j/k
Old 11-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #42
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Whew.. Glad I scrolled down and saw the j/k

I wanna know why jibi gets macked on in pm's and I get called a pig.... boohoo... not fair....

I am still waiting on that forward though

LOL
Old 11-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #43
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

SF, let me chime in too, so very sorry to see you go. like has been said so many times now, you've been a huge help many times. your pictures and how to's are great. personally, I've always looked forward to your posts and enjoyed that you included some semi-personal info at times that seemed perfectly appropriate to me, it made the board seem a little less technical. maybe even a little chummy? please do come back when you can. I will miss you.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #44
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
enjoyed that you included some semi-personal info at times that seemed perfectly appropriate to me, it made the board seem a little less technical. maybe even a little chummy?
I agree. These kind of narratives can sometimes make for personality and personalization in a format that tends to be rather bland and anonymous. You'll notice in almost any of my posts, especially the ones in the Off-Topic forum, I tend to become very personal about things, from asking questions or sharing details on my own life and experiences. I think it's very important to encourage growth here in cyber-land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmccartin
please do come back when you can. I will miss you.
I think this is what this whole thing really boils down to. SF provided a lot of knowledge and will be missed, although the door is never closed.

Last edited by jibi; 11-19-2006 at 04:11 PM..
Old 11-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #45
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Whew.. Glad I scrolled down and saw the j/k

I wanna know why jibi gets macked on in pm's and I get called a pig.... boohoo... not fair....

I am still waiting on that forward though

LOL
I actually met my last ex-girlfriend on here... lol
Old 11-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #46
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Well, I have been lurking in the background to see if there is any new info on the Pearl, since that is the main reason I joined BB Forums. I also visited this thread and read with interest some of the additional posts. Guess I'll explain a few things.

First of all, as to my posting style, being personal and detailed, that comes from two things that I do in life, try cases and teach college students.

In trying cases, I have to pay attention to the rules of evidence while being able to argue to a jury why they should find in my favor. The trial process requires I get the evidence in [meaning getting it "approved" by the Judge] and to put things in a way that the jury can understand. The jury also has to like everyone involved, including me, to find in our favor.

Teaching boring law subjects requires that I be creative and interesting so that 1) the students learn; and 2) the students stay awake and interested.

Some methods I use to keep everyone awake, to understand abstract concepts and remain interested are to "get personal" by telling stories, providing real life examples, and to inject some humor into the presentation. Use of these techniques requires getting a feel for the audience and mastering one's sense of timing. [Jay Leno, David Letterman and other late night hosts will attest to this].

On these Forums [or anywhere on the Net] I cannot abandon that which has been used in court and the classroom. For example, when there was that 8100 thread started by Member "Kxxx" about the upcoming T-Mo update, I could have simply said "I'm going to wait and see what others report before I install it, if I do at all." In fact, according to Kxxx's condescending and rude response, that is what he said I should have said.

But from training and experience [and rote] I explained why I was not going to immediately install the update, as Krad was suggesting everyone should do. In my post I shared my knowledge from what I have read over the years, that people should not install Windows updates immediately on release, etc. I also explained that I was not planning on installing Windows Vista when it comes out.

I think detailed posts that lay a foundation for a position, suggestion or statement is far better than making flippant, rude, insulting, crude or harsh remarks like those made by some Members in response to some of my posts.

As to my disclosure of personal information in my posts, I don't see where that is weird or irresponsible. Besides, I think that hiding behind the Net is part of the problem with these forums.

For example, I find it interesting that all the rude, crude, and insulting comments/posts on these Forums come from Members who don't have any personal information in their profiles. These Members obviously would not be so reckless if they were not assured of complete anonymity when acting like trailer trash SFB's.

Moreover, sometimes the best way to respond to a complaint or expression of grief/depression is to cite personal examples of similar events, either to commiserate with the Member or otherwise help the Member deal with their own tragedy/problem.

For example, when that one Member posted that his "dog ate his Pearl" another Member responded that he should kill the dog [hopefully joking, but a joke in bad taste]. I recounted how my cat destroyed a valuable chair. Why did I say that? So to remind the Member that we still love our pets despite the damage they cause.

All Member Kxxx could do in response to this post was comment how he does not read my posts, how he is sick of hearing my personal stories and opine that I "must be old." I don't know why my post should have bothered him since the Member's thread was simply "ranting" that his dog chewed up his Pearl. I'm not sure what kind of post Kxxx would have considered staying on topic in that kind of thread.

Well that's all. If you have read this far, hats off to you. I did not really expect you to read all this. I was more explaining myself to myself.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-20-2006 at 11:02 AM..
Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #47
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Well, I have been lurking in the background to see if there is any new info on the Pearl, since that is the main reason I joined BB Forums. I also visited this thread and read with interest some of the additional posts. Guess I'll explain a few things.

First of all, as to my posting style, being personal and detailed, that comes from two things that I do in life, try cases and teach college students.

In trying cases, I have to pay attention to the rules of evidence while being able to argue to a jury why they should find in my favor. The trial process requires I get the evidence in [meaning getting it "approved" by the Judge] and to put things in a way that the jury can understand. The jury also has to like everyone involved, including me, to find in our favor.

Teaching boring law subjects requires that I be creative and interesting so that 1) the students learn; and 2) the students stay awake and interested.

Some methods I use to keep everyone awake, to understand abstract concepts and remain interested are to "get personal" by telling stories, providing real life examples, and to inject some humor into the presentation. Use of these techniques requires getting a feel for the audience and mastering one's sense of timing. [Jay Leno, David Letterman and other late night hosts will attest to this].

On these Forums [or anywhere on the Net] I cannot abandon that which has been used in court and the classroom. For example, when there was that 8100 thread started by Member "Krad" about the upcoming T-Mo update, I could have simply said "I'm going to wait and see what others report before I install it, if I do at all." In fact, according to Krad's condescending and rude response, that is what he said I should have said.

But from training and experience [and rote] I explained why I was not going to immediately install the update, as Krad was suggesting everyone should do. In my post I shared my knowledge from what I have read over the years, that people should not install Windows updates immediately on release, etc. I also explained that I was not planning on installing Windows Vista when it comes out.

I think detailed posts that lay a foundation for a position, suggestion or statement is far better than making flippant, rude, insulting, crude or harsh remarks like those made by some Members in response to some of my posts.

As to my disclosure of personal information in my posts, I don't see where that is weird or irresponsible. Besides, I think that hiding behind the Net is part of the problem with these forums.

For example, I find it interesting that all the rude, crude, and insulting comments/posts on these Forums come from Members who don't have any personal information in their profiles. These Members obviously would not be so reckless if they were not assured of complete anonymity when acting like trailer trash SFB's.

Moreover, sometimes the best way to respond to a complaint or expression of grief/depression is to cite personal examples of similar events, either to commiserate with the Member or otherwise help the Member deal with their own tragedy/problem.

For example, when that one Member posted that his "dog ate his Pearl" another Member responded that he should kill the dog [hopefully joking, but a joke in bad taste]. I recounted how my cat destroyed a valuable chair. Why did I say that? So to remind the Member that we still love our pets despite the damage they cause.

All Member Krad could do in response to this post was comment how he does not read my posts, how he is sick of hearing my personal stories and opine that I "must be old." I don't know why my post should have bothered him since the Member's thread was simply "ranting" that his dog chewed up his Pearl. I'm not sure what kind of post Krad would have considered staying on topic in that kind of thread.

Well that's all. If you have read this far, hats off to you. I did not really expect you to read all this. I was more explaining myself to myself.

In a round about way I understand krads response what does your cat and a chair have to do with a bb? However posting that you are leaving in two different locations I think is a cry for attention. Seems to me I had a long running battle with an attorney on here and he posted similar stuff. Must be in the genes
Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #48
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
In a round about way I understand krads response what does your cat and a chair have to do with a bb? However posting that you are leaving in two different locations I think is a cry for attention. Seems to me I had a long running battle with an attorney on here and he posted similar stuff. Must be in the genes
Like I said, there is no perfect way to handle things. I only "double posted" because I was exclusively involved in the 8100 section, so that is where I posted. I also thought it belonged in Rants, so I put it in there. Was nothing more than a mechanical thing. I can assure you, history shows the last thing I want or need is attention in BB Forums.

And IMHO Forums can go anywhere. If threads were judged and moved on whether or not the posts have anything to do with a BB, then take a look at the current subjects. There would have to be a lot of moving, editing and trimming of the posts. For example, by your and Kxxx's standards, what does posting self portraits have to do with the BB? I think it's cool, but some people could pose the question.

My post was in a thread about a dog chewing the member's phone. Pet's damaging property was the subject [I had also mentioned in the same post how the same cat had flung my Pearl across the room, but it landed on carpet]. And I had mentioned to the member that the reason for my talking about it was that I understood his pain. Truth is, too, most people like talking about their pets and hearing stories about others.

But like I said, there a many ways to interpret proper or reasonable conduct on the Net. I know people who would have called for that one member's head for saying "kill the dog." But no one commented except me when I said "I hope you are joking."

All this "stuff" must be a lawyer thing? You are probably right inasmuch as truth, honesty, argument, debate, logic, and common sense are tools of the trade for zealous and competent lawyers. In fact, the good lawyers "think like a lawyer" 24/7. If your lawyer is a nine-to-fiver and would not, for example, e-mail you at 12 midnight, then sheetcan him or her immediately.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-20-2006 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #49
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Like I said, there is no perfect way to handle things. I only "double posted" because I was exclusively involved in the 8100 section, so that is where I posted. I also thought it belonged in Rants, so I put it in there. Was nothing more than a mechanical thing. I can assure you, history shows the last thing I want or need is attention in BB Forums.

And IMHO Forums can go anywhere. If threads were judged and moved on whether or not the posts have anything to do with a BB, then take a look at the current subjects. There would have to be a lot of moving, editing and trimming of the posts. For example, by your and Kxxx's standards, what does posting self portraits have to do with the BB? I think it's cool, but some people could pose the question.

My post was in a thread about a dog chewing the member's phone. Pet's damaging property was the subject [I had also mentioned in the same post how the same cat had flung my Pearl across the room, but it landed on carpet]. And I had mentioned to the member that the reason for my talking about it was that I understood his pain. Truth is, too, most people like talking about their pets and hearing stories about others.

But like I said, there a many ways to interpret proper or reasonable conduct on the Net. I know people who would have called for that one member's head for saying "kill the dog." But no one commented except me when I said "I hope you are joking."

All this "stuff" must be a lawyer thing? You are probably right inasmuch as truth, honesty, argument, debate, logic, and common sense are tools of the trade for zealous and competent lawyers. In fact, the good lawyers "think like a lawyer" 24/7. If your lawyer is a nine-to-fiver and would not, for example, e-mail you at 12 midnight, then sheetcan him or her immediately.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
anytime
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #50
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

SF...

One thing to remember is that you are dealing with the internet. It is easy to be fake, hard core, mean-spirited, and an a$$ on the internet.. Typed words have little to no emotion or feeling..

You have to understand what you are dealing with... On top of the ones who are fake, rude, or insulting, you get to add trolls to the mix... Thick skin is a must on the internet and even more so on public message boards and or chat rooms...

Ignore the trolls and the people having a bad day, ignore the mean-spirited folks and most of all, ignore the ones who will try to incite you

That is all.....
Old 11-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #51
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Tmobile

When i dont like the tone of the posts i just go to another thread or leave the forum for a few weeks. I'm always on these forums but I only ocassionally post. You get what you put in. It's like any relationship the more of yourself you put or the more you emotionally invest the more hurt you'll feel when insulted or rejected. Take any internet forum for what it is...strangers sharing information.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #52
srl7741

Model: Bold
Default ok

SF? you know how i feel.

I think this thread is complete or very close.

For everyone else who ventures in look below and "Mill About Smartly"

ss:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	happyfaces2jq.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	6004  
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #53
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I wanna be a genius..... boohooo... I just a CrackBerry Addict....

J/k
Old 11-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #54
jibi
BlackBerry God

*closing thread*