BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
dwdmguy@optonline.net

Model: 8703
Default Would u plz help this newbie (Mac user) ?

Please Login to Remove!

Thank you very much for looking, I've searched the forums but can't narrow down what I want to ask so again, thank you.

I just today got my 8703 after my 2nd Treo 700p failed in two months.
Here's what I've got and what I've like to do....

I am a Mac user for both desktop and laptop. Giving up the Treo also made me give up my TomTom Navigator. I used a seperate GPS lil' unit and bluetooth to the treo.

I'd like to use a software product in the 8703 and use my GPS module so not to spend the extra money for GPS services.

I have to option of "upgrading" my missing Sync software for $19 so I can sync the blackberry to my Address book and iCal.
Is there any other option for Mac users. I know I can load Windoze on my Intel Mac but that just does'nt make sense to me.

I am thinking about getting the internet package so I can use my Mac Powerbook via the bb modem for internet. How is it? Can someone or several of you give your comments? What else is cool for a techy lover?

So, that's how I'd like to start my bb journey.
Can you help please?
Again,
THANK YOU

Last edited by dwdmguy@optonline.net; 04-07-2007 at 06:15 PM..
Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
elcivic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Welcome to the world of BB and mac, or as I call it, Hell. If all you want to do is sync basic adress book and ical, just use Pocketmac. Its free and does just about only that. Some ppl have bugs with the ical, but it works great for me. Go to BB site and download it, give a go.
Missing Sync is not bad, It has easy itunes and iphoto linking but does not load apps. Pocketmac will, but honestly about 1/2 of the apps you load via OSX will not work properly. (have issues deleting them too).

If a PC option is viable, I would suggest it. Otherwise, dont pay for Missing Sync, give the Pocketmac a go. (stick with address book and ical syncing though)
Old 04-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
dwdmguy@optonline.net

Smile Thank you.....

for you kind reply.
i was just at the sprint store, Found out they have a work around which she is sending me for connection manager to use my MacBook Pro and the bb as a modem.

I'll check out pocket mac now.
Thx again.
Tom
Old 04-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

As you heard before, PM is so-so at best. You can sync contacts, some calendar items, email (kind-of), and notes, but it is not as seamless as iSync. I am a Mac newbie too and am surprised that RIM does not truly support OSX yet, even though they claim to have taken over PM development.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
dwdmguy@optonline.net

Default Tech help coming

My salesgirl at Sprint is getting a bunch of information from Tech engineering for Mac. My concern is that Sprint does not seem to have support for the Connection Mgr to use the bb as a broadband modem.

She told me they do now have a work around (i hate that) and will be forwarding me same.

Tom
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
dwdmguy@optonline.net

I tried the Pocket Mac. Not really that cool. Can't xfer / sync my bookmarks, it does tell me to install the "add on software" which I did sucessfully but still wont sync.
My new contact that I added the in bb will not show up in Address book. Mac users now own 8 pct of the PC market, you'd think that RIM would be all over that.

I loved my Treo 700p but I kept getting a bad one whereas the touch screen would go bad. Last one lasted a day.
Closed Thread