BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
goosequeen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile
Default Don't do business with T-Mobile - very dissapointing (BB 7290)

Please Login to Remove!

I have to share with you my story:
I called up T-Mobile and purchased a BB 7290 with 29 per month plan that includes unlimited internet. On their website it says no text messages included, but instant messenger is. Nowhere does it say IM's are extra, only that you get 300 text messages free per month in fine print where main site says none are included. They clearly distinguish the two and make them seem like separate items.

Salesperson Jeff gives acknowledges the web error and says that he will grant me Unlimited Instant Messages with my BB 7290 for the 29 per month. He said the website is misleading and they have to change it and because of the error, T-mobile will honor my request. I was happy and purchased the plan.

It turns out I WAS getting charged for my IMs that went over the 300 limit. I spent hours on phone explaining my story to T-mobile, sales, customer service and finally client relations. Nobody at T-mobile gave a damn. I wrote letters to the Customer relations department, they responded via email and stated I musunderstood the plans. When Denise, finally called after two days of letters and calls, I explained to her my experience with Jeff and being misled by website, but she didnt care and would not give me the unlimited IM for the duration of my contract (1 year would have totalled - only 180 bucks). The resolution was to purchase the unlimited plant at 59 dollars per month or cancel my plan, so that is what I did.

Do I have a case here and should I pursue this? Why dont they honor my request? Shouldnt they acknowledge and act upon the fact that the website is misleading and salesman agreed and that T-Mobile would have to honor the unlimited IM plan???

I am soo disappointed, I have been a T-mobile customer for over a year now. Even though, I just returned the 7290, I still have a T-mobile Sidekick 2 and have always been happy with that phone and their customer service up until now.

I look forward to your advice?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Yea.. you should fight it. The web error wasn't your fault it was theirs. And your right it can be misleading. But if i were you.. you shouldn't have use OZ (IM software provided by tmobile) because it uses sms not data. IM+ uses data, and verichat.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
war_eaglegrl28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got the same plan, I got unlimited data and no where did it say I would be charged for IMs. I am so glad I checked My T-Mobile THAT night or I would have been in really big trouble, 10 cents an IM and I had over 5,000. I caught it when I had 297 IMs and text messages. I got the add-on for $14 extra a month for unlmited text and picture. My bill is $54 a month, a lot better than paying for each IM or text.....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
goosequeen

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

thanks folks, for your replies.

I tried the IM, and I didnt like it, it didnt seem to work right. So I download the Ramble IM, this worked great....So you think this uses data too and NOT SMS and I will not be charged? iF that is the case then that is fine!!!

Thanks soooo much
Old 10-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Ramble uses data.

Please try a Search
Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Yep, should have read the FAQ. TMO IM uses SMS but Ramble uses data.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

One thing that is good is if you're on a family plan with t-mo, you can get unlimited messages for ALL lines for one price. A while back it was $9.99 (a steal compared to the competition), and I think the price has since gone up to $19.99 for unlimited (still not bad).

Let's face it -- we live in a world of shavers and razor blades. Many companies sell the shavers at little or no profit, making their money instead on the expensive monthly blades that you have to purchase to get any use out of that razor.

All of the mobile companies are guilty of making their money through add-ons.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Roughtrader

Model: 7130e

I can't wait untill one of the real carriers buy T-Moble out
Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #9
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100
Default Voice of Dissent

My experience with T-Mobile has been nothing but excellent. I have stuck with them for years because of their excellent customer service. Of course the front end support people who answer the phone aren't always the ones you want to deal with. If you get a trainer, try to get transferred or escalated.

As far as IM/SMS go, there is documentation on their web site that says IMs are charged as SMS. It racks up quickly. It's also a commonly discussed topic here on this forum.

Google Talk is available as an app on the BBs and it uses the data service instead of SMS.

If you're having a hard time getting the charges addressed, you need to escalate your case. Often the first person who answers won't have the authority to credit your account like this. Ask to speak to a manager or "Tier 2" customer service. Being polite will work wonders.

Good luck.

Last edited by theBorg; 10-11-2006 at 12:45 AM..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg
My experience with T-Mobile has been nothing but excellent. I have stuck with them for years because of their excellent customer service. Of course the front end support people who answer the phone aren't always the ones you want to deal with. If you get a trainer, try to get transferred or escalated.

As far as IM/SMS go, there is documentation on their web site that says IMs are charged as SMS. It racks up quickly. It's also a commonly discussed topic here on this forum.

Google Talk is available as an app on the BBs and it uses the data service instead of SMS.

If you're having a hard time getting the charges addressed, you need to escalate your case. Often the first person who answers won't have the authority to credit your account like this. Ask to speak to a manager or "Tier 2" customer service. Being polite will work wonders.

Good luck.
I agree with theBorg. My experience with T-Mobile CSRs has been flawless, even when I've had problems. And I could not agree more with tB's recommendation on how to interact with reps.

Can I ask a question though? How many months had this been happening?

Also, I suspect what you were asking them for (true unlimited IM using their SMS-based service) was not a viable solution.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
marrngtn

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have 5 phones on my TMO Account. I've been with Bell Atlantic, AT&T and Verizon. TMO Has had the best customer service yet. I wish they would allow me to add 5 more so that I could get the rest of my family on the same account sharing minutes. The family that is sharing now saves about 150.00 a month and we never come close to the minutes. We have two regular Samsung handsets and 3 BBs. Might open a second account and put regular handsets together and BBs together.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
fizz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

To me Sprint has the best customer service (immediate tech support may not be the best, but once you get to someone that knows what they're talking about it helps). I'm able to add lines to my account at $10 a pop and can have up to 10.
Closed Thread