BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
8700 JO

Model: 8700c
Default Newbie - BIS Email Probs

Please Login to Remove!

I am completely new about this so bear with me. I've been reading the site for a few days but haven't quite got the answers I need.

I have had my 8700 from cingular for a couple of weeks now. I want to receive work emails which are on Microsoft Exchange. I set up a rule in Outlook to redirect the emails to my [email address] address but I wasn't getting all of the emails, so I changed the rule to forwarding the emails. I'm still not getting all of them and the ones I am getting are duplicated about 3 times, it is usually 2 forwards and one that isn't. What rule do I need to create in Outlook for this to work? What am I missing for this to work?

Easy on the acronyms, like I said, very new at this.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: VZW

have you asked your admins at work if they have a blackberry enterprise server (BES). if so, you might as them if you can have an account.. they should be able to guide you through all of that.

as far as using outlook to do the forwarding.. im not really sure. but if the BES option doesnt play out for you i would ask the mail admins if they can create a rule in your account to send a copy of all incoming mail to your mycingular.blackberr.net account (make sure you let them know you still want to have access via outlook->exchange) otherwise they may assume you don't want your mail hosted on the exchange server but rather just a forward put in place. i hope that makes sense.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Wirelessly posted (7100i: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Or try to set up in BIS using Mail Connector
Old 06-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
8700 JO

There is a BES, but they will not set up a profile for me because it's a personell BB. What is the difference in me creating a rule in Outlook and the mail admins creating one. I have a laptop and travel with it so I can't leave it on.

What is BIS Connector? Is the problem because my mail is on a Microsoft Exchange, if it was say yahoo or hotmail would it work? There has to be a way.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
tonydrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300c
Carrier: Cingular

the reason for the duplicate emails is probably because you have forwarding set up, and also have POP set on your BIS. So it's sending you the forwarded copy, then polling and sending you the POP copy. If that's not it, then I have no idea.

[my mp3 clips]
Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
8700 JO

So what do I need to do to turn off the POP. Or do I need to delete the rule?

Also, last night I recieved 8-10 of those emails that says not to delete that this is an email that carries data between my heldhand and a server. What's going on?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

If they have exchange, just set up the redirector on your work desktop and leave it running all the time.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
8700 JO

I only have a laptop.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

1) the emails asking you not to delete are due to redirector not running. As you have a laptop first thing would be to reinstall Desktop Manager choosing the BIS option - not BES. Then delete the desktop service books from your handheld

2) have your IT set up a forwarding rule on the Exchange server to your [email address] address. This will ensure you get all your email AND it won't be forwarded from yourself. Once you do this remove any rules that you have set up in your Outlook to send the email to your handheld. Also, change your "reply to" address for your BIS account to be your Exchange account

3) Mail connector is not an option as you have a laptop - liek redirector it needs to be running @ all times

4) The only other ways to get your Exchange email to your handheld (if your IT won't do a forwarding rule) is POP or IMAP access - again your IT will need to agree w/ this as they will need to enable it for you - or using your Outlook Web Access

5) if you have more then 1 of the above running at 1 time you will get duplicates

Hope this helps
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
8700 JO

Thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled the desktop manager and made sure I choose BIS. How do I delete the desktop service books?

What is the difference from me setting up a rule in outlook and IT setting up a rule?

How will I use the Outlook web access? What will that do for me?

sorry guys, very new at this.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

to delete service books go into options -> advanced options -> service books
highlight anything that says desktop; click the track wheel and delete

the difference between you setting up the Outlook rulle and your IT:
- from your IT your email arrives as it would in Outlook ; w/ the original sender's address and subject. This means that when you reply you'll reply to the original sender
- from your Outlook your email arrives as if you sent it to yourself and has FW: in the subject. This means that when you reply you'll reply to yourself - not the original sender

Outlook Web Access basically allows you to check the email from your Exhange account when your out of the office. It's one of the ways that you can get your BlackBerry to retreive your email.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
8700 JO

If IT will not set up the rule, will the rule still work in outlook, even though it will be from my work account instead the actually sender? What if I changed the rule back to redirect vs. forward. What would be the difference?

So if none of this works I could just log on to the internet through web oulook and access my email that way,
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

i'm not sure what the difference would be between redirect vs forward from your Outlook - i've never set either up

and you wouldn't log on to the internetet to check your email. IF your work has Outlook Web Access set up you can sign into your BIS account; choose to create a new account and add your Exchange account using your Outlook Web Access settings. Then you'll get your email every 15 mins from there
Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
If they have exchange, just set up the redirector on your work desktop and leave it running all the time.
hi all. i have the 8700g Tmobile. my work has BES and i asked the IT guy today if he could hook mine up (off the record) but he said he couldn't. i am a sales manager assistant and would really like to get this connected.

i am not familiar enough with this particular outlook feature so could you be so kind to write me step by step instructions on how to do this?

please remember, i am not on, and will never be on BES but i do have BIS (4.0 i believe) on my BB. i'm not sure if you will need any other info from me but if you do please let me know.

i know people a couple people on my team had an ex co-worker set their BB's up but they don't know what he did. he did ask me once if i wanted my BB hooked up to receive work emails but i declined at the time, thnking that it would be too overwhelming. so i know it has been done for sure but i don't know what method he used. the others don't have BB's anymore so i can't look to see if they are all forwarded emails.

thanks you very much for your time.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
illmaticone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

you can add your account to BIS as u would with any POP. when you put ur e-mail address it will realize after a few minutes of "processing" it is not an pop account. it will ask you what it is" thats when u select Exchange, and enter ur OWA site, and ur domain/username/password information. this way u dont need a dedicated pc on to forward ur e-mails. it will show up on ur device just like ur [email address]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmaticone
you can add your account to BIS as u would with any POP. when you put ur e-mail address it will realize after a few minutes of "processing" it is not an pop account. it will ask you what it is" thats when u select Exchange, and enter ur OWA site, and ur domain/username/password information. this way u dont need a dedicated pc on to forward ur e-mails. it will show up on ur device just like ur [email address]
was this to me? i don't understand what any of that means assuming you were writing to me. thanks though.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
shaun944
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I believe what they mean is that, if your IT dept will not install a server-side command to forward emails to your cingular.bb email, then you can go to the cingular site (I'm on Tmo, but I'm sure its the same deal) and simply go to 'add an email account' to you bb phone.

Then you just need to enter in your email address, your login/pw info, and perhaps the name of your mail server (which is easy to get) and it should recognize that its not a POP account, when it does, you should be able to select that it is an Exchange account, and after that, it should forward to your phone just like if you had a yahoo, sbcglobal, gmail, or any other account.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun944
I believe what they mean is that, if your IT dept will not install a server-side command to forward emails to your cingular.bb email, then you can go to the cingular site (I'm on Tmo, but I'm sure its the same deal) and simply go to 'add an email account' to you bb phone.

Then you just need to enter in your email address, your login/pw info, and perhaps the name of your mail server (which is easy to get) and it should recognize that its not a POP account, when it does, you should be able to select that it is an Exchange account, and after that, it should forward to your phone just like if you had a yahoo, sbcglobal, gmail, or any other account.
Thank you. Please tell me how i can get the Mail Server name in Outlook at work. I understand the rest of the instructions. I am on TMO by the way. Thanks, I'm looking forward to having this setup. I will finally be using the BB to its fullest potential.

**I am at work now here in front of my Outlook. I can't find the Mail Server name anywehre. Please help!** Thanks

Last edited by TBC; 10-05-2006 at 04:06 PM..
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 PM   #19
shaun944
Knows Where the Search Button Is

sorry TBC, just saw your post now,

if you are in outlook, go to TOOLS > E-Mail Accounts

it might pop up with a wizard, just click on the 'edit existing account' option

then it should list your email accounts and it should say "microsoft exchange server" If you click on the "CHange" button, it should pop up a box where it lists your exchange server address xxxx.exch1.xxxxx.com for example.

If you're on Tmo though, you might not even need it. Just try adding an email account from your My Tmobile page and enter in your email address and your login/pw and it may work - I haven't done it for an exchange server so I don't know though.

hope this helps, but if you blow anything up, don't blame me :D
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #20
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun944
sorry TBC, just saw your post now,

if you are in outlook, go to TOOLS > E-Mail Accounts

it might pop up with a wizard, just click on the 'edit existing account' option

then it should list your email accounts and it should say "microsoft exchange server" If you click on the "CHange" button, it should pop up a box where it lists your exchange server address xxxx.exch1.xxxxx.com for example.

If you're on Tmo though, you might not even need it. Just try adding an email account from your My Tmobile page and enter in your email address and your login/pw and it may work - I haven't done it for an exchange server so I don't know though.

hope this helps, but if you blow anything up, don't blame me :D
No worries. Thank you for getting back to me Shaun.

We have a problem. I tried adding my email account on mytmobile.com as well as on my BB (setup internet email). I add my email/password (i just use the password for my computer, I dont' have a specific one for Outlook).

Then i get a pop-up that says we cannot configure this email account and I click "I always use Outlookxxx8482; to access my e-mail account "

Then... I get all of this...

"The Mail Connector allows you to access your corporate e-mail from your handheld.

Download and Install

Download and install this software to a computer that is always on and connected to your corporate network (e.g. Do not download it to a laptop computer that you take with you when you travel). This software requires Internet Explorer version 4.0 or higher.

You may be prompted with a security warning dialog and/or an Internet Explorer information bar near the top of your browser before you can proceed. You may be required to accept a security dialog and/or install the ActiveX control.

To install the ActiveX control:
1. Click the Internet Explorer information bar.
2. Select "Install ActiveX control".

Connect to a Shared Mail Connector

If a co-worker has already downloaded the Mail Connector, you can use their installation rather than downloading the Mail Connector yourself- freeing you up to take your laptop with you when you travel. Click "Connect to Shared" below to connect to a shared Mail Connector."

Now I'm confused.

When I went into Outlook under Tools...I did not see any Email Accounts

Am I suppose to POP the Exchange to my BB? Because choosing the Exchange option only leads me to the above.

Thanks again for your reply and help. I really need some help now. hahaha

Last edited by TBC; 10-06-2006 at 05:07 AM..
Closed Thread