Old 07-26-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
MMB916
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Question Bluetooth & Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

A title you have all seen this title before. I have searched the threads and haven't been able to find my issue. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to synch via Bluetooth w/Desktop Manager w/my laptop. On the BB 8700c under Bluetooth, it shows my laptop and on my laptop it shows my BB 8700c. So I follow the instruction in Desktop Manager to go to properties in the BB Device Manager and ensure that Bluetooth is enabled - well, it's grayed out. I can't access that option. I also don't see the COM port listed in the list that I think the BB is synched over (I think it's com4).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Free Blackberry Ring Tones
Free Blackberry Ring Tones Forum
Old 08-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having the same problem...
Old 08-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
webguy

Model: 7250

I can not post a direct link due to I dont have enough post(s) on the forums....

Search the Blackberry knowledge base for the following article...

How To - Set up Bluetooth PC connectivity

blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/1067148/1067313/How_To_-_Set_up_Bluetooth_PC_Connectivity.html?nodeid=1067 250&vernum=0
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Aah, this one? Livelink - Redirection

~MrKyoo
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
MMB916
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Post Thank u very much!!

Will search and follow the article - after that I will update the thread. Thanks for the direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy
I can not post a direct link due to I dont have enough post(s) on the forums....

Search the Blackberry knowledge base for the following article...

How To - Set up Bluetooth PC connectivity

blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/1067148/1067313/How_To_-_Set_up_Bluetooth_PC_Connectivity.html?nodeid=1067 250&vernum=0

Free Blackberry Ring Tones
Free Blackberry Ring Tones Forum
Old 09-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
AmeliaBliss

Model: 7100t
Unhappy Same Problem

I have been having the same problem. However, everything is as it should be according to the knowledge base article. My Bluetooth Places is in Windows, I have the latest software for my device and desktop mananger, and my Blackberry 7100 is already paired with my laptop. However, all options relating to bluetooth in the device manager and desktop manager are still grayed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
AmeliaBliss

Model: 7100t
Red face Oops

My bad. I did read the section on XP Bluetooth software closely enough. Uninstalled the 3rd-party software and now it works fine.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaBliss
My bad. I did read the section on XP Bluetooth software closely enough. Uninstalled the 3rd-party software and now it works fine.

Thanks
Bingo. I'm glad you figured that out and read the instructions. Number one problem.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

how can we be sure if there is 3rd party software, i am having the same problem
Old 09-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
douirc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Cingular (the new ATT)

ok, so I uninstalled the WIDCOMM (3rd party) software from the control panel and my bluetooth device completely disappeared. I rebooted and windows detected a USB device. Instead of going through the WIDCOMM installation process again, I used window's Bluetooth software and installed the device drivers for the BT USB dongle. Now the device is running properly (based on what Windows Device Manager tells me), but I don't have an option in the control panel for BT, nor an icon on the desktop or icon tray. It's there, but it's not there. To make matter worse, BB Device Manager still has the BT option greyed out :(

Any suggestions? Do I need to install some BT software from within windows? I tried the add/remove windows components from the control panel, but couldn't find anything on BT.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

What does it say under Windows Device Manager?

You should also have the BlackBerry Device Manager on the bottom right. Double click on that and see if you can check "Enable Bluetooth Support."

I'm more interested to see what it says under the Windows Device Manager for Bluetooth Radios though.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
douirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief007
What does it say under Windows Device Manager?

You should also have the BlackBerry Device Manager on the bottom right. Double click on that and see if you can check "Enable Bluetooth Support."

I'm more interested to see what it says under the Windows Device Manager for Bluetooth Radios though.
Windows Device Manager shows an icon for Bluetooth Devices and the device ISSC USB Bluetooth Device. If I double click the device to see it's properties, the device status says, "This device is working properly."

The Enable Bluetooth Support in the BB Device Manager is still greyed out.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you go into Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel, do you see anything with Bluetooth or Bluetooth Stack?

If you do, you need to remove that and let Windos Detect the Bluetooth driver.
Also, make sure you are running Windows XP Pro SP 2. It only works with that version.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
douirc

now i see nothing in add/remove programs, but when i first started, there was the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software installed. Now I have no reference to BT at all, anywhere.

Honestly, I think the only resolution is to format my HDD, and after, install the BT dongle from scratch, this time not using the WIDCOMM installation program. Regardless, I have to point to the WIDCOMM directory when Windows asks for the BT drivers, because that's where they're located. If that doesn't do the trick, I've run out of ideas.

i think because WIDCOMM was installed once, it left some software behind, even after uninstalling, which is affecting Windows' installation. I don't know how else it could be affected.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

And you are running Windows XP Pro SP 2??
Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #16
douirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief007
And you are running Windows XP Pro SP 2??
yes
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #17
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc
now i see nothing in add/remove programs, but when i first started, there was the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software installed. Now I have no reference to BT at all, anywhere.

Honestly, I think the only resolution is to format my HDD, and after, install the BT dongle from scratch, this time not using the WIDCOMM installation program. Regardless, I have to point to the WIDCOMM directory when Windows asks for the BT drivers, because that's where they're located. If that doesn't do the trick, I've run out of ideas.

i think because WIDCOMM was installed once, it left some software behind, even after uninstalling, which is affecting Windows' installation. I don't know how else it could be affected.
WIDCOMM is not supported in the desktop manager. You need Windows to install the BT stacks. I suggest disconnecting the dongle, going into Device Manager and deleting the BT entries.

Then connect the dongle and redo the install.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #18
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Here's a great thread you should read. I used this to get my D-Link (non-supported) dongle to work.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...ght=kensington
Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
PGChi

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile
Default Desktop Manager prompting for password

OK So I hope some of you must have set up the BB handheld to sync via BlueTooth to your Desktop Manager. I have it and it works great however I have a small configuration issue here. As is generally the case, if a device is trusted the connection is established without prompting either of the paired device for the counterpart device being in proximity so I was hoping the same here as well. My latop trusts the Blackberry and so does the blackberry that trusts the laptop.
Now consider a case where you temporarily move away from the laptop (carrying the cell phone) so that the device loses connectivity with the laptop. When you return ideally the devices (laptop & HandHeld) should reconnect seamlessly which does not happen and the desktop manager prompts for a confirmation before connection is established. I don't like it and I want the handheld to connect automatically with my laptop without prompting me for a connection confirmation.

Can anyone suggest what do I need to do to trust these pairs? The device properties under Handheld's Options=> BlueTooth=> Device properties has Trusted set to Yes. Same way on Windows XP side the bluetooth setting under Control Panel =>Options=> has "Allow bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" checked.

What am I missing?

Last edited by PGChi; 09-27-2006 at 04:35 PM..
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

If the BlackBerry has a password on it, then this is by design. It will do that no matter what.
Closed Thread