Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #101
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankns
Okay ... I've had the 645 for a week and used it under many different conditions.

And the answer is <drum roll, please> ...

I cannot recomment the unit.

Pros:
Excellent sound quality
Excellent noise reduction
Light weight
Nifty pocket charger/holder

Cons:
Will not stay in holder -- after a few days the connection is no longer strong enough hold unit. Unit falls out frequently and is easy to lose. So much for your investment.
Ear jells do no keep unit in ear -- really must use "ear hook"
Ear hook, jell, and unit become separated too easily -- I've had to hunt for pieces several times
Volume buttons hard to distinguish

Because this has been discussed elsewhere, I called Plantronics to see if there was a "fix" that would keep the unit in the holder. The rep really didn't listen much ... he just sent me a new unit. I'll update the thread if/when the new unit appears improved.

The bottome line for me is that this is another example of a good idea, with good technology that wasn't really tested in day to day use. Marketing won out over engineering. A shame. You could probably "fix" these issues with a little after-market engineering -- some glue here, a little padding there -- but why the heck are we doing that? LOL

F
The same problem of the earpiece not staying in the charger existed with the 640.

Someone here recommended placing some foam tape at the top of the charging holder. I know you shouldn't have to do things like this with a new device but it does work.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #102
rjhouck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c

Quote:
Okay ... I've had the 645 for a week and used it under many different conditions.

And the answer is <drum roll, please> ...

I cannot recomment the unit.

Pros:
Excellent sound quality
Excellent noise reduction
Light weight
Nifty pocket charger/holder

Cons:
Will not stay in holder -- after a few days the connection is no longer strong enough hold unit. Unit falls out frequently and is easy to lose. So much for your investment.
Ear jells do no keep unit in ear -- really must use "ear hook"
Ear hook, jell, and unit become separated too easily -- I've had to hunt for pieces several times
Volume buttons hard to distinguish

Because this has been discussed elsewhere, I called Plantronics to see if there was a "fix" that would keep the unit in the holder. The rep really didn't listen much ... he just sent me a new unit. I'll update the thread if/when the new unit appears improved.

The bottome line for me is that this is another example of a good idea, with good technology that wasn't really tested in day to day use. Marketing won out over engineering. A shame. You could probably "fix" these issues with a little after-market engineering -- some glue here, a little padding there -- but why the heck are we doing that? LOL

F
I agree with you concerning the ear jells. However, over the course of a couple of weeks I played around with the different sized jells and ways of putting them in the ear. I got to a point were they worked pretty well. But I did not want to continue tinkering around so I put on the ear hook to a position that I liked. I then super glued the ear hook. It works great.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #103
blk n blu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonnyk
I also use the Plantronics 510, I think it has excellent sound quality and is very affordable.
The 510 is a nice headset but I have to vote for the Jabra JX10. Excellent sound, small stylish design...a little on the expensive side but well worth it.

[email address]
PIN:401173E1
Old 06-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #104
frankns

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mo

Yes...

I'm off to look for some foam tape. Anyone know where I can find the right stuff?

I've also found that you can "bend" the holder slighty and tighten the fit ... but I would call this bad design, plain and simple.

And I'm voting for super glue on the ear hook too!

F
Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #105
lgreenberg

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Yes...

I'm off to look for some foam tape. Anyone know where I can find the right stuff?

I've also found that you can "bend" the holder slighty and tighten the fit ... but I would call this bad design, plain and simple.

And I'm voting for super glue on the ear hook too!

F
I believe I found the foam tape at my local hardware store. Any hardware store should have it.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:11 AM   #106
frankns

LOL ...

Of course. Ace, where else?

Seriously, I have to admit that the sound quality ALMOST makes up for all the hassles.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #107
heliox8614

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

My two cents from a newbie perspective...

Tried the Plantronics 640 and returned it. The killer for this model (for me) was that issue with the unit not staying connected in the charger. That was the main issue. I loved the SQ, and the unit is comfortable, but for me I think it was too comfortable.
What I mean by that is, the thing never felt secure in my ear. It always felt like it might fall out at any second, even if it wasn't actually going to fall out, it still felt that way.
I don't know how other units would sound under similar circumstances, but I happened to be at an Astros game with my 640, and it didn't handle the crowd noise very well.
My conversation was 8700c to 8700c with both users in the stadium trying to find each other. I eventually turned off the 640 and we had better luck with both of us using just the phones.
I exchanged the 640 for the 510, and I really like the unit. I haven't used it in a similar environment as described above, so direct comparison is difficult.
Overall, I think the 510 is the better unit.
One caveat that is specific to me is that i am a big guy, and have proportionate (to my body size) ears, making the unit not quite fit me the way I believe it would fit the average user. The ear piece is always slipping out of my ear canal. Also, my ears are very close to my head near the top, and this makes putting on the 510 less than intuitive. Most other users won't have the difficulty that I do just getting the unit on their ear, but for me it is problematic... I usually end up using my left hand to pull the tip of my ear out far enough to get the unit on with my right hand.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM   #108
AJL79

Had the 640 and sold it, I got the JX10 and love it.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #109
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliox8614
My two cents from a newbie perspective...

Tried the Plantronics 640 and returned it. The killer for this model (for me) was that issue with the unit not staying connected in the charger. That was the main issue. I loved the SQ, and the unit is comfortable, but for me I think it was too comfortable.
What I mean by that is, the thing never felt secure in my ear. It always felt like it might fall out at any second, even if it wasn't actually going to fall out, it still felt that way.
I don't know how other units would sound under similar circumstances, but I happened to be at an Astros game with my 640, and it didn't handle the crowd noise very well.
My conversation was 8700c to 8700c with both users in the stadium trying to find each other. I eventually turned off the 640 and we had better luck with both of us using just the phones.
I exchanged the 640 for the 510, and I really like the unit. I haven't used it in a similar environment as described above, so direct comparison is difficult.
Overall, I think the 510 is the better unit.
One caveat that is specific to me is that i am a big guy, and have proportionate (to my body size) ears, making the unit not quite fit me the way I believe it would fit the average user. The ear piece is always slipping out of my ear canal. Also, my ears are very close to my head near the top, and this makes putting on the 510 less than intuitive. Most other users won't have the difficulty that I do just getting the unit on their ear, but for me it is problematic... I usually end up using my left hand to pull the tip of my ear out far enough to get the unit on with my right hand.
If you really loved the headset and the only thing which caused you to return it was the loose fit of the charger than I think you made a mistake. That's something that's easilly fixed (as mentioned above with foam tape.) I mean I know it's B.S. and you shouldn't have to go through such extremes with a new product but if you really love the headset I'd think you'd be able to deal with the fix.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #110
barjohn

Adding the mod I described really took care of the problem. It was quick, simple , cheap and effective.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #111
heliox8614

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
If you really loved the headset and the only thing which caused you to return it was the loose fit of the charger than I think you made a mistake. That's something that's easilly fixed (as mentioned above with foam tape.) I mean I know it's B.S. and you shouldn't have to go through such extremes with a new product but if you really love the headset I'd think you'd be able to deal with the fix.

Just my 2 cents.
To be specific, I said that I loved the SQ, not that i loved the headset. I did like it, but the issue with the charger combined with the other two I mentioned made me feel like i could find a more acceptable choice.
I still have the 510, and for my tastes, it also has some minor issues, but i happen to prefer it over the 640.
I think that the 510 is a better unit from an SQ perspective, and even though it's pretty large and has that telemarketer look, I like the way that it feels more secure in/on my ear. It never feels like it might fall off like the 640 always did.
I'm not trying to knock the 640. It sounded great in all but the loudest environments, and even the best unit might have failed at a sold out major league baseball game.
The 510 suites me better, but i am still thinking about trying a few more.
I could be satisfied with the 510 (w/ windsmart), but I also think that if I look around i may find one that is better for my tastes.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #112
heliox8614

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Adding the mod I described really took care of the problem. It was quick, simple , cheap and effective.

I completely agree, but I feel like making that concession is akin to giving Plantronics a free pass for a design mistake that should have never seen the light of day.
If I ran Plantronics I believe that there would be a few in house employment changes.

Plantronics sells these items in a market that is very competitive at the moment, and likely to become more and more competitive in the near future. It is just totally unacceptable to me that this shoddy design ever made before consumer eyes. (*edit* shoddy design referring only to the charger issue)
This eerily resembles the market conditions that have caused so many software companies to turn out buggy and unfinished applications in the past.
I won't go back and look it up, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the 640 was originally released just before Christmas.
Rushing unfinished products out the door in time for the holiday rush is no new malady for the tech industry...

*edit* I actually did go back and look and it appears that the 640 was released mid year (approximately) so the issue isn't about trying to rush a product out in time for the holiday sales rush.

Last edited by heliox8614; 07-06-2006 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #113
frankns

On further review ...

I DID make the mod and added some foam tape ... and to Plantrolnics credit they actually sent me a new one when I called to ask if there was a "fix."

I haven't opened the new box yet ... haven't been sure if I just shouldn't give up on the whole idea.

And then today while driving down the highway, it failed to ring on an incoming call, and shortly afterwards it began to overheat. It became so hot that I could not handle it. The "fix" was to turn off Bluetooth from my 8700.

I've always been a Plantronics booster, but I'm having my doubts about this one!
Closed Thread