BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Jones

Model: 7520
Question Installing Apps

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Nextel BB model 7520...

I want to install some apps on it but my corporate BES doesn't allow 3rd party apps. Which pisses me off to the utmost cause I didn't not get this BB from them.. It is my personal property. So while I'm actively trying to get them to open my blackberry for 3rd party apps...

I was told that I could back the device up...Then "wipe it", install the apps I want, then redo the enterprise activation effectively bypassing the IT policy that's blocking me from installing apps.

My question is 1. Is that true, and if not, then is there a way around the block so that I can install games, apps, etc....

thanks,
-Jones
Old 12-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wiping it does not wipe out the IT Policy.
If you have a restrictive policy on it preventing the installation of third party applications, then you are out of luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Jones - Do you manage your corporate mail through Outlook and does your company have webmail access to that account (Outlook Web Access)? If so, I think the better option would be to manage the corporate mail through the exchange server and Blackberry's BWC. You could then also synch your PIM functions directly with your handheld. This would allow you the freedom to add the 3rd party apps you'd like because your device would no longer be governed by your corporate IT policy AND still receive your company email.

Just a thought...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Jones

Our corp. email and internet access is managed through Perot Systems....all other network functions, domain etc.. are managed by myself and the other network admins here locally.

So if I'm understanding correctly...I could call up Nextel/Sprint and cancel the corp email and use the Blackberry redirectory or some other method to get my corp email effectively taking me off of their restrictive and ridiculous policy?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:43 AM   #5
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Nextel has nothing to do with the corporate email...that's all internal.

If you have the IT policy on your BlackBerry, you can get taken off the BES until the cows come home and you still can't install third party apps. You'd have to get the IT policy removed first (search the forums for an answer).

Also realize that any email you get from your company email address is their property...they can pretty much do what they want with it...including protect it. If they don't want it sent to a BlackBerry and then sent out using another method, that's their option. If the company thinks it's a business need for you to have a BlackBerry, then have them provide you one and use your personal BlackBerry for your personal email.

Zro
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
Nextel has nothing to do with the corporate email...that's all internal.

If you have the IT policy on your BlackBerry, you can get taken off the BES until the cows come home and you still can't install third party apps. You'd have to get the IT policy removed first (search the forums for an answer).

Also realize that any email you get from your company email address is their property...they can pretty much do what they want with it...including protect it. If they don't want it sent to a BlackBerry and then sent out using another method, that's their option. If the company thinks it's a business need for you to have a BlackBerry, then have them provide you one and use your personal BlackBerry for your personal email.

Zro
That is correct, I apologize if I gave that impression. Your wireless service provider has absolutely nothing to do with a corporate-owned BES.

I am assuming the corporation does not have a problem with having email sent to a Blackberry as they have apparently allowed him/her to purchase a personal device and have it added to their BES.

What I'm talking about is having the Blackberry removed from the BES by the corporate (not Nextel) IT department and then accessing his work email via Outlook Web Access.

Assumptions:

1. This person does, in fact, have a personally owned device (as opposed to a partially/fully owned device from his/her company) running on the company's BES,
2. The corporation does not have a problem with him/her receiving work email on a personal mobile device,
3. The corporation is as willing to remove the personal BB from the BES as they are assumed to have been willing to add it in the first place, and
4. That this person can access his/her work email through a web service, like Microsoft Outlook Web Access, or they have a PC at their place of employment that they can leave on all the time that has Outlook/Lotus Notes, etc. managing his email.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Jones

What I meant by calling nextel to cancel the corp email was in effect to call them up and tell them to transfer the account to me (it is currently paid by the company), then of course I would have coporate bes admin take me off their bes and policy. I can then use other means to forward the company email to my blackberry quite easily.

On another note:

If I obtain a copy of BES 4.0 could I create a blank policy and replace the policy on my BB? Would the corporate policy still get copied OTA?
Closed Thread