Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #61
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Please Login to Remove!

Dude, you did all that for nothing. You approached the whole thing incorrectly. What you should have done is just uninstall the .176 OS form your PC under Add/Remove (BTW, don't ever install more then one OS copy for your phone on the PC as this will mess up the install/uninstall in windows for it because it only lists one copy in add/remove programs.) Where you went wrong is that you installed .176 on top of .148. Also when you uninstalled and reinstalled the .148 version you probably still had .176 loaded so Desktop Manager didn't prompt you to downgrade the phone because it was still equal to what recent version was installed. .176 took priority over .148 even if both were installed. Desktop Manager will "downgrade" a BB without having to do a complete wipe with javaloader. Your process just got botched because you overlapped OSs on your PC. That's all.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #62
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I install OS's over the top of older OS's all the time. They are all listed in my add/remove programs. I leave them there so that I can take .cod files from the java folder if I need to. Also, if I want to downgrade, I simply uninstall the later versions and run apploader again.

You don't have to uninstall older copies before installing newer copies.

It's true if you install an earlier version but you still have the later version you will not get a downgrade. You have to uninstall any later versions in order to downgrade.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #63
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I install OS's over the top of older OS's all the time. They are all listed in my add/remove programs.
Have you tried it in Vista? It won't list multiple instances. Could be a bug in the installer, but that's the case. Take it or leave it.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #64
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Works fine that way in XP. Take it or leave it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #65
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Dude, you did all that for nothing. You approached the whole thing incorrectly. What you should have done is just uninstall the .176 OS form your PC under Add/Remove (BTW, don't ever install more then one OS copy for your phone on the PC as this will mess up the install/uninstall in windows for it because it only lists one copy in add/remove programs.) Where you went wrong is that you installed .176 on top of .148. Also when you uninstalled and reinstalled the .148 version you probably still had .176 loaded so Desktop Manager didn't prompt you to downgrade the phone because it was still equal to what recent version was installed. .176 took priority over .148 even if both were installed. Desktop Manager will "downgrade" a BB without having to do a complete wipe with javaloader. Your process just got botched because you overlapped OSs on your PC. That's all.
okie to clarify

pc had only .148 installed, and only 148 installed, bb was wiped, it didnt want to load any os.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #66
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I just read through your entire book above on what you did. I'm not sure why you're copying java folders from 8820's and other models. That's likely why you're having so many problems.

I didn't see anywhere in your post where you removed the .176 OS from your computer. You obviously installed it to get it to load on your BB.

I don't recommend using contents of a java folder from another device. That will likely cause many problems.

Here's what I would do. I would make sure that .176 has been uninstalled. Do that from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. Then install .148. Delete the vendor.xml (just to rule that out--it never hurts to delete it.) Then connect the BB and see what you get in the apploader.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #67
wabbit

Quote:
I didn't see anywhere in your post where you removed the .176 OS from your computer. You obviously installed it to get it to load on your BB.
Quote:
i ran the vz 148 exe, it asked to repair or remove, i selected remove, then i went to /program files/common files, the rim and other data was still their, and deleted it manualy. reran the 148 exe it installed, and started the loader.
the kicker was the loader didnt list anything, no newer version etc.
that removed the 176, then if i reran it, installed the dm for 148, i did manually delete the rim common files before i ran the 148 setup since the remove does not do a clean uninstall.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #68
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Removing the 148 doesn't necessarily remove the 176.

Sound like you've got things pretty messed up. Your best bet might be to uninstall everything and start from scratch, including Desktop Manager.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #69
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
that removed the 176, then if i reran it, installed the dm for 148, i did manually delete the rim common files before i ran the 148 setup since the remove does not do a clean uninstall.
Yeah, no, that did not remove the .176 OS. This is why your SFI won't downgrade. Uninstall all the OSs and then just install .148.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #70
wabbit

Quote:
Removing the 148 doesn't necessarily remove the 176.

Sound like you've got things pretty messed up. Your best bet might be to uninstall everything and start from scratch, including Desktop Manager.
when you run any os installer it asks to repair or remove the installed dm, the .66 or 148 never acted as this. i went back and forth with it, i never really installed the 8820 java, till i got the 148 installed and working, then i reflashed it again, my problem was when i did a clean install on 2 pc's of 148 and synched the and went to install it, it said no os, or some error like that, and it had nothing to install, with a wiped bb
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #71
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I think I'm thoroughly confused. I've never had an OS installer ask to repair or remove the installed DM.

Why would you install anything from the 8820 on your 8830? Even if you get it to load you may run into many other problems. If you are just experimenting then this all belongs in another thread.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #72
wabbit

Quote:
I think I'm thoroughly confused. I've never had an OS installer ask to repair or remove the installed DM.

Why would you install anything from the 8820 on your 8830? Even if you get it to load you may run into many other problems. If you are just experimenting then this all belongs in another thread.
alright.

8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel271_PL3.0.0.67_A4.2.2.148.exe

when you run that file, if you have device loader installed, it asks to repair, or remove, i did remove, which should clear registry, then i deleted the common files/rim folder

i reran that file, to install the .148 os, i hope ya understand, and when i ran the loader, it would not install, or even list, upgrade, downgrade, etc

that is the offical vz 148 dist,

the reason why i run the 8820 java is the phone boots with about 28 megs free ram, after about a month to a lil more the phone still has over 20 megs ram. the 148 or .66 memory leak bad. and i dont have to do a battery pull in less then a month apart.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #73
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default New OS problem --

Ok, so I download the Telus 8830 OS and it happens quite a bit that the phone drops the call when removing it from the holster to answer. I had never seen this kind of behavior on my 8830, so I reload the same OS once more, with the exact same issue. I decide to go back to the Verizon OS I was on before, so I uninstall the Telus OS, install the Verizon OS on my PC once again, delete the vendor.xml file and reload, with no issue. I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to downgrade; it was no different than an upgrade -- and the problem disappeared too.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #74
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Man, .176 seems kinda buggy to me. If VZW releases this same release I might just wait until 4.3 comes out.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #75
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Man, .176 seems kinda buggy to me. If VZW releases this same release I might just wait until 4.3 comes out.
did you install the telus one? what were some of the issues you experienced?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #76
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltx114 View Post
did you install the telus one? what were some of the issues you experienced?
I haven't, I'm going by what others have found. That's one of the reasons why I haven't updated mine. Besides, there doesn't really seem to be a fix for anything so why update. I'll wait for VZW's and then follow up with CSRs to find out the list of fixes before updating to it.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #77
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
alright.

8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel271_PL3.0.0.67_A4.2.2.148.exe

when you run that file, if you have device loader installed, it asks to repair, or remove, i did remove, which should clear registry, then i deleted the common files/rim folder

i reran that file, to install the .148 os, i hope ya understand, and when i ran the loader, it would not install, or even list, upgrade, downgrade, etc

that is the offical vz 148 dist,

the reason why i run the 8820 java is the phone boots with about 28 megs free ram, after about a month to a lil more the phone still has over 20 megs ram. the 148 or .66 memory leak bad. and i dont have to do a battery pull in less then a month apart.

Just my $0.02 here -

If you're running into problems with "memory leaks" the problem is in the JRE. As any 1/2 decent programmer knows Java has automated garbage collection that's handled by the JRE.

That said, there are basically two lumps of code within the BlackBerry OS - Hardware specific stuff + JRE, and a bunch of Java Applications. If you're just copying over the applications (Java folder) how on earth will this update the JRE and the alleged memory leaks?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #78
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhar View Post
If you're just copying over the applications (Java folder) how on earth will this update the JRE and the alleged memory leaks?
The Java folder is the JRE/Java Apps together. The CDMA folder is just the firmware.

Anyhow, even people with a standard load of .176 are reporting a bad memory leak. Could be .176 or it could be the VZNav POS program.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #79
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Agreed. Unless it offers some significant change, I rather wait.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #80
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

How does 4.2.2.176 do without VZNav? Does it still have memory leaks and/or is buggy in general?
Just wondering whether its a .176 problem or a VZNav issue...
Closed Thread