Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default The RIM cell phone, *CHARM*

Please Login to Remove!

Here are some pictures of the product code named "Charmed"

No details have yet been released as to specs or software, but wheres the keyboard?

It appears to have a largers lcd then most cell phones out there, and since a area at the bottom is blocked out, it looks like its already in the testing stages (with network providers)

Whats your take?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
kavione

If there's not keyboard on it then there's no reason for me to buy it and it's useless. But for those that want more of a smart phone and less of a messaging device, then I can see the justification.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavione
If there's not keyboard on it then there's no reason for me to buy it and it's useless. But for those that want more of a smart phone and less of a messaging device, then I can see the justification.
Well, apparently the phone has 2 Letters per button combination, which if done right could work.. but I still doubt it.. They keyboard is one of the main reasons anyone buys a Blackberry.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Just keep in mind that a number of other phone manufacturers have licensed the Blackberry email system, and will be offering Blckberry service on more consumer oriented phones. So, if you lose the unique keyboard, I'm really not sure what you still have left that makes RIM devices unique. For example, and I hate to plug anyone other than RIM, take a look at the SK65 from Siemens. While it is a very strange looking device while typing (an X-Wing), it looks really cool in many other respects. Worth noting, however, that according to Siemens customer care they have no current plans to market the device to North America.

Then you have the Treo 600 that will have Blackberry Service, and the Nokia (yikes, I forgot the model number...6280?), etc.

I just wish RIM had come out with a more creative keyboard design, something along the lines of the Delta II http://www.chicagologic.com/demo_d2.gif

Ian
Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
berry_apps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can't say I'm a fan of the delta II design...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #6
kirson

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_apps
Can't say I'm a fan of the delta II design...
I agree that it's not perfect, but imagine the Delta II type solution on well created Blackberry style keys -- perhaps even alternating the diagonal between the even and odd lines -- in other words, imagin a balackberry keyboard, cut in half, shifted down half a row, and copressed together so that the QWERT is above the YUIOP, or something along those lines. I suspect RIM could make it REALLY attractive, and look a lot like today's keyboards.

Just my $0.02

Ian
Old 08-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
berry_apps
Thumbs Must Hurt

RIM has always bosted the fact of the QWERTY keyboard on their device. With this new device I can't see them putting something out their that reduces the quality of the device.....

my 2 cents...wow we are at 4 cents now :D
Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
kirson

We're getting back to the realm of:

"we really should wait and see the device in action before we decide if we like it or not"

:D :D :D

However, to get my quota up to $0.04, you are making the point many of us are trying to make (in a round-a-bout way) -- namely, RIM has always made such a point of having the super dooper patented technology QWERTY keyboard, that it seems like a misserable failure to introduce a keyboard with 2 letters per key that will almost by necessity require some sort of auto complete feature to work well.

$0.04 and counting...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
berry_apps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer
Old 08-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
PatrickBDunlap

I agree with others that unless it has a keyboard, it is not as useful. I am also a Palm user but my corp does not buy the palms with the keyboard which I think is rather silly.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #11
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBDunlap
I agree with others that unless it has a keyboard, it is not as useful. I am also a Palm user but my corp does not buy the palms with the keyboard which I think is rather silly.
Agreed.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #12
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

I used palm for years, I got used to the grafitti way of things. Once I got the BB 7210 a while ago, it took a LOT of getting used to for me, not having a stylus. Personally I think it'd be nice to have dual function, kind of like the Sony Clie NR series, had the qwerty keyboard AND a stylus, allowing input for however you wished. My biggest complaint is the jog dial on the BB, which is where I think a stylus would be nice, along with the qwerty keyboard. Just my .02 worth ;)

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 08-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #13
kirson

You know, it's been years since I used my Palm Pro and months since I used my iPaq and to be honest, I really don't miss the stylus much. It seems to me that on my 7230 I have the perfect input/entry system. The only time I miss a stylus is when I want to doodle or jot down a quick note or phone number in free-form. I think the required technology just doesn't justify the cost and reliability hit that would be entailed. Perhaps in a few more months you'll stop feeling the need for a stylus
Old 08-17-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

lol everyone at work says the same. But I don't know, I've grown a second nature to whip out the styuls, hit what I need, drop down the edit menu, put it back and type what I need. Although I'm sure you're right, I will grow out of it soon enough lol.

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
udontknowjack

Carrier: T-Mobile

Has any of you seen the Charm? I doubt it. Don't think RIM isn't going to put out a quality product. Anyone that has access to it isn't talking as they are keeping it tight lipped. Take my word for it, it will be a great device. Quite frankly, I'm surprised RIM hasn't contact you guys to remove the picture. They did on Howard Forums.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #16
kirson

Good points, all. Obviously, none of us has even seen a glimpse of the device. Still, in the absense of fact, we must resort to conjecture

I think that most of us here agree that RIM has typically made rock-solid, top-notch products. We are also the folks that go out and spend big bucks on those products and build up the pro-sumer base RIM is targetting. So, we are just sitting around, passing time, waiting for RIM to give us some actual facts or figures to discuss. And based on what little we've seen, well, some of us fear that RIM has messed up this keyboard design.

No disrespect ever intended!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #17
Tom
Admin & Founder

My Inside source has infromed me that some of the RIM employees have received CHARM, Therefore network testing appears to be in its completing stages and the product should be released shortly.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:58 AM   #18
Skive

Your logic doesn't follow since realistically rim will be using their employees as an existing pool of beta testers so them having hardware doesn't indicate a timeframe, a far more likely reason to think its on the way fairly soon is that the carriers will want it in the shops in plenty of time for xmas since its more consumer-orientated than previous blackberries.

Also, if you think that a tech company will give testing enough time to finish before they start handing them out to marketting etc. then you haven't worked in many businesses. They will probably still be testing it up until or more likely after the time when they submit it to the carrier for approval. :twisted:
Old 08-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #19
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skive
Your logic doesn't follow since realistically rim will be using their employees as an existing pool of beta testers so them having hardware doesn't indicate a timeframe, a far more likely reason to think its on the way fairly soon is that the carriers will want it in the shops in plenty of time for xmas since its more consumer-orientated than previous blackberries.

Also, if you think that a tech company will give testing enough time to finish before they start handing them out to marketting etc. then you haven't worked in many businesses. They will probably still be testing it up until or more likely after the time when they submit it to the carrier for approval. :twisted:
Skive,
I was informed of this by RIM employees, and there have been rumors thats its already been submited to carriers for network approval.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #20
Skive

I'm not arguing about that it isn't heading towards release, but realistically rim employees having them is not proof of that since plenty of them will have had them for a while since they are basically a captive pool of beta testers, even if the ones you talk to are too stupid to understand the initials nda anyway. :lol:
Closed Thread