Old 03-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #161
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill
God, I had to jump back in this because obviously some people do not know how to read written English.

I never said they SELL their unit for $40. I said they cost $40 to make. Then sell their devices at wholesale price to companies like Cingular. Wdich in turn increase with markup price for a profit to recoup a % of services.

I am familiar to the way cost vs. production vs. profit works. Did you now read above, twice, what I helped develop? I totally understand... how much is my markup? 500% How much do we make off the product? Almost nothing... acutally, about $75 per sale. So don't think I don't know.

Okay, I'm gone again...
And when they sell it at $150.. they are losing money. Which they recoup by locking you in a contract. Which is why they want the device back if you back out at the begining, and they have a cancellation fee if you back out later. What you are doing may not be illegal according to the fine print, but then again, neither was the NTP judgement..
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #162
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinga
I don't mind pay more for Verizon because they do have much better service.

Verizon charges $79.99 for 450 minutes, Unlimited IN, Unlimited nights and weekends and Unlimited Data Usage

Cingular charges $85.00 for Cingular Nation 450 Rollover Minutes + Blackberry Unlimited Email. (not include data usage.)

I dont' tell how much t-mobile plan is.

Don't tell me they don't have money to improve their infrastructure. Like I said, cingular is rapping us off by buying exclusive rights for phones.

You can shut up now if you are working for cingular.
I don't work for Cingular. Read the posts, I work in the fashion industry. You don't like Cingular prices? think they are too high? Don't go to Cingular. I think Mercedes are overpriced, doesn't mean I plan to try to rip them off.

Yu have no idea what their business plans are. Every carrier tries to get exclusive rights.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #163
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Why are many people switching to t-mobile from cingular? because cingular sucks and they charging too much for their crapy service; because they pay a lot to buy out the new phones instead of imporve their services; they should blame theirself if they are losing money on this (but, i dont' think so).

You are the people really make me sick...
I beg to differ. I Love my Cingular service. I dumped T-Mobile because their coverage wasn't good. Cell service is all relative. Every one has their advantages and everyone has their disadvantages.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #164
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I do not work for Cingular either, and I am a Verizon customer not Cingular, however none of that has to do with the price of tea in china or with the fact that what is being encouraged here is wrong, and unethical. I did read what niteqwill posted regarding what he developed (though it sounds like horn tooting to me), it is still inmaterial whats wrong is wrong what is unethical is unethical whether you helped develop anything or not. Can you get away with it probably yes, does it make it right because you got away with it and did not get caught, no. SO the bottom line is this, it doesnt matter if they are overcharging or not, that is their price, if you circumvent it you are stealing, it is wrong period. End of story.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #165
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I do not work for Cingular either, and I am a Verizon customer not Cingular, however none of that has to do with the price of tea in china or with the fact that what is being encouraged here is wrong, and unethical. I did read what niteqwill posted regarding what he developed (though it sounds like horn tooting to me), it is still inmaterial whats wrong is wrong what is unethical is unethical whether you helped develop anything or not. Can you get away with it probably yes, does it make it right because you got away with it and did not get caught, no. SO the bottom line is this, it doesnt matter if they are overcharging or not, that is their price, if you circumvent it you are stealing, it is wrong period. End of story.
Exactly. The mere fact that some of you feel the need to rationalize what is being done by saying that you are "just sticking it to the man" says that you are aware that what you are doing is wrong to begin with but it's ok because you feel "entitled" to cheat those you believe are cheating you.

REAL nice ethical standard. I hope your family, your firends, and your employer are proud of how you conduct your personal and professional business.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #166
SeattleSE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default But now I can't get the rebate.

OK, I planned in good faith to convert to Cingular but now I discover that I'm not eligible for a rebate that I thought I was. Should I just return everything or should I explore other legal options open to me? And, yes, perhaps I should have parsed all of the levels of crap necessary to have found this little glitch in the first place.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28096

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
Cingular isn't in the business of GIVING away Blackberry devices to any Joe who is interested in "cheating" the system.

I cannot believe that this forum and it's moderators are letting this discussion continue.

Jddphd, or anyone who wants and 8700c, purchase the Cingular service or outright purchase the device from Cingular and get it unlocked.

The attitutde of entitlement here bothers me a bit. It really doesn't matter if you think Cingular overcharges their customers or not, you are NOT ENTITLED to CHEAT the system. This is why devices, software licenses and insurance are so costly. People are out to make a buck or cheat the system any way they can. Grow up, shell out the $500 for the device, or buy one you CAN afford.

...Wait, here's an idea, get a job that pays you more so you CAN afford a $500 device.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #167
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSE
...And, yes, perhaps I should have parsed all of the levels of crap necessary to have found this little glitch in the first place.
ok, I can understand your frustration at this, however, it is stated there in plain English that this is not possible and what you are trying to do is not available to you in your situation.

Personally, I would call Cingular Sales and explain what you want to do. Tell them you want to switch to Cingular from Tmo and that you will as soon as they give you the same deal offered at Amazon.

It can't hurt.

I can tell you this... my first 8700c cost me $349 and I had existing service. My second one was Free... Yes Free. Long story short, it was being offered through a software vendor who sent me the phone provided I signed up for voice and data with Cingular, which I did.

So there are deals out there which are valid and for the average person.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #168
dinga

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
I don't work for Cingular. Read the posts, I work in the fashion industry. You don't like Cingular prices? think they are too high? Don't go to Cingular. I think Mercedes are overpriced, doesn't mean I plan to try to rip them off.

Yu have no idea what their business plans are. Every carrier tries to get exclusive rights.
I agree if you compare verizon to mercedes. cingular, hell no.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #169
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I did read what niteqwill posted regarding what he developed
(though it sounds like horn tooting to me)
Horn tooting? I helped it mature in design and production, I didn't individually develop it, it was the mastermind of a single person and the creation of 20 or so people by hand, I helped in the prototype stages. Check out http://www.ronjonwheels.com - Click on the CL Aero kit... The amount of hours and years coming together has been a long road to production. Don't call me a liar, I never called you one.

Last edited by niteqwill; 03-09-2006 at 01:30 AM..
Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #170
SeattleSE

Model: 8700C
Default Well, OK but...

My only disagreement with your point is that this number portability thing was mentioned on a page that I was never required to read as part of the sales process and yet was not mentioned on the rebate form. Would it not have been prudent for them to have mentioned that a substantial percentage of potential rebate applicants would not qualify due to an obscure administrative issue that would not occur to the average Joe?

Conspiracy theorists among us would conclude that they did it this way on purpose to screw the undiligent out of rebates. I prefer the KISS approach: I just think that they're morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
ok, I can understand your frustration at this, however, it is stated there in plain English that this is not possible and what you are trying to do is not available to you in your situation.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #171
dinga

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSE
My only disagreement with your point is that this number portability thing was mentioned on a page that I was never required to read as part of the sales process and yet was not mentioned on the rebate form. Would it not have been prudent for them to have mentioned that a substantial percentage of potential rebate applicants would not qualify due to an obscure administrative issue that would not occur to the average Joe?

Conspiracy theorists among us would conclude that they did it this way on purpose to screw the undiligent out of rebates. I prefer the KISS approach: I just think that they're morons.
Haha, the best way is cancel your cingula service right now and pay adam 45 to unlock the phone, then stay with t-mobile. of course, only if you have good t-mobile coverage. for good coverage, no one beats verizon.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #172
BES admin

Quote:
...for good coverage, no one beats verizon.
Not in my area. Verizon signal and service is awful. For me Cingular beats Verizon hands down. Of course this is exactly my earlier point about: To each his own and everything is relative when it comes to service and customer serviec experience.

Cingular Plan:

1000 min/mo $59 + taxes
Unlimited Night and weekends
Unlimited in network
Night and weekends start at 7pm
Rollover minutes: keep your unused min for up to 12 months (HUGE for me)

This plan is the plan I have had for 3 years now. It is no longer offered, but it's why I stick with Cingular. You CAN'T beat this. (Maybe t-mo can, but I would never use them).
Old 03-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #173
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill
Horn tooting? I helped it mature in design and production, I didn't individually develop it, it was the mastermind of a single person and the creation of 20 or so people by hand, I helped in the prototype stages. Check out http://www.ronjonwheels.com - Click on the CL Aero kit... The amount of hours and years coming together has been a long road to production. Don't call me a liar, I never called you one.
This is what I wrote "I do not work for Cingular either, and I am a Verizon customer not Cingular, however none of that has to do with the price of tea in china or with the fact that what is being encouraged here is wrong, and unethical. I did read what niteqwill posted regarding what he developed (though it sounds like horn tooting to me), it is still inmaterial whats wrong is wrong what is unethical is unethical whether you helped develop anything or not. Can you get away with it probably yes, does it make it right because you got away with it and did not get caught, no. SO the bottom line is this, it doesnt matter if they are overcharging or not, that is their price, if you circumvent it you are stealing, it is wrong period. End of story."

Can you please point to where I called you a liar. I said horn tooting which in my book means boasting. If you are referring to this part "it is still inmaterial whats wrong is wrong what is unethical is unethical whether you helped develop anything or not", I guess you dont understand, I am not saying you may or may have not developed anything, what I am saying is EVEN IF YOU HAVE OR HAVE NOT DEVELOPED ANYTHING (or anyone else for that matter) What is being suggested in this thread is still unethical and wrong. So if anyone is owed an apology here its me, now grow up, you are entitled to your opinion as I am as well.

Now again I call for the moderators to put an end to this thread it is definitelynot going anywhere.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #174
BES admin

Talking

I hereby summon the ancient spirits of old...

come to us with fire and brimstone...

Judge not the innocent...

...but close this thread before these evildoers bring plague and pestilance upon all the earth!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #175
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

First and last warning for this thread. Please keep comments professional and on topic or this thread will be closed.

your friendly BBF moderator
Old 03-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #176
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

You know this thread was doing just fine staying on the subject until it was ethically challenged by some individuals. Just my 2cents.

If people want this thread closed so bad because of their personal opinions, they should have PMd a mod and not reply to something irrelevent. Yes, I'm guilt to fueling the fire too, so I'm not stepping away from that.

Ethics, morality, etc are one sided issues anyway, this is not the thread to discuss these issues. Different parts of the world view things differently and no issue of such nature is going to resolved as long as societal and cultural differences exist.

Last edited by niteqwill; 03-09-2006 at 12:54 PM..
Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #177
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Ethically challenged or not. The topic of this thread was to by through amazon, unlock through GSMPS. that is what the topic needs to remain on.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #178
Skrilla™
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Ethically challenged or not. The topic of this thread was to by through amazon, unlock through GSMPS. that is what the topic needs to remain on.
yes indeed, so has anyone else tried this lately and had success? I am wondering if I should do it too.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #179
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

I think this thread's about reached the end of the road; I think however that there are still a few folks who are waiting on Adam for the unlock, everybody who was going to purchase from AMZN have already done so and cancelled their Cingular service.

On a related note, what if I go to a reseller who would give me the BB for free? Am I somehow helping to "cheat the system" because my reseller is happy to get my contract and make his commission and not worry about the few dollars that he is paying for the device?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #180
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdafuhk
On a related note, what if I go to a reseller who would give me the BB for free? Am I somehow helping to "cheat the system" because my reseller is happy to get my contract and make his commission and not worry about the few dollars that he is paying for the device?
No. That's the point of the discounted/free phones offered by the cellula xcarriers. They willingly lose money on the hardware in order to get the service business. What is discussed in this thread is getting a discounted BB and not getting the service.
Closed Thread