Old 08-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #41
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Oh - don't forget the step of getting a CDMA carrier to commit in advance to buy enough volume to make it worthwhile in the first place! The delay *might* be more from the carrier than from RIM.
I personally think this is the biggest problem. I have a feeling that Sprint isn't stepping up to the plate. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the biggest problem. The redesign would be minimal, as most of the layout on the board would probably stay the same, just a couple of things MAY have to be moved.

Bleh, who knows. Whatever the reason, I wish it would be corrected.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #42
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

It seems to me that Sprint and Verizon are both pushing the Treo option harder than the Blackberry option. T-Mobile and Cingular seem to be concentrating more on Blackberry, hence the exclusives for the different carriers.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #43
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
I personally think this is the biggest problem. I have a feeling that Sprint isn't stepping up to the plate. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the biggest problem. The redesign would be minimal, as most of the layout on the board would probably stay the same, just a couple of things MAY have to be moved.
Sprint may not step up to the plate, but I guarantee that Verizon would. The problem is that there are so many more GSM users than CDMA users. So most manufacturers gravitate towards GSM first with most models. There have been exceptions, like with the new Treos, but that was only because CDMA networks here in the US already have 3G, whereas the GSM nets for the most part do not.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #44
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Because the Treo options dont generally require extra hardware, and software, etc. outside of the exchange server, to where as the blackberry requires a BES for full wireless functionality.

CDMA seems to be the standard for corporate america, atleast alot of the big corps based here in Houston seem to be using Verizon.

Last edited by stripesace; 08-27-2006 at 01:54 PM..
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #45
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
Because the Treo options dont generally require extra hardware, and software, etc. outside of the exchange server, to where as the blackberry requires a BES for full wireless functionality.

CDMA seems to be the standard for corporate america, atleast alot of the big corps based here in Houston seem to be using Verizon.
Corporations favor Blackberry's...and are more than willing to install the BES for the added value it provides in terms of security, stability, etc.

The BB is far and way the preferred enterprise solution.

Corporate users in the US don't so much care about whether a carrier is CDMA or GSM, and if they do, they'd actually prefer GSM because it can be used more around the world. The reason why Verizon is favored by many corporations is simply because Verizon has the most reliable network. I live in Florida and Verizon is the only network that has kept on functioning through the hurricanes of past years, for example. That is why corporations favor Verizon.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #46
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
It seems to me that Sprint and Verizon are both pushing the Treo option harder than the Blackberry option. T-Mobile and Cingular seem to be concentrating more on Blackberry, hence the exclusives for the different carriers.
Sprint and Verizon would love to get the new Blackberry's first as well, but RIM releases them in GSM first. It has nothing to do with the carriers favoring the Treo. The newer Treos only came out on Sprint and Verizon first because these networks already have their 3G service up and running. Most of the appeal of the new Treos to the earlier models is the access to 3G broadband. Now Palm is finally getting around to releasing GSM Treos, because Cingular is finally turning on its 3G network.

I am sure that Verizon, for instance, would love to be the first to break the new Pearl model. But there are many factors at play, namely,the greater number of GSM users worldwide.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #47
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought
I live in Florida and Verizon is the only network that has kept on functioning through the hurricanes of past years, for example. That is why corporations favor Verizon.
Well, as much as I despise Nextel/Sprint right now (for Nextel's lousy service and Sprints lack of BB's), I have to say, with all of the hurricanes in recent years, I have not had any problem with getting signal during and after the storms.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #48
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
Well, as much as I despise Nextel/Sprint right now (for Nextel's lousy service and Sprints lack of BB's), I have to say, with all of the hurricanes in recent years, I have not had any problem with getting signal during and after the storms.
Good to see another Floridian on these boards, as well as another Gator Fan!

It's good that you didn't have any problems with Nextel/Sprint during the hurricanes...I guess it depends on where you were. I have a friend who works for a major utility company and they were very frustrated when their Nextel service went down.

I also know that the state government of Florida last year signed a 5 year contract with Verizon largely because of their reliability factor during the hurricanes.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #49
sotampagator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Alltel

Another Gator here, bro!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #50
TXBB7130
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t Verizon

Along the lines of what folks are talking about, will the 8200 have UMTS and be 3G? Or will this be another EDGE device?

On a different note, in order to take advantage of Wi-fi, don't you have to log on/be allowed on the wi-fi network? Similar to what you would do with a laptop?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #51
shaqinsactown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) is what you're talking about and I highly doubt that its to deploy that technology if Wi-Fi is even present in the 8200. T-Mobile is testing it in the northwest, and until the carriers can figure out how they are going to bill you then you might as well think of it as a pipe dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperkins
Concerning the Wifi model....will it switch from EDGE to Wifi to make calls? This would be a perfect solution to my less than stellar Cingular coverage at my house. Or is the Wifi for email/net only?

Sure hope it is not another Wifi unit for business like the the 7270?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #52
mrogers

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBB7130
On a different note, in order to take advantage of Wi-fi, don't you have to log on/be allowed on the wi-fi network? Similar to what you would do with a laptop?
Yes of course. The access requirements for a wireless network don't magically change just because you're using a cell phone instead of a laptop.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #53
lunchboxfett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

The keys seem a little smaller on the Verizon 8703e device.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #54
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Hey.. theglobeandmail has profiled Boygenius..

he's a marked man, that's for sure.. good luck, fear the WRATH of rim!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #55
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Whatever you say...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 08-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #56
mobilecontrol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought
Good to see another Floridian on these boards, as well as another Gator Fan!

It's good that you didn't have any problems with Nextel/Sprint during the hurricanes...I guess it depends on where you were. I have a friend who works for a major utility company and they were very frustrated when their Nextel service went down.

I also know that the state government of Florida last year signed a 5 year contract with Verizon largely because of their reliability factor during the hurricanes.
Florida boy here too!

T-Mobile:

- 8100 (rockin' the demo!), 8700g, 7100t, 6230
Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #57
nick119

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Is there any exact date on this coming out and what carrier it will reach first? Because I was thinking of getting a Cingular 8125 and then I was playing with my friends and seen it was underpowered and just didnt like it. I currently have the 7290 and don't want to upgrade to the 8700 if there is a CAMERA/WiFi/QWERTY BB Device coming out real soon. I would rather wait. But anyway thanks for the post.
Closed Thread