Imcrackedout
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
Actually this is my 3rd holster. One of the ears broke off on the original and I received a warranty replacement. Right now the 2nd holster is holding my phone rather firmly and I have tested #3 and have found it to hold it just as tightly.

I threw away the original so I can't compare it to the newer ones.

Bill J
My phone fell out 2 times today, hard to compare because I work outdoors and I bounce around everywhere in and out of heavy equipment. I am sure for most people it will hold fine, for me I need a ful phone wrapping holster to keep it with me for the day.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
technotex

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Back on point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
So, today I finally upgraded to the 9700. YAY!

But now, after getting the new device set-up, all my data and apps transferred over, etc, I'm having some weird issues. First off, the basic information that I know everyone's going to ask for:

This is a 9700 Bold 2 on T-Mobile, it came preloaded with OS version 5.0.0.714, and my installed 3rd party apps are YouMail Visual Voicemail, Weatherbug, Traffic, Facebook, BlackBerry App World, Dictionary.Com and PayPal.

And I also had the "phantom new message alert", where after a reboot, a new message chime sounded, and the red LED was blinking, but there was no new message or alert ANYWHERE on the device. Anyone have any clues what was going on there?

And lastly, why doesn't the thing lock the keys when I put it in the holster?

EDIT: Well, I tried deleting Opera Mini and d/ling and installing it one more time... NOW it's decided to work. So that problem's solved... I guess? And the new message alert went away... Still upset about the no locking keys bit, though.
The new message alert indicator and tone are caused by YouMail. When you restart the handset (battery pull) the app restarts and sees the most recent unopened YouMail entry as new and triggers the alerts.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation Re: Just got the BlackBerry 9700 today, having weird issues...

Quote:
I have had my 9700 Defender case for less than a month and I am on my 2nd holster. I broke one of the ears off of the first. I have also been in contact with Otter Box regarding the badly designed holster. They are expecting production to be complete on a new design shortly. Unfortunately they do not have the ability to keep a list of people who need the new holster (No pens and paper?) so I keep checking with them weekly. I suggest you do the same. IMCRACKEDOUT is correct, mine falls out with very little effort once the ears get broken in.

Bill J
Quote:
UPDATE! I just received word from Otter Box that the newly designed 9700 Defender holster is expected to be released this week. They have ordered me one that will ship as soon as they come in. This is good news as I am heading out for vacation in less than 3 weeks and I didn't want to have to worry about losing my phone while touring.

Bill J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcrackedout View Post
Thanks for letting us know!.
Just got off the phone with customer service, and my new holster should be here in 7-10 bis days. I'm hoping it stands the test of time!
Quote:
I received mine on Friday and it looked identical to the old one so I questioned my contact at Otter Box and here is his reply:

The design of the holster has not changed. The design problem that caused the device to become loose has been corrected, however.

I'm not sure what that means but I will give the new holster a try.

Bill J
It's taken a lot longer for me, because I only use the plastic holster in the car. I keep it clipped on my visor and only use it while I'm driving. The last few days, it's been feeling a little looser, so tonight I pulled it off the visor and had a look. Tell-tale cracks on one "ear" show that it's close to breaking off completely. Should I even bother asking Otterbox to send me a new one? Have you guys had any luck with the newer unit lasting longer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by technotex View Post
The new message alert indicator and tone are caused by YouMail. When you restart the handset (battery pull) the app restarts and sees the most recent unopened YouMail entry as new and triggers the alerts.
Thanks for the heads up. Seems YouMail must have finally figured out that the Visual Voicemail app was causing phantom alerts, because that problem finally went away after one of the most recent updates. The newest versions of the program eliminated that flaw.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #24
Imcrackedout
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus
Default Re: Just got the BlackBerry 9700 today, having weird issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
It's taken a lot longer for me, because I only use the plastic holster in the car. I keep it clipped on my visor and only use it while I'm driving. The last few days, it's been feeling a little looser, so tonight I pulled it off the visor and had a look. Tell-tale cracks on one "ear" show that it's close to breaking off completely. Should I even bother asking Otterbox to send me a new one? Have you guys had any luck with the newer unit lasting longer? Thanks for the heads up. Seems YouMail must have finally figured out that the Visual Voicemail app was causing phantom alerts, because that problem finally went away after one of the most recent updates. The newest versions of the program eliminated that flaw.
Just to let you know...... I am on holster number 5!
What a terrible design, the ears keep breaking on me. My friend just got the latest curve and his defenders holster looks more like the older ones with a deep pocket, and the ears are much taller, way better design imo.

I called otterbox and they sent me 3, yes three new holsters! if that doesn't indicate a bad design, I dont know what does?
So, with these three, which I should burn through in about 3 months, I will be up to number 7 in less than 8 months. Just call them, they will send more to you. When I done with this batch, I will get something different.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
wjereb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES
Default Re: Just got the BlackBerry 9700 today, having weird issues...

Definitely call them. I have one of their "new" designs and after awhile they loosen up. I am calling them next week to get another.This is my first and last Otterbox case.

Bill J
If someone helps you, hit the Thanks button!
Closed Thread