine your vocal chords and nasal/sinus condition to rule out some kinda wind tunnel voice syndrome?

Remember, Wireless utilizes CDMA, which inherently has certain audio characteristics that are quite different than GSM audio characteristics. For example, CDMA devices typically employ a level of microphone noise cancelling that GSM devices do not, resulting in the the other party hearing little if any background noise, as opposed to GSM, which tends to pick up more ambient audio. If you're experiencing what you describe as a wind tunnel effect, it would seem to indicate an external issue (Any handsfree devices? Verizon system probems in the affected area(s)?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Telemekhos

1. The problem happens everywhere, including when i am out of town, and only happens on BB's i have used many RAZRs with little or no problems. I will be literally sitting in a noiseless room with full signal and the person im talking to will complain. It seems like everything will be fine and then all of the sudden it will change and people will complain that it sounds terrible (I DONT MEAN DROPPING SIGNAL, I MEAN SPEAKER QUALITY), it goes back and forth. Thats why i was wondering if there was some setting that i was missing.

2. We have a couple other people at the office with BB's and ive only talked to one of them who said that people also complain about the same issue. Everyone else has RAZRs and they have 0 issues

3. My voice is completely normal and has nothing to do with the issue, as i stated If i use ANY other phone there are no issues.

The other reason I know that its the BB speaker is if I use a handsfree earpiece, everything works perfectly. I can use a corded one or BT earpiece and the people on the other end instantly tell me that the call quality is far better. Without an earpiece, it seems like MY BB's pick up crazy ambient noises but not my voice for some reason. The person will know if i literally tap a finger on a table (to them it sounds extremely loud), but can barely hear me (I have a pretty loud voice). This is very odd. I will be walking on carpeting and the person will be able to hear me walking far louder than they will my own voice.

There are 0 system issues as everyone else i talk to (mostly without BB's) do not have any problems with their devices. In my area Verizon is by far the premier service and has no dead zones and great coverage.

Thanks,
-T-
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
tobenning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemekhos
Hi,
I have had numerous 7250's and already 2 8703e's (VZW) and everyone still tells me that i sound like i am in a wind tunnel. I live in MI and we have excellent reception, 99% of the time in 1XEV mode. I can be sitting in a completely quiet room with full 1XEV signal and people still tell me that it sounds like im in a wind tunnel, or just that the reception is terrible. All the while, i can hear everyone perfectly. It seemed like the 7250 would start acting badly after i dropped it a few times and consiquently i would have to get a new one every 3 months or so. However, the 8703e started having problems right out of the box. It looks like the receiver on it is about the size of a pinhead, not sure if this is the cause. I can hear people completely fine, the quality is excellent, but multiple people on various carriers have all complained that I sound horrible. I immedately appropriated another 8703e from our corporate order and still nothing has changed. I was wondering if there is a certain setting that i am missing, or if anyone else has this same issue. Its so bad now that i get more texts than phone calls becuase of this horrible speaker issue. Also, when I use the speakerphone it seems to be much better, but this is not practical for most phone calls. I would love to get a solution for this as CS has been completely unhelpful (huge surprise).
Please advise.
-T-
All I can think of is you are breathing across the voice pick up. My wife does the same thing and it sounds terrible. I ask her to get the phone away from her mouth and it sounds much better.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Telemekhos,
I'm stumped. I will humbly defer to those with greater technical troubleshooting expertise.

BTY, have you posted this issue on other forums (howardforums.com, wirelessadvisor.com, etc.) just to see if you can generate some responses from others who may be more attuned to the specifics of Verizon Wireless and their product line? Just a thought...

I can feel your pain, though, as my trusty old 7250 had an audio problem whenever I plugged in a wired earpiece. Callers said my mic audio sounded horrible. This problem seemed to develop after I installed the latest Blackberry device operating system in early 2006. I think that was coincidental, though, and that the devide had a short in the earpiece jack somewhere. But I digress...

I just got my 8303A on Tuesday and, so far, all is well...

Keep us posted if you discover a solution!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Telemekhos

As a final test I switched to the Q last week and my call quality issue has been completely remedied. Maybe the first stock of the units shipped to my area were bad, but who knows. I liked the way the BB handles messaging better than the Q does, but I also missed the camera and MMS stuff that the Q offers so im going to stick with the Q for now.
thanks,
-T-
Closed Thread