BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #41
cbotd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

Please Login to Remove!

null connection means you're not getting any TCP service at all.

Can you browse the net and send and receive e-mails?

Are you on BES/MDS or not?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #42
MTurley

Model: 7290

Hi there

There is no RAMBLE IM in my option, I am using Blackberry 7290 on TMOBILE UK network. Please advise?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #43
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Look for SRA Ramble...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #44
avery.bunker
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain
i have alltel with a 7250 bb. anyone get it woring on there, i get bad dns address.
Alltel does not support WAP at this time. We are looking into the possibility on enabling it. We are working with the developers to help rewrite the programs to work without using WAP such as dynoplex which works fine on our Blackberries now. We are trying to solve this issue and we are currently looking into enabling this protocol. I will not gurantee that and if you purchased this software through Handago they will refund your money on these applications. Also we are partenered with handago on offering software that does work with our blackberry devices and that store should be coming soon.

Thank you
Avery Bunker
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #45
Rambler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery.bunker
Alltel does not support WAP at this time. We are looking into the possibility on enabling it. We are working with the developers to help rewrite the programs to work without using WAP such as dynoplex which works fine on our Blackberries now. We are trying to solve this issue and we are currently looking into enabling this protocol. I will not gurantee that and if you purchased this software through Handago they will refund your money on these applications. Also we are partenered with handago on offering software that does work with our blackberry devices and that store should be coming soon.

Thank you
Avery Bunker

Ramble doesn't use WAP, it uses a TCP connection. Ask Alltel if support TCP network applications.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #46
Drewbydo

Model: 7290

yes i can browse the net and send emails and receive them but i dont know if im on bes/mds or not how do i figure it out. sorry this is my first data phone ive never really used these before
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #47
SoFlaChris

Model: 7100g

It's just not happening for me with the BES & firewall. I can connect but like "jetspeed" I get:

get this:

"The application Ramble has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy"

Then I click "OK" and I get this message:

"Invalid Connection String: Permission denied"
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #48
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaChris
It's just not happening for me with the BES & firewall. I can connect but like "jetspeed" I get:

get this:

"The application Ramble has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy"

Then I click "OK" and I get this message:

"Invalid Connection String: Permission denied"

Still no luck to this day i have tried different setting and even moved over to a diff BES 4.0 server and still error on both bes servers... just aint happening
Old 08-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #49
sergeyd

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

"Inside/outside" error is cause by so called "split-pipe" IT policy restriction. What it means is that the same application cannot open a connection through the BES/MDS to the intranet and through TCP/WAP - to the internet. This is a potential security breach as a malicious app can then copy data from within the company to the outside. This is why the IT policy exists and is set by default on all BES'es.

For the developer this means that there are special options that need to be specified for each type of connection and if you mess it up - you get this error. Most likely this is a bug in the program or may be you first tried to connect via WAP and then switched to MDS.

The only way you can get rid of this warning is to complete reinstall the OS. Use AppLoader for that: back up the device, wipe the OS and load it from scratch. The make sure you use the correct setting.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #50
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyd
"Inside/outside" error is cause by so called "split-pipe" IT policy restriction. What it means is that the same application cannot open a connection through the BES/MDS to the intranet and through TCP/WAP - to the internet. This is a potential security breach as a malicious app can then copy data from within the company to the outside. This is why the IT policy exists and is set by default on all BES'es.

For the developer this means that there are special options that need to be specified for each type of connection and if you mess it up - you get this error. Most likely this is a bug in the program or may be you first tried to connect via WAP and then switched to MDS.

The only way you can get rid of this warning is to complete reinstall the OS. Use AppLoader for that: back up the device, wipe the OS and load it from scratch. The make sure you use the correct setting.

So if im not mistaking your saying that if the handheld is whiped clean Options-->Security :whipe handheld and you reload the OS from the desktop manager this will remove the IT policy error...

How is this possible if we still have to go through enterprise activation doesnt the BES policies still load on the BB so its starting from scratch again???

im no expert here but i have tried every possible solution even moving from 2 different 4.0 bes servers and even trying this app on a user on Bes 3.6 and no luck and then moved him to 4.0 after a hard reset and enterprise activation and still no luck with his BB either...

If anything i think this is a software issue related to Rumble and its configurations...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #51
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Angry

Quote:

Ok i did exactly as you said and still no luck.. i even tried another users BB fresh and same exact thing IT policy error.. and when i use mds it just tries to connect to toc.oscar throught diff address no luck...

this has to be a developer issue b/c there is no way i can get it working on the BB end here...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #52
sergeyd

Carrier: tmobile

The policy is invoiked only if the app has done the connection both ways after the reload. Seem there is an issue with this app and the config you have.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #53
Rambler

Quote:
The policy is invoiked only if the app has done the connection both ways after the reload. Seem there is an issue with this app and the config you have.
The application (or BlackBerry) gives you just enough rope to hang yourself by in this scenario.

There are three settings for the Network Connection:

Device TCP: Originate the network connection on the device and go over public networks
MDS: Originate the network connection from the MDS server
Device Default: Whatever the carrier deemed the most appropriate setting to be. This is the default Ramble setting.

If you try any combination of Device TCP and MDS, you will get the split pipe error, even if the first connection fails. Here is one scenario:

Initial Setting is Device Default which is Device TCP in this example. You try connecting, it fails.

You change the setting to Read Device TCP, you try connecting, and it fails.

Now you set it to MDS, it fails to connect, and gives you the Split Pipe error because the application has now tried to open a connection inside the firewall, and at one point, it tried opening a connection outside the firewall. This is not allowed by BlackBerry.

Does this help explain how you might be getting a split pipe error on a 'fresh blackberry'?

If not, try having the administrator temporarily disable the 'Split Pipe' security in the IT Policy. This is not a long term solution, but it should get you past the problem.

If you're dealing with an administrator though, I suspect you should clean the device, set the Network Connection to MDS, and leave it there. Please let me know how it goes. If there is a problem that others have not run into, I'd like to resolve it.

Thanks for trying to use Ramble!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:45 AM   #54
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
The application (or BlackBerry) gives you just enough rope to hang yourself by in this scenario.

There are three settings for the Network Connection:

Device TCP: Originate the network connection on the device and go over public networks
MDS: Originate the network connection from the MDS server
Device Default: Whatever the carrier deemed the most appropriate setting to be. This is the default Ramble setting.

If you try any combination of Device TCP and MDS, you will get the split pipe error, even if the first connection fails. Here is one scenario:

Initial Setting is Device Default which is Device TCP in this example. You try connecting, it fails.

You change the setting to Read Device TCP, you try connecting, and it fails.

Now you set it to MDS, it fails to connect, and gives you the Split Pipe error because the application has now tried to open a connection inside the firewall, and at one point, it tried opening a connection outside the firewall. This is not allowed by BlackBerry.

Does this help explain how you might be getting a split pipe error on a 'fresh blackberry'?

If not, try having the administrator temporarily disable the 'Split Pipe' security in the IT Policy. This is not a long term solution, but it should get you past the problem.

If you're dealing with an administrator though, I suspect you should clean the device, set the Network Connection to MDS, and leave it there. Please let me know how it goes. If there is a problem that others have not run into, I'd like to resolve it.

Thanks for trying to use Ramble!
Well thats exactly my point i had a fresh BB with no previous attempts at ramble and first thing i tried was getting the MDS setup to work and no luck it would try to connect through different addresses toc.oscra.aol1 ,2, 3 etc...

the way i see it is that if there is a firewall your screwed and no way around it...

unless i can connect to aim with another address other then toc.oscar.aol then there is no way this is going to work... i even tried using the proxy settings in the TCP with user and pass being the same and no luck...
Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #55
Rambler

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that your organization has firewalled toc.oscar.aol.com. If they have, there are a number of addresses/ports you can try.

First, have you tried setting it to toc.oscar.aol.com:80? This is, as you probably know, the default web port and the Ramble traffic will look like web requests. If the entire host is blocked, try some of these hosts:

Some of them as of this morning are:

toc.gtoc.oscar.aol.com
toc-d01.blue.aol.com
toc-d02.blue.aol.com
toc-d03.blue.aol.com
toc-d04.blue.aol.com
toc-d05.blue.aol.com
toc-d06.blue.aol.com
toc-d07.blue.aol.com
toc-d08.blue.aol.com

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #56
SaV

Carrier: t-mobile

Good morning, Rambler. My Ramble worked last night, yet this morning it gets stuck at:

Logging In, Please Wait

Doesn't go anywhere else. I'm on a 7100T on T-Mobile. I have deleted the app and reloaded it to the same results.

Would you happen to have any information that can help me? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #57
Rambler

Unfortunately, if it was working previously, and stopped working, it is likely to be a network issue rather than a software issue since nothing changed on the software side. Check with your carrier to see if they're having any service issues.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #58
ya future hubbie

Model: 7520

for some reason today it just keeps saying logging in.. but it just stays there and yesterday it was fine , it usually always is, but today was the first..

also i wanted to ask , how come when i make a chatroom titled "nyc" it will make the room but with my name automatically plus nyc , what if i just want it "nyc" and not my name added to the room i make how can i disable that feature?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #59
SaV

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya future hubbie
for some reason today it just keeps saying logging in.. but it just stays there and yesterday it was fine , it usually always is, but today was the first..

also i wanted to ask , how come when i make a chatroom titled "nyc" it will make the room but with my name automatically plus nyc , what if i just want it "nyc" and not my name added to the room i make how can i disable that feature?
Same situation I am at regarding the Logging In.

Regarding the network, I called Tier 2 Blackberry Support and they said that the network is a-ok. So there are now three people that had their Ramble work, but are stuck at the "Loggin In" screen.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #60
arbos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaV
Same situation I am at regarding the Logging In.

Regarding the network, I called Tier 2 Blackberry Support and they said that the network is a-ok. So there are now three people that had their Ramble work, but are stuck at the "Loggin In" screen.
I'll chime in. I'm getting the same error with my Blackberry 7520. My business partner also has a Blackberry 7520 and his seems to be working fine. So I tried reloading it but still no success.
Closed Thread