BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
CTComputeDOTcom

Model: 8700c
Default 8700c to sync with bluetooth enabled dell

Please Login to Remove!

Howdy,

I have a bluetooth enabled dell laptop that is able to see and connect to my blackberry 8700c wirelessly via bluetooth. How do I get the darn bluetooth desktop manager to now sync with the blackberry?

In the past, i would have to use the USB cable to connect them both...I want to use the wireless functionality now.

Is there a certain application I have to download?

Any help for a newbie to blackberries would be very kind.

Many thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
hotsauce26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cingular

I have the same question been trying to do this for three days now
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
kerryg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Currently Bluetooth syncing from TMO is not supported.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Using a Bluetooth connection to sync your BlackBerry (which has nothing to do with your provider) has some specific requirements. Specifically (taken directly from KB-04132):
  1. Your computer must be running Windows XP SP2
  2. Your computer must be running the Bluetooth software that comes with Windows XP SP2
  3. Your computer must be running Desktop Manager 4.1 or later
  4. Your BlackBerry device must be running BlackBerry device software 4.1 or later
  5. If you have an account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it must be running software version 4.0 Service Pack 3 or later
  6. The following IT policies must be set to FALSE (by the system administrator):
    1. Disable Desktop Connectivity
    2. Disable Wireless Bypass
The default setting for the policies above is TRUE!

For full details, see BlackBerry Support Knowledge Base Article KB-04132: How To - Set up Bluetooth PC connectivity

It is my understanding (with very limited experience) that if your PCs Bluetooth uses a custom driver and not Microsoft's as described in item 2 above, you will not be able to make a Bluetooth connection.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
CTComputeDOTcom

Model: 8700c

I don't have an account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server account. However, I can get as far as step 6 of the KB article. Number 2 of step 6 - Configure Bluetooth on Your Computer - the option for Enable Bluetooth support is grayed out and not an option.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
hotsauce26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

mine to
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
kerryg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Yes, it can be an issue with your provider as it is part of the service book provided by your carrier. T-Mobile has said, and I have called several times to ask different techs, that they do not support syncing or modem functions using Bluetooth at this time.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Cingular-Blue 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/101)

My ATTW 7290 has Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass (and headset/hands-free), as does my wife's TMO 8700g. Mine works, hers don't.

I think the problem with hers is related to her Dell (or PC if you want to discount the brand as an issue).

There is nothing in my Service Books to indicate my carrier's involvement.

One other thing I could try is connecting her 8700g to my home-built PC.

Steve
Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
jfkuchta

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Bluetooth Synch

Sorry for the double post, but still can't post links.

Short of being on the BES, the Bluetooth sync is good stuff. Here's a couple areas where I got hung up and hope this helps others:

Follow the knlowledge article on Bluetooth sync to a T. There's really no easy way to skip any of the steps. There are workarounds however. I apologize for not being able to summarize with proper links to threads, but I'm new blood and can't post links yet. With proper key word searches on this site, you should be able to find any appropriate workarounds.

From what I have read so far, the folllowing two issues seem to be what's holding the majority of people up:

1. Bluetooth adaptor/dongle: in order for the SP2 drivers to find your adaptor/dongle, it must be supported by your bth.inf file. If not, see Morser's post on this subject for a way to edit the bth.inf file. Once that file has your adaptor/dongle info, the SP2 drivers should load.

2. No matter how you try to avoid it, you must have "Desktop Connectivity" and "Wireless Bypass" listed under your Bluetooth options. For those not on BES or do not have access to an IT person that can push you a BES policy, this is tricky. From what I have read and tried, a fresh policy.bin will not help here. You will need a BES to push these policies to your device. Now, a little secret that may get me in trouble with the folks at RIM - they do operate a test BES and can push the policy to you (they did it for me). Just a word of advice on how to approach it - do not call RIM directly; they always want you to try to get the problem solved by your carrier's Tech support. While we all know that the carriers' tech support can not help on this type of issue, go ahead and humor them with a call first, and when they can not figure it out, they will put you in touch with RIM tech support. Now, RIM tech support will also not be forthcoming with the fact that they can push a policy to you, so let them go through the checklist with you. When you get to the point of discussing the missing policy issues, they will explain that you need to be on a BES. Mention to them that this is not possible for you, and you are dissapointed that they are not able to assist. At that point, assuming your speaking with someone who is not a complete jerk, they should tell you that they will escalate your case and get back to you within 24 hours. When they get back to you, they should push the policies to you from their test BES. If you have a way for someone else to push these policies to you, try that first before hitting up RIM as I really don't think they are keen on doing this. I understand RIM's security issues and stance here, but I also believe that they need to catch up to their constantly increasing base of consumer (not business) users that may not be on a BES or have access to one and have a restrictive policy (due to e-bay purchase or otherwise).

3. If desktop manager still can not find your device, try pairing by having your device find your computer (and not vice versa) and then let Desktop Manager find your device.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Winston S.
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg
Yes, it can be an issue with your provider as it is part of the service book provided by your carrier. T-Mobile has said, and I have called several times to ask different techs, that they do not support syncing or modem functions using Bluetooth at this time.
I'm not sure what to tell you but I have been syncing via Bluetooth with my US T-Mobile 8700g since I purchased it in late April. It took a little tinkering but it does work.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
g0tb00st

Model: 8800c

JerryD, you're the man! I got it to work with the link that you provided. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out how to sync my laptop and the BB.
Closed Thread