Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default 8830 vs GSM Devices

Please Login to Remove!

This is probably a dumb question but does the 8830 offer any advantages for international use over devices on AT&T in terms of voice/data coverage?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
EmptyInTheHead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

The CDMA carriers like Verizon are going to tell you that while in the US the CDMA network is superior to the GSM network. While using an 8830 on GSM it should work just like any other GSM device. Right now I actually think that that the VZW 8830 has a disadvantage for GSM use because it cannot be easily unlocked so you can just pop in any carrier's SIM card.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
The CDMA carriers like Verizon are going to tell you that while in the US the CDMA network is superior to the GSM network. While using an 8830 on GSM it should work just like any other GSM device. Right now I actually think that that the VZW 8830 has a disadvantage for GSM use because it cannot be easily unlocked so you can just pop in any carrier's SIM card.
That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of, the SIM card that is. I am trying to let some executives know that all this "World" phone does is allow something that was previously limited to North America work elsewhere and that its no different than an AT&T device for international use. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
rpvitale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Verizon is locked to Vodafone service /partners overseas. I found my ATT phone bounced for carrier to carrier looking for the stronger signal. When my VZW count not find Vodafone it went SOS only.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
packetknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvitale View Post
Verizon is locked to Vodafone service /partners overseas. I found my ATT phone bounced for carrier to carrier looking for the stronger signal. When my VZW count not find Vodafone it went SOS only.
My experience was that I could use Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, and O2 while in the UK. It would move from carrier to carrier based on strength. Every-so-often it'd get stuck in SOS but a 'turn-off' antenna and back on did the trick. Not as smooth for sure but still worked. -Pk
Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default Were You Aware That. . .

Vodafone is a minority owner of Verizon. It should come as no surprise that the SIM card for the 8830 is locked to Vodafone. If and when Verizon releases any new world phones one can bet that the SIM card will be locked to Vodaphone services.

To expect otherwise is like asking Ford to sell you a car with a Dodge motor. Nice idea but highly unlikely.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
BVI Beach Bum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon (soon cxl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Vodafone is a minority owner of Verizon. It should come as no surprise that the SIM card for the 8830 is locked to Vodafone. If and when Verizon releases any new world phones one can bet that the SIM card will be locked to Vodaphone services.

To expect otherwise is like asking Ford to sell you a car with a Dodge motor. Nice idea but highly unlikely.
One thing that I noticed when I did some research for both AT&T and Verizon for internatiuonal raoming was that VZW has far fewer countries listed compared to AT&T. I for one go to the carribbean often and Greece. VZW does not have Greece listed at all, and only about half of the carribbean. I decided to stick with AT&T. I really wanted to get the "world" phone", but decided on the Curve.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
europamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI Beach Bum View Post
One thing that I noticed when I did some research for both AT&T and Verizon for internatiuonal raoming was that VZW has far fewer countries listed compared to AT&T. I for one go to the carribbean often and Greece. VZW does not have Greece listed at all, and only about half of the carribbean. I decided to stick with AT&T. I really wanted to get the "world" phone", but decided on the Curve.
I really think it depends on how much time you spend overseas and where. I for one spend more time here in the USA, so the 3G had me goto Verizon. When I am overseas, I use my laptop more anyways for emails. When I head to England next year, I will just switch to a carrier there anyways.
Alexandre Dumas
Old 06-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post

I don't understand your analogy. You can unlock the 8830 like any other GSM device.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
ea3421
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

How can I unlock the 8830? I've been trying to find a way for weeks...
Closed Thread