Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
rugmankc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default Hosted Exchanges

Please Login to Remove!

Hope this is OK for this forum:

Individual looking at buying a hosted exchange to sync outlook to, calendar etc. Looked at different ones like exchangemymail and link2exchange and searched the forums. I would do this only if I keep my BB, and Google Sync starts to fail me. So far it is 100%

Questions From My Research to Date:

Do you need to buy both the exchange and mobile access programs? Hence about $20 per month.

Do you need their Outlook to install as opposed to having mine already installed? Some offer free Outlook 2007, is why I ask.

Do you need to use their Email address they give to you or will any IMAP one do?

Can you access outlook from the exchange like I do google calendar, so if I am away from my PC, I can still log in and make entries, changes, deletions etc to calendar.

Sorry for what to most of you is very basic questions. But want to be sure I undestand this. And, current users like yourself are the best place to get that info.

Many Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by rugmankc; 03-14-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
rugmankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
Hope this is OK for this forum:

Individual looking at buying a hosted exchange to sync outlook to, calendar etc. Looked at different ones like exchangemymail and link2exchange and searched the forums. I would do this only if I keep my BB, and Google Sync starts to fail me. So far it is 100%

Questions From My Research to Date:

Do you need to buy both the exchange and mobile access programs? Hence about $20 per month.

Do you need their Outlook to install as opposed to having mine already installed? Some offer free Outlook 2007, is why I ask.

Do you need to use their Email address they give to you or will any IMAP one do?

Can you access outlook from the exchange like I do google calendar, so if I am away from my PC, I can still log in and make entries, changes, deletions etc to calendar.

Sorry for what to most of you is very basic questions. But want to be sure I undestand this. And, current users like yourself are the best place to get that info.

Many Thanks,

Ken

Also read about having a domain name. I don't. Is that an issue, or will I have to purchase one? Guess I thought I could just use my current Email Address (POP3) and ISP and redirect that email address to the exchange. Although not sure how you do that.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 03-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Search for Hosted BES service for Blackberry in the sponsor section of the Forum

Last edited by tsac; 03-14-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
rugmankc

Thanks for the reply,

I have researched both exchanges on that page, but am just confused on some things.

I know I now need Exchange and Wireless Sync. Not sure how Active Sync affects me.

Not sure If I need a Domain, the cost if needed, and how to set up the DNS or mail forwarding and if I can use my current email.

New question, is entourage needed in addition to outlook, and again do I need to download their outlook?

Just looking for some general feedback on how all this works with my particular situation as stated above.

Ken
Old 03-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
jg70124
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: Cin

Quote:

Yes. And also, you need to have the corporate (BES) data plan from your carrier, typically $45/month in the US (as opposed to $30 for the consumer plan).

Quote:
No, yours will do fine. Outlook 2007 offers some significant advantages to previous versions, like time zone selection for appointments, but there are also compromises - like loss of some taskpad functionality.

Quote:
You need your own domain. Expect to pay about $10-20/year plus some initial set up charges. Your host will help you with the settings - you will need to set up DNS and MX pointers.

You can have your IMAP account forwarded there, if you want.
Quote:
Yes, you can access Exchange-based email from the web, so long as the host has turned that option on.
Quote:
Not sure If I need a Domain, the cost if needed, and how to set up the DNS or mail forwarding and if I can use my current email.
See above
Quote:
New question, is entourage needed in addition to outlook, and again do I need to download their outlook?
This question doesn't make sense. Entourage and Outlook do the same thing - they're both email readers for laptops. Entourage works on Macs, Outlook has versions for PCs or Macs. If you have a Mac, you can use either. If you have a Windows-based PC, you need Outlook.

Last edited by jg70124; 03-15-2010 at 11:03 AM..
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
rugmankc

Thanks a lot jg70124,

That's exactly the info I needed and not all available on their websites.

Sounds like more than I want to get into as an individual as long as google sync/calendar continue to do well. I also have funambol as a choice.

Ken