cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places
Default Need help with Mapquest 4 Mobile and "Network Error"

Please Login to Remove!

SSIA almost...

I have downloaded Mapquset 4 Mobile and when I try to use it I get a Nework Error message saying that I need an active data connecton. I have an active data connection, my apn is set as it should be, other apps (including AT&T Navigator, Windows Live Search, Co-Pilot) work as they should. I am on BES. I have deleted the app and re-installed it and I still get the error message. Any suggestions would be appreciated....

http://www.mapquest.com/mq4m

Last edited by cyberhound; 09-14-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

What about a simple battery pull reboot, retry?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
cyberhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
What about a simple battery pull reboot, retry?
Would a reset have a different effect than a battery pull? I have reset the device.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yes, often it does have a different effect, which is why RIM specifically recommends a battery removal for connectivity issues.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
cyberhound

Ok, I gave the battery pull a shot and no dice. It's no great loss if it doesn't work, but I would like to give the app shot and I hate it when I can't beat a software issue.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I don't know. Mapquest works great for many others.
Is there a configuration in your preferences for the application itself?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Bcaldwell85

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted

Your not the only one with that problem bro, I have a 8320 with tmobile, and get the same error. I was hopin I found an answer in this thread...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Bcaldwell85

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted

Your not the only one with that problem bro, I have a 8320 with tmobile, and get the same error. I was hopin I found an answer in this thread...
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
davidbeers

Carrier: Sprint

Cyberhound and Bcaldwell85:

I'm one of the developers of MapQuest 4 Mobile. JSanders' recommendation about pulling the battery for a moment is often the best way to resurrect the network connection on a BlackBerry with connectivity trouble. It sounds from your comments that that hasn't done the trick in this case (i.e. I presume you have tried other downloaded apps that use the network and not had this trouble). Next step is to visit Settings -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications, select MapQuestMobile_BB8830 (or the like) and select Edit Permissions. Expand the Connections permissions. The setting for Carrier Internet should be set for either "Prompt" or "Allow." If not, I recommend "Allow."

Now, I have seen situations where a permission in this dialog said "Prompt" but the device behaved exactly as if it was set for "Deny". In that case I had to toggle the permission to "Deny," allow the reboot that the device asks for, go back into application permissions and set it back to "Prompt" or "Allow" to shake the problem loose. Admittedly, I've not seen a BlackBerry "lie" this way about network permissions (only with GPS permissions) but even within the same model and carrier different BlackBerries often have slightly different firmware, so it might be worth a try if you continue to see this problem.

If you've done all that (or as much as you're willing to try!) and still aren't having any joy, can you tell me whether the Network Error screen comes up more or less immediately when you launch the application, or does it display only after about 30 seconds? When you first downloaded and launched the application, were you prompted with a system dialog to allow the application to access the network, or did the screen go to the Network Failure message without such a prompt?

Thanks for giving our app a try and helping us determine if there's anything we need to do to address the problem you experienced.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
davidbeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcaldwell85 View Post
I should also mention: the answer on the 8320 is: sit tight! The first release of MapQuest 4 Mobile doesn't support the TMobile BlackBerries, but we will be rolling out to many additional devices and carriers soon.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
cyberhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeers View Post
Cyberhound and Bcaldwell85:

I'm one of the developers of MapQuest 4 Mobile. JSanders' recommendation about pulling the battery for a moment is often the best way to resurrect the network connection on a BlackBerry with connectivity trouble. It sounds from your comments that that hasn't done the trick in this case (i.e. I presume you have tried other downloaded apps that use the network and not had this trouble). Next step is to visit Settings -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications, select MapQuestMobile_BB8830 (or the like) and select Edit Permissions. Expand the Connections permissions. The setting for Carrier Internet should be set for either "Prompt" or "Allow." If not, I recommend "Allow."

Now, I have seen situations where a permission in this dialog said "Prompt" but the device behaved exactly as if it was set for "Deny". In that case I had to toggle the permission to "Deny," allow the reboot that the device asks for, go back into application permissions and set it back to "Prompt" or "Allow" to shake the problem loose. Admittedly, I've not seen a BlackBerry "lie" this way about network permissions (only with GPS permissions) but even within the same model and carrier different BlackBerries often have slightly different firmware, so it might be worth a try if you continue to see this problem.

If you've done all that (or as much as you're willing to try!) and still aren't having any joy, can you tell me whether the Network Error screen comes up more or less immediately when you launch the application, or does it display only after about 30 seconds? When you first downloaded and launched the application, were you prompted with a system dialog to allow the application to access the network, or did the screen go to the Network Failure message without such a prompt?

Thanks for giving our app a try and helping us determine if there's anything we need to do to address the problem you experienced.
Ok, I don't mind helping out. I gave your suggestions a try and still have the same result. When I click on the Mapquest icon, the app begins with the opening screen which says "Loading..." and that can last 1 to 5 seconds, and then it goes to a Network Error screen which says:

"The application was unable to connect to the network in a reasonable amount of time. Mapquest 4 Mobile Beta requires an active data connection to operate.

Please check your network settings.
Click retry or exit."

There was no prompt for allowing the app network access on install.

Last edited by cyberhound; 09-15-2008 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
davidbeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhound View Post
Ok, I don't mind helping out. I gave your suggestions a try and still have the same result. When I click on the Mapquest icon, the app begins with the opening screen which says "Loading..." and that can last 1 to 5 seconds, and then it goes to a Network Error screen which says:

"The application was unable to connect to the network in a reasonable amount of time. Mapquest 4 Mobile Beta requires an active data connection to operate.

Please check your network settings.
Click retry or exit."

There was no prompt for allowing the app network access on install.
Thanks for your report, cyberhound. We're in beta and that sounds like something we'll want to look into.

For anyone else following this thread, here's the email for sending direct reports and comments to MapQuest, which will ensure the best response: mq4m@mapquest.com.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Phrozen Horse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Proximus, BE

Tried it on my 8800 and I always get a how's your connection message when trying to retrieve data.
It displays 'finding location for approx. 1min' without transferring data before timing out.

I'm on BES with all permissions set to either allow or prompt(BES restriction)
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Dave Balsillie

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

I had this exact problem on my 8330. Setting the permission to Deny, then save/restart, then Prompt fixed it right up.
Closed Thread