Old 06-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #441
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
As a side note, I changed (again) to Telstra to use the Today themes, and I am noticing a small increase in radio reception. I needed that because at my house I get very poor reception, usually an SOS symbol, but now I am keeping 1-2 bars. Anyone else getting better reception with Telstra as opposed to T-Mo/Bharti?

My reception seems the same with Telstra as it did with Bharti. Bharti made my BlackBerry much louder and that's the same with Telstra but it seems to me that my speaker phone is a hint clearer sounding with Telstra. Not sure if I am imagining it or not but it just seems to come out sounding much clearer sounding than it did with Bharti.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #442
philhyde

Model: 8700c
Question

Quote:
Go to Add/Remove Programs and delete anything installed as your Desktop Manager software. The new installation will add one for you, and make the process recognize there is an update.
The only application I show under Add/Remove Programs is:

Blackberry Desktop Software 4.1

Do I delete this, or leave it?

Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but does this install void any warranty? Seems like a lot of folks are installing this on brand new devices.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #443
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

No - not the desktop software, leave that there. And yes, it probably does void the warranty, but if you ever need to take it in fo repair or exchange, you can just as easily put the original OS back on, following the same process, and they will never know the difference because it will be exactly as it was when purchased. All of these OS loads are made and issued by RIM, they are just a little different for each carrier, with the same core elements of the OS. So switching them around does zero damage, and they are easily switched back if necessary.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #444
philhyde

Model: 8700c

Thanks!

Installed Telstra OS without incident. Man, the volume is L O U D now!

Another interesting affect. After rebooting, I received an SMS from my wife, who is listed twice in my address book. In alphabetical order, she is listed in a contacted named ICE, and then again under her name beginning with J. The new SMS message appeared from ICE instead of her name as usual. So, the new software is doing some kind of recognition so that the SMS message appears from the contact which appears first alphabetically?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #445
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
... with the same core elements of the OS. So switching them around does zero damage, and they are easily switched back if necessary.
See my mesaage #18 here

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=37778

Yes you can always switch back, but don't be surprised if, in your case, thanks don;t work *quite* as well as they should. Of course you *may* have now issues...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #446
Rick11

Model: 7520

Is there any way to have the Today theme work on a BB 7520? Great graphics.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #447
robg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
Carrier: at&t
Default Consensus

I upgraded to Bharti from the original Cingular OS the other day and I can hold a signal better now. Before it would flip flop between SOS and EDGE. Now all EDGE. All else is gravy. Now I am wondering if Telstra is better. Anybody with an 8700C use both OS's? Which is best?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #448
Seattle18

This may sound odd, or even incorrect, but when I had Cingular OS I had signal issues. I got Bharti and it was about the ame. I got Telstra, and now when using Zen it is a little better, aout 1 bar at my home instead of SOS like on Cingular OS, but when I use the Vodafone Today theme I get 2-3 bars in the same location. I don't know if that is just because each theme reads the signal and places different bars on it or if that theme actually gives me a better signal. I just know that I use Zen most of the time, and when I need to get online or make an important call on my BB, I switch to Voda Today before I do it and I get a more solid signal. FWIW...
Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #449
robg

Model: 8100c

I am by no means a cellphone expert, but that sounds crazy. I would think the radio would be controlled by the OS stack, kinda like the bluetooth stack. Upgrade the radio stack for improved performance I could believe, but change the theme on top of the OS stack and get better performance?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #450
Seattle18

It definitely sounds crazy, but I swear that's what happens. "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."
Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #451
jfkuchta

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Question Zen and Voicemail Shortcut

Upgraded to Telstra and Zen. Thanks Seattle and Jibi. One issue that am currently having is that my shortcut key to voicemail, which used to be accessed by holding the "1" key, no longer works. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Much appreciated and so far a big fan of the upgrade. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #452
jfkuchta

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Cool Temp Work Around for Voicemail Speed Key - Zen

Tried several resets and no go, so as a workaround I created a "Voicemail" contact in my address book and then programmed that number to a key - I programmed it to "V" as I'm a bit of a simp and this is more intuitive for me. Anyway, still curious if anyone knows why the default setup (1/W) does not work after the Telstra/Zen upgrade. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #453
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkuchta
Upgraded to Telstra and Zen. Thanks Seattle and Jibi. One issue that am currently having is that my shortcut key to voicemail, which used to be accessed by holding the "1" key, no longer works. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Much appreciated and so far a big fan of the upgrade. Thanks.
Try searching for a resolution please. I did a search using the words "voicemail speed dial" and found these threads - there are SEVERAL with answers:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/sear...archid=1104073
Old 06-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #454
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch

I've never been good at following instructions. The first time I downloaded the software and tried to install it, I flubbed it.
So, last night, I started from scratch and followed the instructions to the letter. This, in and of itself, is a miracle.
I decided to go with Telstra. Once I got it all done, I went through each of the new themes. I love free themes. Heh. Finally, I put the Zen theme on and saw for myself why folks rave over it. This is exactly what I wanted. Move the icons over (that's how I have it set up on my PC and laptop, as well as my Mac at work) and make the wallpaper more visible, plus the ability to customize which icons went where so specifically and having the most important icons on the screen. That is just awesome. I am a happy camper.

And seattle18, thank you. Not just for all the instructions in one place, but for your wallpaper gallery on your site. I grabbed one of the USAF logos (for now...I may develop a different USMC one that has a slightly different composition and richer color palette). I love, love, love this. The device was awesome to begin with, but being able to make these kinds of modifications so simply just rocks.

BTW, I noticed today that in my office (aka the fortress of metal doom) that the reception is improved since switching to Telstra. I usually get one or two bars in here, but I actually got three bars, sitting at my desk! That is darn near miraculous.

OK. I'm done gushing.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:34 AM   #455
jpresto

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Default upgraded to telstra, trouble installing opera

Hi, I'm having trouble installing Opera OTA now that I moved to Telstra (worked on reg cingular sw..?)

I get a 907 Invalid COD. I can install other apps OK (verichat).

I *think* the Opera browser was fairly large compared to the other apps - could that be causing the issue?

thanks - joe
Old 07-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #456
^iCemaN

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

What should I do if I have Bharti and want to switch to Telstra? Please help?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #457
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^iCemaN
What should I do if I have Bharti and want to switch to Telstra? Please help?
Follow the same instructions, just pay particular attention to step 1a. That deletes the previous version from your PCs installed programs, so when you restart the process with the Telstra, the Bharti will be gone from your PC already.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #458
^iCemaN

Quote:
Follow the same instructions, just pay particular attention to step 1a. That deletes the previous version from your PCs installed programs, so when you restart the process with the Telstra, the Bharti will be gone from your PC already.
Hello again...I don't have BlackBerry v4.1.0...I only have the Blackberry JDE 4.1 and the Blackberry Desktop Software 4.1 in my ADD/REMOVE? What should I do?

Also, I checked this: 6-A. TELSTRA: Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.1.0.309_P2.0.0.133 and rename BlackBerry.alx to BlackBerry.alx.old but i cannot find it...Please Help!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #459
^iCemaN

How can I move my apps with the Bharti ZEN?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #460
^iCemaN

Which ZEN THEME is better? Bharti or Telstra?
Closed Thread