Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon (soon cxl)
Default Unable to unlock my 8700c with code

Please Login to Remove!

I followed the directions that Cingular sent me and I can't get past disabled SIM screen. I do not have a Cingular Sim, they did not give me one with the phone when I bought it for full retail. I am trying to use it on Tmobile, is there any other solution other than getting a Cing SIM and then unlocking it?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI Beach Bum
I followed the directions that Cingular sent me and I can't get past disabled SIM screen. I do not have a Cingular Sim, they did not give me one with the phone when I bought it for full retail. I am trying to use it on Tmobile, is there any other solution other than getting a Cing SIM and then unlocking it?
I had to go to Adam at http://www.gsmphonesource.com to get an unlock code. Worked after the first try. I do know that there are a limited number of times you can attempt an unlock before you are locked out permanently (or so says Adam).

Can I ask, how did you convince Cingular to give you an unlock code when you aren't a customer?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
CingularMK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

We'll give out unlock codes as long as you purchased the device at full retail price. Though it's also Cingular policy to not unlock Blackberries whatsoever. Those of you whom have had them unlocked are lucky to have gotten someone who doesn't understand the unlock policy correctly. ^_^
Old 02-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
I had to go to Adam at http://www.gsmphonesource.com to get an unlock code. Worked after the first try. I do know that there are a limited number of times you can attempt an unlock before you are locked out permanently (or so says Adam).

Can I ask, how did you convince Cingular to give you an unlock code when you aren't a customer?
I paid full retail and then sent a copy of my receipt & a copy of the IMEI code from the box and told them it was a gift for someone who travels overseas a lot. It took them 7 bus. days to get it to me, I should have just went to Adam first. I called ADam to just buy an unlocked one, but at the time he said he did not have any because he too was having trouble getting the codes for the newer phones.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Brad00111

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

I faxed Cingular a copy of my receipt (Paid full retail) had an email in my inbox within 15 minutes and the unlock code and instructions were in there. However, the rep did state that they do not guarantee the code will work, and it may have to be escalated if it did not work for me, but it did with no problems.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 02-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
mrpropaganda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Many have said it in the past, but I will say it again

Adam at www.gsmphonesource.com is awesome. Had the unlock code for my 8700c in about 90 minutes, good directions, and no problems.

Highly recommended!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
Scotty_T
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T, Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI Beach Bum
Beach Bum,

Get a Cingular SIM from a buddy to get your device to boot up. After you get the unlock codes in then switch to your Tmobile SIM.

Unfortunately for the BB's you aren't prompted with the "subsidy code" on bootup.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_T
Beach Bum,

Get a Cingular SIM from a buddy to get your device to boot up. After you get the unlock codes in then switch to your Tmobile SIM.

Unfortunately for the BB's you aren't prompted with the "subsidy code" on bootup.
Well, I tried a buddy's Cingular Sim and it is still not unlocking. It says SIM security disabled, does anyone know what this means? I them went to a corp store to see if they could help me. They called tech. service and they said that it will only prompt you to insert the unlock code with a foreign SIM. Is this indeed the case or what's up? I need to get this working or return it. I'm thinking I will just wait for a 8700 from Tmo or go back to a 7230. What do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
orangeroad22

Model: 8700C

hey! im new to the site and few other outhere im having problem to unlock my 8700c ok-1st its from cingular and i want to change it t-mobile any1 can help whats my 1st move
Old 03-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroad22
hey! im new to the site and few other outhere im having problem to unlock my 8700c ok-1st its from cingular and i want to change it t-mobile any1 can help whats my 1st move
First move is learn to search and reads the faqs this topic is beat to death every single day. Do what all of us have done search.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Are these the instructions you are following? Othere than #1 since you don't have a Cingular Sim, maybe you can borrow one from a friend to unlock it or try another SIM, but you only have 5 attempts at entering the unlock code.

I got mine unlocked today, free, from Cingular, and he even stayed on the phone while I unlocked it to make sure it was good

PS. The instructions excluded item #3a

1 Insert Cingular SIM into device

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.

3 Select xxx8220;Optionsxxx8221;

3a Select "Advanced Options"

4 Scroll down and select xxx8220;SIM Cardxxx8221;

5 Type xxx8220;MEPDxxx8221;

6 Type xxx8220;MEP2xxx8221;

7 Enter the Unlock Code

8 Press enter

9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.

Last edited by nb_mitch; 03-16-2006 at 02:49 PM..
Old 03-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
BlackBlueberryBrew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Another shout out to Adam!!! I got a code from Adam and it changed my life... hahahahaha... (lol) Worked the 1st time with no problems. Too bad I dropped it on my kitchen floor yesterday...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28935
By the way CingularMK, Cingular/Wireless Revolutions was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally ticked when I made the switch to Tmo. You would have thought that I was Satan or something.... hahahahahaha... (lol) ...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #13
MJC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

BVI - One un-related questions: Does your BB works fine while on the BVI? What carrier do you use, roaming? Do you have full email, phone access there?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
SilverSurfer95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
Are these the instructions you are following? Othere than #1 since you don't have a Cingular Sim, maybe you can borrow one from a friend to unlock it or try another SIM, but you only have 5 attempts at entering the unlock code.

I got mine unlocked today, free, from Cingular, and he even stayed on the phone while I unlocked it to make sure it was good

PS. The instructions excluded item #3a

1 Insert Cingular SIM into device

2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY IMPORTANT.

3 Select “Options”

3a Select "Advanced Options"

4 Scroll down and select “SIM Card”

5 Type “MEPD”

6 Type “MEP2”

7 Enter the Unlock Code

8 Press enter

9 Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just traded in my Robbers Wireless (In Canada) for a Cingular. Btw, the Cingular people are w-a-y nicer to deal with. I called the international number (had to wait 30 min), gave them my IMEI number and the unlock code was provided. Doesn't it make you wonder that these companies tht "provide the service" may be ripping people off or is it just me?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #15
delmarco

Model: 9790

I dont understand, some of you are saying that Cingular WILL unlock your phone but only if you have cingular service or is it only if you have a cingular sim card?

It doesnt make sense to unlock a cingular phone unless you are NOT a cingular customer.

Now as a Tmo customer can I get cingular to unlock my phone for free?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Nope Cingular customers in good standing and account for some time period (heard min 90 days) can get it unlocked. Otherwise you gotta pony up. I hear they even take gold dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
I dont understand, some of you are saying that Cingular WILL unlock your phone but only if you have cingular service or is it only if you have a cingular sim card?

It doesnt make sense to unlock a cingular phone unless you are NOT a cingular customer.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #17
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco

As a Tmo customer Cingular will not unlock your phone under any circumstances. But I will not for free though
Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Default Just sent Adam some cash

Fellas just curious, once i put the unlock code: a.) how will i now it's unlocked? i assume it will say device unlocked or something to that affect. b.) And i am correct in saying that all sims will work canadian, european and other domestics sims? let me know guys, thanks...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge

At the end of the unlock process it will say "Code Accepted" thats how you will know your phone is unlocked
Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

worked perfect, big shout to Adam @ http://www.gsmphonesource.com/ if you need it unlocked he's the man...
Closed Thread