Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default BES "suddenly" stopped...

Please Login to Remove!

BES 4.1.3 on its own server
Exchange 2003 SP2 on SBS2003 box

Was all working fine for ages, til now.

Today we changed ISP's of sort and whilst checking all the connectivity of everything, I noticed BES was not working.

Last successful delivered message with BES was 8:30am today - I had rebooted the server then.

Upon opening Blackberry Manager I get the old "Failed to open the default message store using the MAPI Profile "BlackberryManager"." message.

Of course, checked MAPI profile and everthing was fine. Even deleted the profiles in registry, reboot, same error. Have reset it 100 times.

Thinking back to what had changed, and the only thing I can think of was 3 Windows Updates from the night before. Uninstalled those, still nothing.

From a fresh reboot I get the message about a failed service or driver.

This is what I get in the event log from a fresh reboot:

MailboxManager::SubsystemInitialize - g_pSession->OpenMsgStore (0x8004011d)

Could not open Server Manager (return=00000000)

The description for Event ID ( 20000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: [CFG] Controller won't generate userdump files. Userdump.exe not found in system folder..

Database error in OpenDB (err=0x80004005, native err=4060) - Cannot open database "besmgmt" requested by the login. The login failed.

OpenDB: COM Error (80004005): Unspecified error

OpenDB: OPEN_DB failed

DBInit: OpenDB failed - 0

COM Error 0x80004005 in ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB() - Cannot open database "besmgmt" requested by the login. The login failed. - Unspecified error (connection string - Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=cafs3;Database=besmgmt;Tr usted_Connection=Yes)

[SYNC-Gate] Failed to connect to database.

[SYNC-Gate] SyncGate initialization failed, error code is 5201.

COM Error 0x80004005 in ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB() - Cannot open database "besmgmt" requested by the login. The login failed. - Unspecified error (connection string - Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=cafs3;Database=besmgmt;Tr usted_Connection=Yes)

SCS::InitializeSystem - Failed to initialize Connection Pool

<2009-11-15 15:42:26.625 GMT>:[13]:<MDS-CS_CAFS3_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database "besmgmt" requested by the login. The login failed.>

<2009-11-15 15:42:26.812 GMT>:[28]:<MDS-CS_CAFS3_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database "besmgmt" requested by the login. The login failed.>

<2009-11-15 15:42:26.812 GMT>:[29]:<MDS-CS_CAFS3_MDS-CS_1>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = ServerBroker: acquireService - Service with name PUSH does not exist>

Upon opening Blackberry Manager I get this:

[ExchangeAdaptorDLL::Initialize] Failed to open default message store, result=0x8004011d.

These have shown up as well:

The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 'CAFS3' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours.

BlackBerry Messaging Agent CAFS3 Agent 1 failed to start. Error code 5305

These repeat themselves over and over, and I know I have seen other messages as well during various reboots.

Here is what I have done (not necessarily in this order)

Triple checked all permissions of the bes service account
Uninstalled BES, reboot, reinstalled
Checked in Blackberry Server Config that all connections validate and work (database, SRP, network)
Logged on as bes service account on another machine with Outlook
Created new DB

I have been through so many links I have lost count, I'm at a total loss.

Any suggestions? :(
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
honghong

For what its worth also, I can sent the IT policy and according to Blackberry Manager the device receives it straight away...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8103e
Carrier: Verizon

I unfortunately have nothing useful to add other than we experienced a similar problem today too- we have BES 5.0 but our remote management company installed Windows Updates today and rebooted the BES server. Lo and behold, what was once working for months without a hiccup will not start today with a similar:

BlackBerry Messaging Agent OURFILESERVER Agent 1 failed to start. Error code 5305

Nice - Have to assume a Windows Update is involved in this. I'll report back if I uncover anything more.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

One more thing - I cannot sign into the BES 5.0 BlackBerry Administration Service using the accout credentials that have been valid "forver"

I'm getting a:

The username, password, or domain is not correct. Please correct the entry.

So I can't even get into it to see what's going on, I'm only going off of Event Viewer notes so far.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure if I'm going down the wrong path, but I'm starting to look in the direction of the Exchange 2007 server... I just found this message when IT was rebooted this afternoon, right around the same time as the BES server... a MAPI error.

------------------------------

A transient failure has occurred. The problem may resolve itself in awhile. The service will retry in 56 seconds. Diagnostic information:

Cannot open mailbox /o=xxxxxxxxxxx/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OURSERVERNAME/cn=Microsoft System Attendant.
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionFailedTr ansientException: Cannot open mailbox /o=xxxxxxxxxxxx/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OURSERVERNAME/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)
Diagnostic context:
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

My night has been hell so far - somewhere in the troubleshooting I discovered that one of our domain controllers was off by 30 minutes and hadn't been replicating for nearly 3 weeks. Nice. Lost the ability to start the Exchange services (because it couldn't find a domain controller it was happy with since THEY were fighting amongst themselves...)

Now that that's all sorted out, I'm trying a reinstall of BES 5.0 - I just can't make any sense of this, but clearly there was something pending on that server and the reboot set it off.

More to follow after the reinstallation...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Kick myself in the head, I got it working.

View Document

Basically, I deleted the MAPI profile following the instructions above and recreated it using the same instructions. I don't get it - there was nothing obviously wrong with the MAPI profile. I could run the IEMutil without issue, it resolved the name fine when I typed it in.

I just don't get it, but it's working and I'm going to bed.

Good luck with your server honghong - might as well give the MAPI delete/recreate a shot since it only takes a few minutes. Wish I would've tried 6 hours ago!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
honghong

Hiya

Glad you got yours working, I did too.

I had tried pretty much every single suggestion I could find online, in the end I gave up and called in (and paid) for the Incident-based support with Blackberry.

After 2hrs on the phone we had it working.

Long story short - we had to recreate the service account and all the related perms. Even Blackberry Senior support couldnt figure out why it had stopped working with the original service account, obviously everything was checked on that first.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's good to hear!
Yes, somewhere along the night I too thought the BES server was causing the problem. So I went through the 10 or whatever steps to recreate a BESAdmin2 service account but no luck on that front, so I deleted it.

For me, in the end, it was definitely that MAPI issue - deleting that registry key and recreating was the ticket as I was fine running off of my original service account.

FWIW, the more I troubleshoot these bizarre BES problems the more I'm convinced it's built on 2002 technology and cobbled together with bubble gum and duct tape.
Closed Thread