Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #201
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: why blackberry users will bail on RIM

Please Login to Remove!

I guess you have never used Swype. You can type fast on Swype, faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #202
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Sorry, you must have got a dud. Mine has been absolutely perfect. Of course I did my research before I bought the phone and bought an extended battery. I use it all day and when I get home from work I still have 75% battery left. So far everything about my ThunderBolt kills anything my Storm and Bold were capable of doing.

It would be different if ALL I needed was instantaneous email and nothing else I would have Blackberry, but I don't. My email client updates every 5 minutes and that's fine for most people especially when you're not required to pull the battery twice a day. My phone never crashes or freezes up or tells me my memory is low and I need to reboot. The apps are better, faster, and the MarketPlace is 10x faster than navigating App World.

Regardless of which Android you purchase there is a reason it now accounts for 33% of OSs installed on smartphones. Just a matter of time before someone cashes in on a viable enterprise solution to take full advantage of them.
Robert,

I'm also a long time BB user that just purchased a Thunderbolt. I'm in heaven. It kills me when people keep using the line that the BB is a "business device". ALL I use my phone for is business and the Thunderbolt is more of a business device than any BB can dream of, for *me* (not saying for everyone). I actually didn't realize until I got my hands on this thunderbolt just how much my productivity was being impacted by my BB. A lot of us actually need good internet access as part of our business, not just email.

IMO if BB doesn't catch up soon they will be like Palm in a couple of years.

You are also spot on, everything I cared about that I originally HAD to have my BB for is now easy to do with other phones. Multiple email accounts, multiple exchange accounts, and with MS active sync on an exchange account the user doesn't really know the difference versus BES.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #203
Dohzen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

nahh way
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #204
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes way :p. In fact I've now got something I always wanted on my BB which is categories for calendar events, full meeting request and multiple recipients (if those were possible with BES I didn't have it). I'm also managing 2 Exchange accounts with stay in perfect sync. I even kept my BB service connected so i could make sure i wanted to switch, and I can tell you that on average emails arrive on both within a seconds of one another.

It is taking me some getting used to the touchscreen keyboard, no doubt about that, but with Swype I can now type at about the same speed or faster as my BB. Without Swype I would be in trouble, though one of my workers can out type me on an iPhone so I think it's all about practice.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #205
RitualJman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
PIN: Ask For It
Carrier: Fido

I agree that blackberry's were made for the professional worker, but they are also really reliable for the average Joe that is looking for a good phone that can do it all. You won't be seeing RIM going away any time soon. I do agree with the fact that RIM's prices are a steep for there phones but like the saying goes "if you want it bad enough, you are willing to pay the price". You can get a blackberry for cheap when you sign up on a new contract or upgrade depending on what your service provider is offering in that sense.

RitualJman
Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #206
brandonaybar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9330
Carrier: tmobile

All good points, but only time will tell.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #207
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Investors Sour on BlackBerry - WSJ.com

Quote:
Research In Motion Ltd., the BlackBerry maker that revolutionized the way workers communicate but has struggled to find a second act, saw investors abandon the company in droves Friday amid fresh concerns about its future.

Shares in RIM plunged 21% to their lowest level in five years as investors questioned whether its executives can pull the company out of its slump. RIM, which was worth more than $80 billion three years ago, ended the day worth less than $15 billion.

Demand for BlackBerry phones has fallen as RIM has been slow to match innovations in Apple Inc.'s iPhone and devices powered by Google Inc.'s Android software. The company, as it fumbles to launch new models, has seen its share of the North American smartphone market shrink to 17% from 50% in 2009.

"I do believe that the game as far as [RIM is concerned] is up,'' said Stephen Jarislowsky, chief executive of Canadian money manager Jarislowksy Fraser Ltd., who was one of RIM's biggest shareholders until the firm recently dumped the bulk of its stake. At March 31, the firm was listed as RIM's fourth-largest shareholder with 10.2 million shares, according to FactSet Research.

Some of RIM's biggest believers on Wall Street threw in the towel Friday, with brokerage firms that had long championed the stock pulling their recommendations.

The duo admitted on a call Thursday the company has had difficulties. They said the next generation of smartphones, starting in late August, will make the BlackBerry a contender again.

Still, for several years, RIM has been the target of speculation it could be an acquisition candidate for the likes of Microsoft Corp., Cisco Systems Inc. or Oracle Corp. Analysts and bankers reason that RIM, whose BlackBerrys are popular with business customers, could appeal to these tech behemoths because they already supply hardware, software and IT services to corporations.
The new phones mentioned in August need to be radically improved.

Last edited by David Haddad; 06-17-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #208
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post
Investors Sour on BlackBerry - WSJ.com

The new phones mentioned in August need to be radically improved.
A....

Last edited by smoothadmin; 06-18-2011 at 06:20 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #209
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

The main thing keeping me with BB is the unlimited international data plan I have from ATT (grandfathered). If ATT follows Verizon and eliminates my plan, I may well change platforms. I'm not signing a new contract until the 9900 has been out for a few weeks, and ATT can change the rules on me anytime.

My workplace moved my email account to gmail, which saved me the cost of my BES plan. Even with my old 9000, gmail/gcal sync perfectly OTA with BIS (mail) and google sync (cal).

I'll miss the battery life of the BB if I switch

Last edited by dulcamara; 06-20-2011 at 05:09 AM..
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #210
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

For those who want to switch to the iphone/ipad. This is how you should connect your device back to your network.
You first need a Cisco ASA 55xx series firewall/vpn appliance.
Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

Then get the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

Support for Android is coming soon.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #211
BigA

RIM is black-burying carriers with half-baked BlackBerrys
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #212
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

How many places are you going to post this?

I am truly amazed at how much time RIM haters spend on these BB boards just to take pot shots, point out the mistakes made by RIM (and there have been many) and generally revel in what they perceive as the demise of BB.

If this is what makes your day then I feel very sad for you......
Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #213
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
I counted 5.

Wait, was that a rhetorical question?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #214
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I counted 5.

Wait, was that a rhetorical question?
I lost count. Probably due to a bad application or faulty programming.....
Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #215
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Maybe you need an OS upgrade.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #216
JBlue

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I guess you have never used Swype. You can type fast on Swype, faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
It doesn't mean it is the solution if it is not widely adopted. Who knows but at this point don't seem to be. Just look at PALM, they had their own method of writing, amazing if you learn it but it was not widely used.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #217
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
It doesn't mean it is the solution if it is not widely adopted. Who knows but at this point don't seem to be. Just look at PALM, they had their own method of writing, amazing if you learn it but it was not widely used.
That statement was in regards to the previous statements about not being able to type as fast on a virtual keyboard as you can on a physical keyboard. With Swype, you can. That was the point of the comment. Is Swype for everyone? No. Also, I am sure the more you use a virtual keyboard, the better you will get at it and probably type just as fast as you do on a physical one. A lot of Android phones come with Swype preloaded these days. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it is an alternative which is always nice to have.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #218
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
That statement was in regards to the previous statements about not being able to type as fast on a virtual keyboard as you can on a physical keyboard. With Swype, you can. That was the point of the comment. Is Swype for everyone? No. Also, I am sure the more you use a virtual keyboard, the better you will get at it and probably type just as fast as you do on a physical one. A lot of Android phones come with Swype preloaded these days. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it is an alternative which is always nice to have.
I personally don't care for Swype, however, I have found that other manufacturers keyboards are severely lacking. I type fairly fast on virtual keyboards now, and the stock one my SonyEricsson Xperia Arc that I use with all other SIM cards besides my US one does not have multi-touch which meant letters were missed if I typed fast. I loaded the one from the stock Gingerbread load, and now all is right with the world.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #219
BigA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post

I am truly amazed at how much time RIM haters spend on these BB boards just to take pot shots, point out the mistakes made by RIM (and there have been many) and generally revel in what they perceive as the demise of BB.

If this is what makes your day then I feel very sad for you......
Yes. It makes very very very happy and it also makes my week / month / year. Because it proves that RIM does NOT care about its users or carrier partners. You have got to be kidding me! REALLY!!!!

But go ahead and continue to blindly defend this company.

This is RIM's former user base venting on their crappy hardware, software and platform.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #220
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Here we see BigA in the basement of his parents' house helping to free lost souls
from the embarrassment of using BlackBerry products. He doesn't get out much.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Closed Thread