Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
JonRaw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Monopoly for BB by BPlay

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen a few threads sprinkled here and on PinStack inquiring as to the availability of Monopoly for the BB.

I have been on the lookout for it as well. Monopoly is a fun game to while some time away but not very convenient, until now. I went ahead and dropped the $10 at BPlay based on some of the screenshots. I was not dissapointed.

The interface is EXCELLENT, and the game rules are able to be customized easily depending on which variation of Monopoly you may have grown up with. All the game pieces are true to the original and animate themselves around the board when you roll. The horse gallops, the iron slides, the race car peels out, etc. Very nice.

There is also a nice 'status' screen which will show you at a glance the properties owned by you, the other players, and the Bank. Trades and bids are also included.

Anyway, this is certainly not an in-depth review, but if you have any questions, feel free to msg me before you drop the 10-spot, although I doubt you will be dissapointed.

I would strongly recommend this game to anyone who likes Monopoly.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Cool, just one big question, are you able to play against another person with another BB?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
JonRaw

I don't believe so. But it appears that you can share your Blackberry with, say a seat companion on a plane, and the two of you can pass it back and forth. When you start the game you select the number of players and then deem them "human" or "computer". I see nothing about interfacing with other BBs. It probably wouldn't work real well anyway. Monopoly tends to be a loooong game if you play it correctly.

To sum it up, I only wanted to play computer opponents, so this is not a big deal for me. It's just what I wanted.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I don't believe so. But it appears that you can share your Blackberry with, say a seat companion on a plane, and the two of you can pass it back and forth. When you start the game you select the number of players and then deem them "human" or "computer". I see nothing about interfacing with other BBs. It probably wouldn't work real well anyway. Monopoly tends to be a loooong game if you play it correctly.

To sum it up, I only wanted to play computer opponents, so this is not a big deal for me. It's just what I wanted.
if this is the Magmic people they do that with Chess. Chess is a long game as well and the network support is awesome. It would be amazing for monopoly and most games really ;)
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
JonRaw

I suppose so... they are both turn-based games, but Monopoly definitely has more 'commands' per turn than chess. In one turn, you can roll the dice, buy a property, build a house/hotel, offer a trade, mortgage a property, and other things as well... to me it would seem a bit clunky, unless there were a text status field which said "(other player) performed the following actions: (A,B,C)". That might take up some screen real estate and slow the game down dramatically.

(If you buy the game and go through the trade process, you'll see what I'm talking about. You can offer combinations of cash and properties, the other players can counteroffer, and so on)

That being said, my wife tells me I am generally wrong about everything, so you may very well have some valid points.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I suppose so... they are both turn-based games, but Monopoly definitely has more 'commands' per turn than chess. In one turn, you can roll the dice, buy a property, build a house/hotel, offer a trade, mortgage a property, and other things as well... to me it would seem a bit clunky, unless there were a text status field which said "(other player) performed the following actions: (A,B,C)". That might take up some screen real estate and slow the game down dramatically.

(If you buy the game and go through the trade process, you'll see what I'm talking about. You can offer combinations of cash and properties, the other players can counteroffer, and so on)

That being said, my wife tells me I am generally wrong about everything, so you may very well have some valid points.

You bring up some good points. I think everything would be fine except for the trades. And in those occurences you make an offer then they either accept or decline
Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
MagmicGames
Platinum Sponsors

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Lots

Hey Guys,

I was just about to make a promo post about the game, when you posted it here before I hit the submit button.

Build your empire in high style with the world's most popular game.

Download here:

http://www.bplay.com/dl/Monopoly

It's the Classic Board Game! Start buying and trading real estate, utilities and railroads, but don't forget to keep some money aside for rent, taxes and fines. From Park Place to Baltic Avenue, MONOPOLY comes alive on your phone with state-of-the-art animation and easy controls.

Play with up to 4 players at once, with a variety of house rules to be enabled, such as money on Free Parking, Properties at the Start, Auctions, and more!

Bplay and Magmic offer this game for $8.99 USD

You can download the game from this link, either from your mobile browser or from your personal computer:

http://www.bplay.com/dl/Monopoly

Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
MagmicGames
Platinum Sponsors

Now, on to some of the questions brought up.

Is it Multiplayer like Magmic's Medieval Kings Chess 2?

No.

Why not?

The mobile version of Monopoly was originally created by a company called Glu, and Bplay is the company that ported the game to work on the BlackBerry device.

Bplay is not allowed to rewrite the game and add more features to certain games it has the license to. Sorry.

Please?

Maybe in the future. You never know when more Mobile Game Developers are going to create more and more multiplayer games. Magmic's been doing it for 4 years, and there are other companies that are starting to include networked highscores in their games. Keep your fingers crossed as the mobile game market evolves!
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
brianjmolinar

Model: 7250

Will there be a version that will work on a 7250 anytime soon?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
evilcaptain
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

I bought the game yesterday and I love it. I wished there is an option to NOT have animation. It would make the game go faster and be less of a battery drain. I played a 4 player game consisting of 3 computer players on easy and it took me 2 hours to complete the game. My battery was almost dead. It had a little more than half before I started the game.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmicGames View Post

No.

Why not?

The mobile version of Monopoly was originally created by a company called Glu, and Bplay is the company that ported the game to work on the BlackBerry device.

Bplay is not allowed to rewrite the game and add more features to certain games it has the license to. Sorry.

Please?

Maybe in the future. You never know when more Mobile Game Developers are going to create more and more multiplayer games. Magmic's been doing it for 4 years, and there are other companies that are starting to include networked highscores in their games. Keep your fingers crossed as the mobile game market evolves!

I love the multiplayer games. PLEEEASE make more of those.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

No.

Why not?

Please?

why no trial?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
MagmicGames
Platinum Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmolinar View Post
Will there be a version that will work on a 7250 anytime soon?
Probably not. I think it's pretty safe to say that Bplay and Magmic will not be supporting NEW games on the 7250, 7280, 7290, 7520, and the 7100 series devices, though this isn't the Official Announcement (tm) about those devices being retired.

We will continue to support the 7130, 8700, and the latest, the 8100, 8300, and 8800 series BlackBerry Devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
why no trial?
All licensed games do not have a trial period.

This includes:
Bookworm
Call of Duty 3
Chuzzle
Dance Dance Revolution
Deer Hunter 2
Destroy All Humans 2
Duckshot
DUOtris
Frogger
Golden Tee Golf Mobile Edge
Monopoly
Monopoly Tycoon 2007
NFL Gridiron
Stratego
Top Gun 3
Transformers
Wallbreaker 2 Reloaded
World Poker Tour - Texas Hold'em
Worms 2007
Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Probably not. I think it's pretty safe to say that Bplay and Magmic will not be supporting NEW games on the 7250, 7280, 7290, 7520, and the 7100 series devices, though this isn't the Official Announcement (tm) about those devices being retired.

We will continue to support the 7130, 8700, and the latest, the 8100, 8300, and 8800 series BlackBerry Devices.

All licensed games do not have a trial period.

This includes:
Bookworm
Call of Duty 3
Chuzzle
Dance Dance Revolution
Deer Hunter 2
Destroy All Humans 2
Duckshot
DUOtris
Frogger
Golden Tee Golf Mobile Edge
Monopoly
Monopoly Tycoon 2007
NFL Gridiron
Stratego
Top Gun 3
Transformers
Wallbreaker 2 Reloaded
World Poker Tour - Texas Hold'em
Worms 2007
I read that but I asked why? I am not gonna buy a product I cant try first
Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
mansa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I read that but I asked why? I am not gonna buy a product I cant try first
I assume that the license Bplay has to sell those games in the first place also has fine print that says you're not allowed to have a free demo of the game.

Video game companies usually don't let other people view their contacts that they have with other companies.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Good point, but would you buy a car without test driving it? or would you marry someone without dating them? It is always comforting to feel something out before commiting 100% to it.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Wait for others to buy, try and review - then. $9 each for a lot of these seems to be a pretty competitive price, all things considered. I'm not relying on these games to get me back and forth to work reliably nor am I concerned that they will be sociopathic, so (IMO) I could take or leave the trial at this price point.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

I wish someone would post some screen captures and review on this game.

Last edited by plchan; 08-28-2007 at 03:11 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
SCODonnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: the_tail_on_the_donkey
Carrier: Sprint
Default Ask and ye shall receive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
I wish someone would post some screen captures and review on this game.
House Rules (getting started):

Taking a turn (human player):

Status (who has what):

Trade:

Buying Houses:

Auction:

Chance:

As for a review, I've only had it a couple of days so far, but I really enjoy it. I was truly surprised at the detail in the graphics. The animation gets a little old after awhile, though. You can pick how difficult the opponents are (easy or hard), and configure the game itself in the House Rules screen.

Overall, I'd give it huge kudos and well worth the $9.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Good point, but would you buy a car without test driving it? or would you marry someone without dating them? It is always comforting to feel something out before commiting 100% to it.
my thoughts exactly

(7000)

Last edited by Dawg; 08-28-2007 at 04:09 PM..
Closed Thread