BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
jg70124
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: Cin
Default Any strategy for true email sync on BIS?

Please Login to Remove!

I've read on this board that RIM's IMAP implementation is not standard - and that emails which are read or deleted on the desktop or on the web will not be updated on a BB using BIS.

Is there any strategy that would allow me to use BIS against IMAP, POP or HTTP mail that would provide true email sync? Or is BES the only way?

And if BES is the only way, then is it correct it will cost me an extra $35/month, like this:
- upgrade from BIS to BES, +$15/month on Cingular
- subscribe to a hosted exchange service, ~$10/month
- get the BES adder on exchange, ~$10/month

Thanks?

Last edited by jg70124; 05-10-2007 at 01:47 PM..
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

You are correct on the BIS Syncing. Only way (at least that I know of) is to use BES. Getting PUSH email is an easy workaround, but Reconciling is specific to BES to my knowledge.

And you should only be paying $44.99/mo on Cingular for the unlimited Blackberry package. There isn't a difference to them between BES and BIS. Mine was labelled Unlimited Blackberry BIS but I used a hosted BES and paid that same with no overage/odd charges.

As for the Hosted BES- your numbers are right on. The averages between the well known companies (Link2Exchange, ExchangeMyMail, and TheMessageCenter) are around:
$9.95/mo for ~200mb of Exchange storage
$9.95/mo for BES hosting
--The difference may come in the activation costs.

I personally use Link2Exchange, and pay a total of $21.95/mo for 400mb Exchange hosting, BES, and Postini Advanced Email Filtering (its a great filter). I have had no experience with the other providers, but I can say L2E has been wonderful. It's worth the money to have everything sync'ed OTA, and have the support I need.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not above being corrected), but isn't BIS 2.3 supposed to solve this for Yahoo and Gmail at least?

More info here (note that release date is now rumored to be 5/17 in US): BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 2.3 launches today : The Boy Genius Report
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
FroogleThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not above being corrected), but isn't BIS 2.3 supposed to solve this for Yahoo and Gmail at least?

More info here (note that release date is now rumored to be 5/17 in US): BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 2.3 launches today : The Boy Genius Report
Nice find!

But that sucks. Now my fiance will know when I delete those emails with "On your way home" before reading them.

Hopefully along with Read/Delivery receipts, it'll have a function to just NOT respond to them.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
jg70124
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: Cin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
And you should only be paying $44.99/mo on Cingular for the unlimited Blackberry package. There isn't a difference to them between BES and BIS. Mine was labelled Unlimited Blackberry BIS but I used a hosted BES and paid that same with no overage/odd charges.
Actually, I see that Cing's "BB Personal Plan" (unlimited, BIS only) is $29.99, and their "BB Unlimited" (BES) plan is $39.99. So it's really a $10 difference, not a $15 difference.

I'm currently using a Treo with Chatter against an IMAP server, and my total data charge is $20/month. It's hard for me to justify spending an additional $40/month to switch to BB BES, although I'm really getting tired of crappy Palm OS.

So the news about BIS 2.3 is good for me - guess I'll have to go get a gmail account...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
FroogleThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
Actually, I see that Cing's "BB Personal Plan" (unlimited, BIS only) is $29.99, and their "BB Unlimited" (BES) plan is $39.99. So it's really a $10 difference, not a $15 difference.

I'm currently using a Treo with Chatter against an IMAP server, and my total data charge is $20/month. It's hard for me to justify spending an additional $40/month to switch to BB BES, although I'm really getting tired of crappy Palm OS.

So the news about BIS 2.3 is good for me - guess I'll have to go get a gmail account...
Ohhhhhh. So THAT'S why the rep asked me whether I'd be using it on a server or not. This was a while ago though. Amazing how much you learn in such a short time. Still wonder why my bill was labelled Unlimited BIS though.

I was never offered a BIS Personal plan. :( But even so, probably a good thing. It all boils down to cost-justification. Some people get these things just to quench that instant-gratification thirst, but others actually need it and can justify paying the extra money.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You get a lot more with BES than just full reconciliation. Whether or not those added features are worthwhile to you really depend on your needs. I personally consider wireless sync a big plus among other things.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-10-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Closed Thread